This topic contains 14 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar Lotto Stud 12 years, 11 months ago.

• Author
    COtf33
    Participant

I was looking through some of the picks from the 95′ Draft. I noticed a juco pick Martin Lewis from Seward County CC where he avg 22.6 PPG and 8.2 RPG. Anyone remember this guy or have a clue as to what he did in the league? It is not often that a juco guy gets drafted and pans out in the league.

the microwave
    Participant

kedrick brown was another jc one…. (he was garbage)

ilike.panochas
    Participant

Qyntell Woods says HI ! Shawn Kemp is the only JUCO player I know that has panned out.

ghettosermon
    Participant

Quintel Woods was a Juco player taken #21 overall by the Blazers in 2002. He was a bust and it was definitely a buyer beware pick. He was hella talented but the whole reason he was playing Juco ball was because of his character issues. Not surprisingly being on the then Jailblazers it was his legal issues that lead to his eventual demise from the league. I remember reading a story a few years back of him getting kicked off his Euro club for drugs. Some people never change I get. Drafting Juco players is risky. You worry about level of competition, plus the majority of talented players who are playing Juco ball are there because of characfter issues or inability to stay academically eligible.

mikeyvthedon
    Participant

He was part of a 5 player trade the Raptors made so that BJ Armstrong did not have to play in Toronto. I liked him, in what little I saw of him, he was an athletic 2 guard, but definitely was nothing to special by NBA standards. Most of these guys do really well in college though, and at the JUCO level. It is a league full of guys who usually have been pretty awesome amateur basketball players.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/lewisma01.html

I remembered him as being named Michael Lewis, but Michael McDonald was the other rookie we got from the Armstrong deal. The only guy out of that deal who really played for us was Carlos Rogers, but it was cool since our PG was Damon Stoudamire, who I would have definitely taken over BJ. If our backcourt would have been Damon and BJ, we would have been in deep trouble.

As for another JUCO guy that panned out, look no further than Stephen Jackson. Shawn Kemp never even played in JUCO, but those are the only two guys who really had good careers as drafted JUCO guys. Kedrick Brown was taken 11th out of JUCO, but he was not exactly a long standing pro.

gone
    Participant

Didnt Rodman go to a JUCO …cant remeber I know Birdman did though

COtf33
    Participant

He was a good workout player, but once it came down to the game he was 10 steps behind everyone else. Awful pick by Boston at the time.

paradigmn
    Participant

for his one season in Toronto…$200,000….just for being a bust…sign me up 4 that!!!

surve
    Participant

I dont count Kemp, he went to a Community College and he didnt even play there.  He was basically a straight outta HS, he just sat a year.  I think Kemp, Mourning, and Kenny Williams were the top HS players.

Lotto Stud
    Participant

Qyntel slid in that 02 Draft because he admitted to MJ & others that he blew it down. I f it were not for him being so honest he would have been a "lotto f*ckin stud!"

WinterSoldier
    Participant

I’m pretty sure Scottie Pippen was Juco.

paradigmn
    Participant

university of central arkansas

JoeWolf1

Seward County CC is in SW Kansas down by Oklahoma, I don’t remember him though I was only 13 in 1995.  Bulter County where Stephen Jackson played is also in Kansas near Wichita. 

Aleksandar Radojevic was drafted in the lottery by Toronto out of Barton County CC in Kansas as well, but he was very far from panning out.

Steve Francis played Juco Ball before going to Maryland for a year, if you can count that.

TRC1991
    Participant

i think its fair to say that JUCO players dont pan out in the league…remember, theres a reason they are at a JUCO, its usually cuz they have character/academic issues

Lotto Stud
    Participant

Devean George had a very lengthy career!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login