This topic contains 20 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar rabidsnowman 10 years, 9 months ago.

• Author
    mikeyvthedon
    Participant

For those who do not know, Wilt Chamberlain was a complete and utter beast. Yes, he "only" won two NBA titles. Will also say that both were on two of the better teams in NBA history, the 1967 Philadelphia 76ers (68-13) and the 1972 Los Angeles Lakers (69-13). He also had his first season averaging less than 30 ppg and not leading the NBA in scoring in 1967 and his first season averaging less than 20 ppg in 1972. He had to change his game to win his championships, however he was still an absolutely dominant individual player on some good teams over his NBA career, obviously.

Here is a video of Wilt dominating the 1957 NCAA Tournament. He just seemed so ahead of his time, the way he runs the floor for a player his size is staggering. He averaged 32.2 ppg, 15.2 rpg and 6.6 bpg over the course of the tournament. Kansas lost the title that season to North Carolina, a loss Wilt said he never got over. If anything, Wilt is proof that one player cannot do it all. However, when you see these clips, there is no way you can deny that he would not be an utter force in any era.

It is hard to rank the best centers of All-Time, many have their different criteria. Wilt is usually not viewed as the best, though he may be the most individually dominant during the height of his career. His 50.4 ppg in 1961-62 (on almost 40 shots per game, mind you, lol) is something that will never be topped. His rebounding record is also something that will not be surpassed. People missed more shots back than, but keep in mind that Wilt was still averaging more rebounds per game than a young Lew Alcindor/Kareem Abdul-Jabbar in his final few seasons. 

Just wanted to give some tribute to one of my favorite players in NBA history. His FT form was jacked, that is for sure. Their have been many nuances and advancements in the game. One just has to look at this and see that if given the benefits of the modern day, Wilt would more than likely still dominate his competition. Maybe not to the extent of his time, plus who knows if that would lead to titles. Watching greatness is sometimes good enough.

nick5354
    Participant

He seriously looks like he was playing with and against a bunch of year 9s.

nick5354
    Participant

He seriously looks like he was playing with and against a bunch of year 9s.

NastyDHL
    Participant

His sprint at 0:55 was absurd

NastyDHL
    Participant

His sprint at 0:55 was absurd

JoeWolf1

Makes open court centers like McGhee and Noah look pedestrian. He was an Olympic caliber high jumper during his days in college. One of the best athletes, if not the best, to ever play the game.

JoeWolf1

Makes open court centers like McGhee and Noah look pedestrian. He was an Olympic caliber high jumper during his days in college. One of the best athletes, if not the best, to ever play the game.

BenchWarmer
    Participant

While on the topic thought you guys might enjoy this (Ive posted it before):

Another way to look at it, albeit not completely accurate is Wilt did it against Kareem, Kareem did it against Hakeem and Hakeem did it against Shaq.
    I will do head to head comparisons in playoffs.

Wilt vs Kareem:
    Met up in 70-71 western conference finals:
    Wilt (34): 22.0 ppg, 18.8 rpg, 2.0 apg on 48.9 %FG
    Kareem (23): 25.0 ppg, 17.4 rpg, 4.2 apg on 48.1 %FG
    Kareem wins series
    And again in 71-72 confernce finals:
    Wilt (35):10.8 ppg, 18.8 rpg, 3.3 apg, 6 bpg* on 45.2 %FG
    Kareem (24): 33.7 ppg, 17.5 rpg, 4.8 apg, 5 bpg* on 45.7 %FG
    Wilt wins series
    *-not officially recognized

Kareem vs Hakeem:
    Met up in 85-86 conference finals
    Kareem (39): 27 ppg, 6.8 rpg, 3.4 apg, 2.4 bpg on 49.7%
    Hakeem (23): 31.0 ppg, 11.2 rpg, 2.0 apg, 2.2 spg, 4.0 bpg on 52%
    Hakeem wins

Hakeem vs Shaq:
    Met in 94-95 finals
    Hakeem (32): 32.8 ppg, 11.5 rpg, 5.5 apg, 2.0 bpg on 48.3%
    Shaq (22): 28 ppg, 12.5 rpg, 6.3 apg, 2.5 bpg on 59.5%
    Hakeem wins

This is mostly food for thought

BenchWarmer
    Participant

While on the topic thought you guys might enjoy this (Ive posted it before):

Another way to look at it, albeit not completely accurate is Wilt did it against Kareem, Kareem did it against Hakeem and Hakeem did it against Shaq.
    I will do head to head comparisons in playoffs.

