This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar Memphis Madness 6 years, 10 months ago.

• Author
    publius2481
    Participant

The new CBA allows each team to have two players with two-way contracts. In essence, these players can be shifted between D-League and the NBA, but the players cost a lot less (50,000 to 75,000) if they are playing in D-League. The upshot of this is teams can control players rights for a small price. This may change teams strategies in the second round. So I was wondering:

1. What affect will it have on selling picks?

We often see teams buy into the second round, but having a way to control rights on a player without adding them to the 15 man roster should make these picks more valuable. Going forward I think we will see less of this.

2. What affect will this have on Draft and Stash strategies?

Because teams still control their rights, it made sense to draft international players overseas and see if they develop rather than draft a player who will not make roster anyways, so they would simply cut. Now, teams have another way to retain a player’s rights. While draft and stash of second rounders is not going to end (if teams think a player is talented but for some reason cannot come over right away, they are going to take them), this may change who teams choose to draft.

Fuqdatass
    Participant

there will be less draft and stash overseas picks in this draft because of these new two-way contracts.  

holefillers1
    Participant

I think it may have effected the draft already. Look how few Euro’s remained in draft

Memphis Madness
    Participant

Not sure.  I think it effects the back half of the first round.

Don’t see much difference in guys in the 15 to 25 range than guys in the 30-45 range.  

If you are at 28-30 you might as well trade into the 2nd round, find a Euro Stash guy or a G League 2 way guy.  Ok, so you can get an 8th man at 20 or a 10th man at 40.  What’s the difference?  5 more minutes a night?

This draft is top five, then top 10, after that, 11 to about 40 or so, finally, your last 20 picks which will be G Leaguer 2 way guys and Euro Stash guys aka our team is running out of money, the luxury tax went up, and we aren’t named the Golden State Warriors.  

I can see a top tier Euro stash guy going earlier, like, late first round.  If you stay in Europe they don’t have to pay that money, right?  But, you have their rights longer when they DO get back… Could be a good possibility for Portland at 15, 20, and 26 — so you get Hartenstein, and two more guys like that… or you sell the picks for cash and a future 1st rounder…

If I am Golden State I really want Ezeli, 20, and 26 from Portland.  I would give them Damian Jones, Kevon Looney, and a future first round pick…

So, even if Iggy leaves, and McChulia leaves, you still have Patrick McCaw off the bench as your athletic Swiss Army Knife still on a rookie deal, and Ezeli as your starting center who can give you at the very least 25 minutes a night.  At 20 and 26 you sign an extra big man (Bell? Motley?) and an extra perimeter guy (Sindarius Thornwell?) and that gives you 8 guys.  Call up Barnes and West, give them a couple of year deals each.  That gives you 10 guys.  AND, those guys can be had fairly cheap… finally, throw the rest of your money at the ageless Shaun Livingston, and maybe give him 3 years instead of 2 (basically the rest of the Warriors 4peat).  

They have less depth at center, but Ezeli is probably better (all around) than either Pachulia or McGee, and the quartet of McCaw, Livingston, Barnes, and Sindarius Thornwell can match the production lost by Iggy leaving (and Ian Clark leaving).  

You probably play Durant at center more (which would be a good thing).  Dray already places a lot of center anyway.  David West steps in as the nominal backup center.  Then they go out and sign and emergency 3rd string center after the free agent market crashes.

Your new MEGA DEATH lineup becomes Curry, McCaw, Klay, Draymond, and Durant with a variation that substitutes plug-and-play Matt Barnes for McCaw.  Barnes isn’t as athletic or well-rounded as Iggy but he can space the floor a bit better and likes to keep the ball moving.  He’s also better at getting under people’s skin.  

nill650
    Participant

The international stash option was less expected as previously coming into this week  for sure becasue of the 2 way …at least until the Salary Cap projection dropped…just in time for the draft which should regain attn to stash options. But the thing is a lot of Intl prospects like Mushidi and Kurucs dropped out that were projected on the first round bubble because they were not valued nearly as much as in past drafts except by teams with multiple picks. 

I don’t expect any team with less than 2 picks total to go intl in the 2nd round unless they are already over the cap, but even then they are more likely to trade the pick for cash or futures unless an intl prospect that was projected late first drops to early 2nd like Hartenstein or Bolden.

Memphis Madness
    Participant

If I am Portland, I am taking Hartenstein at 15 or 20.  Definitely by 26.

If the Pacers blow it up then I am taking Hartenstein at 18 if he is there.

Those two way guys get $75,000 BUT they the player can reject the contract — it is kinda weird.  

So, you might need to wait until the 45-50th pick to do that… So, the back end of the second round looks like 2 Way City.

Then early 2nd round are the "solid talent" guys who you might have looked at with a 25th pick.  That 15 to 35 range shifts down a bit.

You take the Euro Stash guys somewhere after 14-15.  Guys you might not need (and don’t wanna pay right away), but can use in the future — then when he comes over you have his rights for 3 years.

The cap went DOWN, so Money Management will be important this year.

Not sure, but I THINK each team can have TWO 2 way guys.  So, if you have two late 2nd rounders you get a 3 and D utility swing man and an extra big/shot blocker.  So, 45-60.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login