1996 nba draft grades

skate1385
1996 nba draft grades

76ers 1. Allen Iverson MVP ROY 11 time all star 4 time scoring champion 2 time all star game MVP

Raptors 2. Kobe Bryant 1 time mvp 12 time all star 2 time scoring champion 2 time final mvp 5 time nba champion 3 time all star game mvp

Grizzlies 3. Ray allne 9 time all star 1 time nba champion 1 time 3 point shootout chanpion

Bucks 4.Steve Nash 2 time MVP 7 time all star 2 time skills challenge

Timberwolvrs 5.Jermanie O'Neal 1time MIP 6 time all star

Boston 6.Peja Stojakovic 3 time all star 2 time 3 point shootout chanpion

LAC 7.Stephon marbury 2 time all star

Nets 8.Antoine walker 3 time all star

Dallas 9.Zydrunas Ilguskas 2 time all star

pacers 10.Marcus Camby 2 time DPY

GSW 11.Derek Fisher 5 time nba chanpoion

This is the top 11 players in the 1996 nba draft

Michael.S.
So this is a draft re-do? In

So this is a draft re-do? In that case I'd have Nash over Allen.

WizKid
WizKid's picture
Lol Derek Fisher I'd take Ben

Lol Derek Fisher I'd take Ben Wallace maybe???

creepingdef
creepingdef's picture
76ers 1. Kobe Bryant Raptors

76ers 1. Kobe Bryant

Raptors 2. Allen Iverson

Grizzlies 3. Steve Nash

Bucks 4.Ray Allen

Timberwolves 5.Jermaine O'Neal

Boston 6. Stephon Marbury

LAC 7. Peja Stojakovic

Nets 8.Antoine Walker

Dallas 9.Marcus Camby

Pacers 10.Zydrunas Ilgauskas

Pacers 11. Derek Fisher

mwalling2117
mwalling2117's picture
Kobe?

Really, Iverson number 1 over Kobe?

NJHooper95
NJHooper95's picture
Toss up AI Kobe

If you are going by a individual standpoint then you cant go wrong with either Iverson or Kobe at Number One. If you throw in team success then of course you have to go with Kobe but you have to take in account both of their supporting cast. I think individually its a toss up. Iverson pound for pound maybe the greatest player to ever play,definitely one of the greatest if not greatest little guy of all-time. Kobe definitely top ten all-time imo.

Michael.S.
Agree w/ NJHooper, well said.

Agree w/ NJHooper, well said.

llperez
llperez's picture
even when both kobe and

even when both kobe and iverson were in their prime, most people gave kobe the edge. And now the last 5 years and for the forseeable future, its not even close. Also, these arent draft "grades" this is just you redoing the draft.

NJHooper95
NJHooper95's picture
Not True IIPerez

I understand these are draft grades, but you are incorrect about Kobe being mentioned as the more dominant player in their prime. If that was the case, why did Iverson receive an MVP award in 2001 and Kobe 2008. Kobe is the man, no doubt but individually, aside from titles they were on an even plain. Iverson was unquestionably the leader of his team in Philly, while Kobe has played second fiddle through most of his titles. Lets get it straight!

Demarcus Oneal
Demarcus Oneal's picture
Are you serious you would

Are you serious you would pick Iverson over Kobe you must not watch basketball or something

NJHooper95
NJHooper95's picture
Oneal who is that question

Who is that question for?

llperez
llperez's picture
lets get what straight? that

lets get what straight? that iverson won 1 mvp award while he had hos own team to do what he wanted and kobe was all first team while sharing the ball with shaq. Not to mention kobe was the far superior defender and played both sides and leads by example with his work ethic while the other guy is known to complain about practice. I was watching their entire careers first hand, most(not all) said kobe was better back from 2000 and on, not just me.

Michael.S.
Iverson killed Kobe everytime

Iverson killed Kobe everytime they went h2h. If Iverson had Shaq and Kobe had Iverson's team I think Kobe would have 0 rings whilr Iverson would have 5 or so too.

llperez
llperez's picture
from 2000- to right now, kobe

from 2000- to right now, kobe has been on 8 all nba first teams. Iverson has been on 2 first teams in that same span.

llperez
llperez's picture
iverson killed kobe head to

iverson killed kobe head to head everytime? Do you honestly have stats for that or are you just throwing it out there?

llperez
llperez's picture
and theres no way to tell who

and theres no way to tell who would have titles. We could say "add name here" playing with shaq would have x amount of titles for lots of guys when shaq was in his prime. Kobe played d and was much mroe efficient an overall offensive player.

