This topic contains 18 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar Detroit Fanaddict 10 years, 9 months ago.

• Author
    Detroit Fanaddict
    Participant

Is anybody else getting tired of NBA coaches getting fired after one or two years?

I think way to much power is going to the players now days. Its like when a team isn’t playing well the first thing to get is the coach. How bout re-tuning the roster first? Two years MAY be a good amount of time to get a feel for what direction the coach will take the team, but GM’s can’t not expect Roam to be built in a day. Coaches should be more empowered, have more say in sculpting the team (via draft, trade and free agency). It must be nice as a player knowing if things aren’t going your way you can just walk in the front office and say “either he’s gone or I’m out”. Now days as a coach anything shy of a championship means you’re in trouble come the off season.

All I’m saying is how about instead of making roster moves and hiring a coach into a winning situation, how bout we give them more time to create a winning situation. Unless a coach is CLEARLY doing something very wrong no coach should be fired in just one short year.

drk3351
    Participant

I agree. For example the Bobcats fired Mike Dunlap after 1 short year where the team made progress. I mean the Cats had the least amount of talent in the league what does the management expect? I mean no one told you to hire a college assistant coach but if you do give him a chance for at least 2 years.

drk3351
    Participant

I agree. For example the Bobcats fired Mike Dunlap after 1 short year where the team made progress. I mean the Cats had the least amount of talent in the league what does the management expect? I mean no one told you to hire a college assistant coach but if you do give him a chance for at least 2 years.

BenchWarmer
    Participant

Scapegoats for struggling teams. Management doesnt want to take blame.
    Maurice Cheeks is the epitome of this. Dude puts up with the Jailblazers and gets fired before getting a chance to coach real professionals. Then he has to put up with Allen Iverson in Philly. He coaches uncoachable players and teams then gets sacked like he was the problem. He will finally get a chance to coach without all the bullsh!t.. let’s hope the Pistons don’t draft Shabazz

Detroit Fanaddict
      Participant

I agree, especially about Shabazz, lol.

Detroit Fanaddict
      Participant

I agree, especially about Shabazz, lol.

BenchWarmer
    Participant

Scapegoats for struggling teams. Management doesnt want to take blame.
    Maurice Cheeks is the epitome of this. Dude puts up with the Jailblazers and gets fired before getting a chance to coach real professionals. Then he has to put up with Allen Iverson in Philly. He coaches uncoachable players and teams then gets sacked like he was the problem. He will finally get a chance to coach without all the bullsh!t.. let’s hope the Pistons don’t draft Shabazz

db24kb24
    Participant

IMO It’s really not about W’s or L’s it’s about creating a healthy and positive culture. These are byproducts of both playing and conducting business as a coach and organization the right way. If a coach can come in a grab a hold of the team, earn the players respect, management will see this and fall in line.

Those who have constant run-ins with players get fired, those who have stern but healthy relationships last. A carries and plays with the attitude of a coach. As a coach you either have “it” or you don’t.

db24kb24
    Participant

IMO It’s really not about W’s or L’s it’s about creating a healthy and positive culture. These are byproducts of both playing and conducting business as a coach and organization the right way. If a coach can come in a grab a hold of the team, earn the players respect, management will see this and fall in line.

Those who have constant run-ins with players get fired, those who have stern but healthy relationships last. A carries and plays with the attitude of a coach. As a coach you either have “it” or you don’t.

Memphis Madness
    Participant

Players turn over every year too.

Memphis Madness
    Participant

Players turn over every year too.

Jr. ROXAS
    Participant

I totally agree with you Detroit Fan. Another coach who was unfairly let go in my opinion was Byron Scott. The guy has been dealing with injuries the whole year, you cant expect the cavs to win much games. Irving was too oft injured along with waiters. Their main big man varejao was out for the season. Scott had to start guys like livingston, gee, and ellington who are all good players but much better off as role players..

Detroit Fanaddict
      Participant

I saw NO credible reason to fire Byron Scott. He’s a good coach! Had Lebron stayed in Cleveland his reputation as a coach would have sky-rocketed. It would have been a WINNING coaching situation. IMO Mike Brown is not a very good coach. His reputation was boosted in his years with Cleveland, but even HE deserved more time to fix the Lakers than he got.

Detroit Fanaddict
      Participant

I saw NO credible reason to fire Byron Scott. He’s a good coach! Had Lebron stayed in Cleveland his reputation as a coach would have sky-rocketed. It would have been a WINNING coaching situation. IMO Mike Brown is not a very good coach. His reputation was boosted in his years with Cleveland, but even HE deserved more time to fix the Lakers than he got.

Jr. ROXAS
    Participant

I totally agree with you Detroit Fan. Another coach who was unfairly let go in my opinion was Byron Scott. The guy has been dealing with injuries the whole year, you cant expect the cavs to win much games. Irving was too oft injured along with waiters. Their main big man varejao was out for the season. Scott had to start guys like livingston, gee, and ellington who are all good players but much better off as role players..

jjbutler73
    Participant

This won’t change. You have 12-15 players averaging $5 million plus, guaranteed, and 1 coach averaging $2 million, not guaranteed. Take away guaranteed salaries, make players earn their money, and things will change.

Detroit Fanaddict
      Participant

Yes but since the players are getting payed more doesn’t it make more sense to address them first?

I’m curious to know how Jason Kidd will work out as the Nets new head coach. Know Jason is a smart NBA vet and a future hall of famer but personally I don’t see the current Nets team title contenders. I don’t like the concept of 2 ball dominant guards (D Will, J Johnson). Neither one plays well off the ball. Brook Lopez is more a power forward than a center IMO (solid post game, average rebounder, average defender), they need a TRUE center. The Brooklyn Nets are the perfect example of letting a coach retool the roster and shaping it into a more winning team. I know it would be hard to let go of a player like Joe Johnson but his contract is WAY too cancerous and he’s not a good “off” guard. If they can they need to move him ASAP. Wonder if Kidd will make the right moves, or if they’ll even let him.

Detroit Fanaddict
      Participant

Yes but since the players are getting payed more doesn’t it make more sense to address them first?

I’m curious to know how Jason Kidd will work out as the Nets new head coach. Know Jason is a smart NBA vet and a future hall of famer but personally I don’t see the current Nets team title contenders. I don’t like the concept of 2 ball dominant guards (D Will, J Johnson). Neither one plays well off the ball. Brook Lopez is more a power forward than a center IMO (solid post game, average rebounder, average defender), they need a TRUE center. The Brooklyn Nets are the perfect example of letting a coach retool the roster and shaping it into a more winning team. I know it would be hard to let go of a player like Joe Johnson but his contract is WAY too cancerous and he’s not a good “off” guard. If they can they need to move him ASAP. Wonder if Kidd will make the right moves, or if they’ll even let him.

jjbutler73
    Participant

This won’t change. You have 12-15 players averaging $5 million plus, guaranteed, and 1 coach averaging $2 million, not guaranteed. Take away guaranteed salaries, make players earn their money, and things will change.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login