This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar TarHeelRaven 5 years, 4 months ago.

• Author
    BallerScript
    Participant

I haven’t scouted as many players as I’ve wanted to so far but here’s my current top 15

1. Zion Williamson
    2. Cam Reddish
    3. R.J. Barrett
    4. Ja Morant
    5. Darius Garland
    6. Rui Hachimura
    7. Iggy Brazdeikis
    8. Bol Bol
    9. Luguentz Dort
    10. Romeo Langford
    11. Nassir Little
    12. Keldon Johnson
    13. Kevin Porter Jr
    14. Daniel Gafford
    15. DeAndre Hunter

sweaterflex
    Participant

Some interesting picks, I would go by tiers:

Tier 1

1. Zion Williamson- clear #1

Tier 2

2. RJ Barrett- looks like a young DeMar Derozan with an average 3 point stroke, not sure if it translates to winning

3. Cam Reddish- looks passive, but could see Paul George-like trajectory

Tier 3

4. Nassir Little- I love UNC but Roy Williams doesn’t know what to do with him, I think the jumpshot will come around, strong FT%

5. Bol Bol- worried about the defense, but offensive performance has been exceptional.

6. Lu Dort- if his jumpshot is real could bump up a tier.

7. Kevin Porter Jr.- all of the tools, needs to shoot better

8. Jontay Porter- two-way center with passing and shooting upside

9. Ja Morant- high level production against weak competition, we’ll see if he’s more Lillard or Elfrid Payton.

10. Jarrett Culver- more intriguing if he’s actually 6’8.

Tier 4

11. DeAndre Hunter- old for his year but very proudctive, numbers hidden by slow pace  

12. Daniel Gafford- has been decent but doesn’t seem any better than Robert Williams was last year.

13. Chuma Okeke- reminds me of a young RoCo

14. Sekou Doumbouya- good tools

15. Grant Williams- young for his class, should be a reliable PJ Tucker type

Just Missed the Cut:

Romeo Langford- loved him coming in to the season, disappointing shooting and defense.

Keldon Johnson- has to shoot

Jaylen Hoard- reminds me of a rich man’s Al Farouq Aminu

Shamorie Ponds- very confident he will be an NBA player, size could be an issue

Matisse Thybulle- will be a high level defender, may never provide anything on offense

Rui Hachimura- most success playing as lone big on court, will need to play next to a stretch 5

Simi Shittu- may not have a position

Darius Garland- may have to prove it next year

Coby White- would like to see more creation for others

I could be persuaded about any of these except for Zion to be honest.

Insane13
      Participant

I can’t agree with Barrett as a young Derozan. He can probably shoot 3’s better than the current Derozan tbh and he’s nowhere near the athlete Derozan is but he makes up with it in many other ways. 

BallerScript
      Participant

Barrett hasn’t shown any signs of being the same mid-range assassin that DeRozan has made a career out of being.
      My comparison for him is a cross between Sarunas Marciulionis and Latrell Sprewell. He has the athleticism of Sprewell and the potential to become an equally as good defender as Sprewell but he lacks the same pull-up/versatile shot making the Latrell had. Barrett gets his way to the rim very similarly to Sarunas (an underrated player from his time) and I can see Barrett not being the perennial all-star that some believe he is and closer to a 2-time all star in his prime.

CoachWyers
    Participant

1. Zion Williamson
    2. RJ Barrett
    3. Bol Bol
    4. Cameron Reddish
    5. Rui Hachimura
    6. Kevin Porter
    7. Sekou Doumbouya
    8. Ja Morant
    9. Nassir Little
    10. Naz Reid
    11. Keldon Johnson
    12. Charles Bassey
    13. DeAndre Hunter
    14. Darius Garland
    15. Kris Wilkes

OhCanada-
    Participant

Care to explain Barrett over Reddish?

CoachWyers
      Participant

I feel Barrett has more upside than Reddish plus he is doing better at Duke.

OhCanada-
        Participant

Yeah sorry I meant to the TC, Reddish over Barrett. I just wrote that wrong. Im wondering why Ballerscript put Reddish #2.

BallerScript
          Participant

R.J. Barrett is much more of an alpha than Cam Reddish is but I don’t believe that Barrett will necessarily lead to winning games. Barrett is not a great shot creator. Although statistically he is doing very well shooting off the dribble, we haven’t actually seen him pulling up off of screens, fading away or shooting any other type of jump shot with volume other than a stand-still shot. Even though the mid-range shot is a dying breed in the NBA, all of the top scorers in the league still heavily utilise it. Barrett doesn’t have much of an inbetween game at all and that is one area where Reddish has an advantage over him. Secondly, Barrett bullies his way to the rim but aside from over-powering his opponent or drawing fouls, he doesn’t have much else in the way of finishing at the bucket. He lacks finnesse and creativity as a slasher and relies too much on simply being stronger than his defender. On the other hand, Reddish is a very silky smooth finisher and has shown that he can contort his way around his defender and change his shot mid-air to adjust. My biggest reason for having Reddish over R.J. is their playmaking. While Barrett is widely regarded as the better playmaker, I disagree with that. R.J. Barrett’s selfish style of play is both clear and polarizing. Reddish is an equally as good pick-and-roll playmaker and is definitely a more willing passer and selfless player. I don’t believe R.J.’s selfish bully-ball style of play is a winning style of play. I would also argue that Reddish is a better ball-handler than Barrett. While both have a tight handle and can both be play initiators, Reddish has a wider and more creative range of moves to help him as a shot creator and a ball-handler in a league moving torwards wing-playmakers. Although R.J. may put up better looking stats in the league, I believe Cam Reddish will play a larger role torwards winning basketball games.

sweaterflex
    Participant

For someone with point forward hype, Reddish has more turnovers than assists and has struggled to finish inside the arc. He’s been better than expected on defense and his three point volume is encouraging, but it seems likely he will top out as a secondary creator. Barrett has a chance to be the primary initiator on offense, but he may never be efficient enough to put a team over the top. I would say Reddish has a higher floor and a lower ceiling, and may be more likely to play for winning teams. Most teams picking at the top of draft need an RJ-type over a Reddish-type however. 

Pistol Pete. The Pelican
    Participant

How much of Reddish’s issues are from him being a third option? He’s willing to move the ball and play the team game while Barrett pounds it. I still believe Reddish can be better than Barrett. Barrett curently reminds me of a poor mans James Harden, not super athletic but shifty inside the lines, more quick than fast. James Harden shot 38% from three on 4 attempts per game at ASU, Barrett is currently at 37% on 6 attempts per game. 

TarHeelRaven
    Participant

Zion is obviously the a man amongst boys athletically.  Duke has been able to run and gun on inferior competition and Zion hasn’t had to take any outside shots, but shouldn’t that be a concern once ACC play comes and Duke actually plays a road game and they won’t just be able to physcially overwhelm ACC opponents?  Zion is 2 of 14 from 3 and will eventually have to make some outside shots.  Concerning Nassir, I think Roy should be very mindful of what he does with him against Gonzaga and Kentucky.  Recruits are looking at how he’s being used and have to be in shock.  To have Kenny Williams, Cam Johnson and Luke Maye starting over him is insane. Nassir has more talent in his pinky than all those guys combined.  It doesn’t matter if they are seniors, Nassir needs to start.  Imagine Cole Anthony saying, "Will Seventh friggin Woods start over me at point if I go to Carolina??"

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login