Michael.S.
just throwing that out

just throwing that out there...Iverson did come in the league at around 21 while Kobe came in at 18...factor that in.

Demarcus Oneal
Demarcus Oneal's picture
Its for skate 1345 honestly

Its for skate 1345 honestly anyone who would pick Iverson over Kobe doesnt watch basketball

llperez
llperez's picture
yeah, im not gonna argue

yeah, im not gonna argue iverson was better through the 90's. He defenitely was. But once kobe hit age 21 in 2000, give me kobe any day over iverson. Theres a reason you dont hear people talking about iverson being compared with jordan. I would be willing to bet anything the sixers take kobe over iverson if they could redo the draft today.

Ang Puti Lalaki
Ang Puti Lalaki's picture
I VS K

Iverson had to carry his teams!

while kobe rode on the coattails of Shaq and Gasol,

anybody remember how bad the lakers were when it was Kobe's team After Shaq and before Gasol?

Michael.S.
jus because you say so? ok.

jus because you say so? ok.

Michael.S.
I would be willing to bet

I would be willing to bet anything the sixers take kobe over iverson if they could redo the draft today.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

And he wouldn't win anything. He would not have been a better player than AI was with those teams

llperez
llperez's picture
kobe road shaq's coattails?

kobe road shaq's coattails? Not even close. SHaq was better, but kobe was doing serious work and was the man with the ball in his hands at the end of games. And you also might want to point out that the lakers were in full rebuilding mode for a few years after shaq left. How many deep playoiff runs was iverson making at that time again? And lakers were in first place in the west and on there way to about 55 wins BEFORE pau showed up.

llperez
llperez's picture
lemmon, and you know that

lemmon, and you know that how? And i dont judge who was better strictly off wins. Kobe was better then iverson regardless of wins.

Michael.S.
If kobe had 0 championshups

If kobe had 0 championshups today and Iverson had 5 would you still say that?

Michael.S.
Kobe has player with the most

Kobe has player with the most dominant player of our generation, AI played with Eric Snow.

Hale
Hale's picture
perez

I coulda sworn the Suns were in first that year at that point.

llperez
llperez's picture
iverson never won so it

iverson never won so it doesnt matter who his teammates were. If he won with a crappy team, then i would give him more credit. He couldnt even make a deep playoff run with melo on his team. His one deep playoff run, the east sucked and they got spanked in the finals by the lakers. And again, i dont rank guys just off wins. KObe was better regardless of wins just like karl malone is better then dennis rodman even though rodman got the rings over him.

NJHooper95
NJHooper95's picture
Thanks Jammin- Lemon

Perez, Im not saying Iverson is the superior player, Im saying that invidually they were or the same page at one time, not now of course. Like Jammin said if you give Kobe the teams AI played with how many rings would he have now? Would he still be on first team all-nba with those philly teams? Kobe work ethic is one of the best ever, but that just shows you how great a 5/11 165 shooting guard was; who could go for 50 on any nite without practice. How could you underestimate a guy like that? Could you imagine if AI was at least 6/3 Wow? I love Kobe, but hearts dont come much bigger than the one AI possessed. Also when Kobe had his own teams and Not winning he was crying, trying to get Andrew Bynum traded, because he wanted more help!

llperez
llperez's picture
@yupyup, the lakers were in

@yupyup, the lakers were in first at some point in late january. They then lost a handful of games becasue bynum and ariza both went down a few weeks aprat and then i believe the suns and maybe even another team passed them.

llperez
llperez's picture
im not underestimating

im not underestimating iverson. I fully respect everything he did. I just said he wasnt better then kobe.

Michael.S.
I wouldn't say the lakers

I wouldn't say the lakers spanked the sixers....

"He couldnt even make a deep playoff run with melo on his team"

He was aging, that team was FULL of immature knuckleheads, and that was his first year.

Hale
Hale's picture
Thank you for clearing that

Thank you for clearing that up.

llperez
llperez's picture
it was 4-1 and the only loss

it was 4-1 and the only loss was game 1 in ot after the lakers hadnt played in 10 days. Those games were only as close as they were becasue the lakers played down to the competition becasue they knew they had the finlas in the bag.

Michael.S.
they knew they had the finals

they knew they had the finals in the bag after losing game 1 on their home court?IDK

Michael.S.
Anyways, you win.... But,

Anyways, you win....