Wilt vs Kareem:
    Met up in 70-71 western conference finals:
    Wilt (34): 22.0 ppg, 18.8 rpg, 2.0 apg on 48.9 %FG
    Kareem (23): 25.0 ppg, 17.4 rpg, 4.2 apg on 48.1 %FG
    Kareem wins series
    And again in 71-72 confernce finals:
    Wilt (35):10.8 ppg, 18.8 rpg, 3.3 apg, 6 bpg* on 45.2 %FG
    Kareem (24): 33.7 ppg, 17.5 rpg, 4.8 apg, 5 bpg* on 45.7 %FG
    Wilt wins series
    *-not officially recognized

Kareem vs Hakeem:
    Met up in 85-86 conference finals
    Kareem (39): 27 ppg, 6.8 rpg, 3.4 apg, 2.4 bpg on 49.7%
    Hakeem (23): 31.0 ppg, 11.2 rpg, 2.0 apg, 2.2 spg, 4.0 bpg on 52%
    Hakeem wins

Hakeem vs Shaq:
    Met in 94-95 finals
    Hakeem (32): 32.8 ppg, 11.5 rpg, 5.5 apg, 2.0 bpg on 48.3%
    Shaq (22): 28 ppg, 12.5 rpg, 6.3 apg, 2.5 bpg on 59.5%
    Hakeem wins

This is mostly food for thought

Memphis Madness
    Participant

All I know is that Wilt and LeBron are the best two players with two titles.
    Wilt had that 33 game win streak and LeBron’s crew went for 26 straight.
    Both guys are top 6 all time.

Memphis Madness
    Participant

All I know is that Wilt and LeBron are the best two players with two titles.
    Wilt had that 33 game win streak and LeBron’s crew went for 26 straight.
    Both guys are top 6 all time.

Cavaliers420
    Participant

Just watching that video, he is so far ahead of his time, it makes me sick when people talk about the GOAT but don’t even know who Wilt is. When I bring up the fact he scored over 100 in a game most the time nobody ever believes me, it takes them pulling their phones out and googling it, man was he amazing though.

Cavaliers420
    Participant

Just watching that video, he is so far ahead of his time, it makes me sick when people talk about the GOAT but don’t even know who Wilt is. When I bring up the fact he scored over 100 in a game most the time nobody ever believes me, it takes them pulling their phones out and googling it, man was he amazing though.

eyefortalent
    Participant

Here’s a column I wrote while Lebron went thru that great stretch of games last season that paled in comparison to what Wilt and MJ did: http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=nba/writers/nbapulse/index.htm

eyefortalent
    Participant

Here’s a column I wrote while Lebron went thru that great stretch of games last season that paled in comparison to what Wilt and MJ did: http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=nba/writers/nbapulse/index.htm

Rafter
    Participant

Wilt Chamberlain, the person was just as extraordinary R.I.P Big Dipper.

Rafter
    Participant

Wilt Chamberlain, the person was just as extraordinary R.I.P Big Dipper.

Platypus
    Participant

Is it weird?

This reminds me of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.

A tall black guy in short shorts just dominating small white guys in short shorts. Physically just bigger, stronger and more skilled

Platypus
    Participant

Is it weird?

This reminds me of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.

A tall black guy in short shorts just dominating small white guys in short shorts. Physically just bigger, stronger and more skilled

rabidsnowman
    Participant

And not at least mention Bill Russell. DIdn’t score like Wilt, but played around a lot more talent. Certainly rebounded on the same level. Defensively, he was just inhuman. Of all the stars of his era, I’ve always held to this, his stats would be the most likely to hold up in the modern NBA.

Oscar Robertson might have been the most talented player ever. He has to be somewhere high up there as well.

I’d rank the top 5 all time:

WIlt
    MJ
    Bill Russell
    Oscar Robertson
    Lebron James

rabidsnowman
    Participant

And not at least mention Bill Russell. DIdn’t score like Wilt, but played around a lot more talent. Certainly rebounded on the same level. Defensively, he was just inhuman. Of all the stars of his era, I’ve always held to this, his stats would be the most likely to hold up in the modern NBA.

Oscar Robertson might have been the most talented player ever. He has to be somewhere high up there as well.

I’d rank the top 5 all time:

WIlt
    MJ
    Bill Russell
    Oscar Robertson
    Lebron James

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login