This topic contains 9 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar khaled_a_d 5 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
    Arc12345
    Participant

Really bold take from NBAdraft.net to project Ja Morant going first in the 2019 draft. Don’t see it happening, but I think he’s certainly a special prospect.

Obviously Zion has the unicorn appeal going, but maybe it’s not so set in stone that he goes number 1 after all. I think Barrett will also be in the mix as well despite seemingly falling from 1, to 2, and now 3.

There’s a lot of time between now and the draft, but it’s hard for me to see anyone other than Zion going first. I wasn’t a huge fan of this draft class (especially compared to last year), but I think this could be an underratedely good draft with prospects like Zion, Barrett, Morant, Langford, Reddish, Bol, Hachimura, Porter Jr and others.

KIP Baller
    Participant

It is a pretty bold take to move Ja ahead of Zion but it may come down to which team drafts first. If Cleveland has #1 like the current mock or Atlanta who just drafted Young has the top pick, it will definitely be Zion. If Chicago or Orlando end up with top pick I could see them leaning heavily toward Ja since they already have foundational pieces at pf. Suns and NY would be a coinflip because they have needs at pf and pg. 

Arc12345
      Participant

Teams are going to take the best player. Period. Just because you have Magic Johnson doesn’t mean you should pass on John Stockton if you think he’s the best player in the draft. 

Great players make it work.

holefillers1
    Participant

The league is still run by two way wings. I think is is the reason for the shake up at the top of this recent mock.  My opinion of Zion’s game is he will translate more to a Blake Griffin on offense and slightly better on D.  Is Morant is like a Westbrook/Fox type guard.  Should be interesting to see how this draft shakes out.  Something tells me the best player may end up going outside the top three.  

MettaWorldDurant1
      Participant

I was thinking the Blake comp too but Blake is around 255 lbs and is no where near as mobile as Zion who is 285 lbs also Zion is a much better scorer and defender  at the same age ..Zion has the better guard skills although Blake maybe a better facilitator- passer ..I also like Morant but I can’t say he’s better than D Fox so how can you justify taking him over a prospect like Zion who’s  gonna be in the group with Giannis, LeBron , Ben Simmons and Kd who are impossible to deal with going to the rim he’s an all star for sure and he gonna sell tickets

MettaWorldDurant1
      Participant

I was thinking the Blake comp too but Blake is around 255 lbs and is no where near as mobile as Zion who is 285 lbs also Zion is a much better scorer and defender  at the same age ..Zion has the better guard skills although Blake maybe a better facilitator- passer ..I also like Morant but I can’t say he’s better than D Fox so how can you justify taking him over a prospect like Zion who’s  gonna be in the group with Giannis, LeBron , Ben Simmons and Kd who are impossible to deal with going to the rim he’s an all star for sure and he gonna sell tickets when the generational talent is right in front you take it

kobyz
      Participant

I believe Zion gonna have Chris Webber type impact…

OhCanada-
    Participant

If Trae Young was as big and athletic as Ja Morant would you pick him over Deandre Ayton. Im not saying Morant over Williamson would be my pick but I cant say it bothers me.

HeroescantdieHeroescantdie
      Heroescantdie
      Participant

But Morant don’t have the shooting ability and range of Young, hopefully someday he’ll be close to that shooting of young. To me, I don’t think he’s as athletic as westbrook, altough he is more athletic than Fox in verticality, he should also put some weight on that frame. Zion on the other hand, I don’t know if his shooting will improve like griffin, we cannot tell. plus the risk of injury to him since he has so much mass and I don’t know if that knee can hold regularly that mass. They are both a risk but their production and athletic abilities and potential outweigh that 

khaled_a_d
    Participant

Talked about it in another thread (Rapid changes in opinion – site mock), I really liked the move
    I think Morant will make it close race, probably he has the biggest chance for any non freshman to be picked 1st in this decade (Blake was the last one btw)
    Also, he is young sophomore, of the last 9 1st overall picks (all freshmen) Ben Simmons,Ayton & Bennett was older than him during draft, Wall & Kat were almost same age too
    His game is very solid IMHO, I think he will be the next dominant PG in the league. Zion for me has higher ceiling but lower floor IMO, with Ja teams probably have better idea what they are getting.
    Long time before the draft, I still think Zion will end up 1st but it is close race

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login