But, when is the fantasy draft? What time? thanlks

llperez
llperez's picture
i dont win, its all just

i dont win, its all just opinion. If people feel iverson was better or it was a toss up and kobe only has the edge becasue of rings, then all i can say is i disagree. But what you mean you dont know when the draft is, come on now.

NJHooper95
NJHooper95's picture
Whats Good with Draft

Whats good, can i get in on that fantasy draft?

Michael.S.
Its the 16, I know, I just

Its the 16, I know, I just don't wanna argue anymore, so I changed the subject : )

Michael.S.
18th

18th

Michael.S.
ask perez, its his league,

ask perez, its his league, its full but i don't think every1's active.

llperez
llperez's picture
NJhooper, we're full. Our

NJhooper, we're full. Our draft is this saturday though, if you leave your email and something opens up i can send you an invite.

NJHooper95
NJHooper95's picture
Perez let me know

Perez let me know if someone doesnt participate, be happy to join if thats ok.

NJHooper95
NJHooper95's picture
Ok Cool

Ok Perez thats cool, thanks, I will do that.

llperez
llperez's picture
yeah, i know about 13 or 14

yeah, i know about 13 or 14 of the 20 are for sure active. I might kick 1 or 2 people out still who havent responded to me.

CodySLC
CodySLC's picture
Iverson over Kobe? And Allen

Iverson over Kobe? And Allen over Nash?

midwestbbscout
midwestbbscout's picture
Camby

I would probably take Camby ahead of a lot of these guys....big guys that defend as good as Camby for that long are hard to come by.....I'd rather have him than Jermaine O'Neal any day....

Mr. 19134
Mr. 19134's picture
There was a lot of pressure

There was a lot of pressure in this city (Philly) for the Sixers to take the local prodigy Kobe first overall.

But the Sixers thought that the number one pick was too high and the front office at the time thought Allen Iverson was exactly the spark plug that the city needed to bring basketball back to relevance in this city. And boy were they ever right. After watching Iverson's decade in Philly I wouldn't of traded him for anybody. And I hated the trade to Denver when it did happen. Iverson was averaging 33 points a game when we traded him. With Iverson on the team not only was he the most unique exciting talent to watch I ever saw play basketball. And even with this slew of super athletic guards coming into the league like Russ, Rose, and Wall I still have never saw anybody compared to the speed Iverson use to have.

Iverson like Kobe was stone cold killer. Always going for the jugular. He didn't look at any legends of the game like his idol or even current stars like they were better. His mentality was he would make them earn his respect before he gave them respect and we love that as our franchise player.

Kobe would of struggled early in his career playing for the Sixers and would of probably eventually demanded a trade after he didn't win like he wanted too. Kobe always wanted to be a Laker and thats why right after the draft Philly made him the black sheep because he was always a Laker at heart thats the only team he wanted to play for.

Iverson was an instant impact averaging 23 points, and 7.5 assists his rookie year. Imagine a rookie putting up numbers like that now. He had one of the best rookie years of all time and also one of the best careers. His only downfall is that he didn't win a title but Billy King was our GM at the time and he is a terrible talent evaluator. He game Kenny THomas like a 60 mil deal. Gave Geiger like 70 mil. Billy King was terrible. he drafted Larry Hughes when the whole city was screaming for Paul Pierce and in hindsight Dirk would of been a great pick.

But the worse part of the A.I. Era was when we came in second in the Duncan lottery.

We settled for Van Horn at 2nd while the Spurs got Duncan one.

Imagine if the Sixers would of got Duncan in that draft and what that franchise would of done with A.I. and Duncan. Iverson would of def got some chips under his belt.

But if I could do it over

1. Allen Iverson

2. Kobe Bryant (it would of been a lot harder for him to develop with the Sixers then the Lakers with Shaq and Eddie Jones)

3. Steve Nash

4. Ray Allen

5. Antoine Walker ( I think people forget how good he was in his prime. And he did get a chip.)

yadskii
there's no way u can argue

there's no way u can argue wit iverson go'n number 1 if u realistically think about everything he accomplish'd then ticcet sales tv ratings jersey sells nd everything else

llperez
llperez's picture
so kobe didnt sell tickets or

so kobe didnt sell tickets or jerseys?

yadskii
kobe did but iverson was a

kobe did but iverson was a generation icon

RSS: Syndicate content