This topic contains 40 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar mikeyvthedon 10 years, 11 months ago.

• Author
    mikeyvthedon
    Participant

Hi folks, stuck here at work, and in Canada, which means no ESPN live streaming :(. Saw that no one had started a combine thread and I have tried to get all the info I can so far. Here is what I know, or have heard, so far:

[Player: Shabazz Muhammad] was the only projected "lottery" guy competing with the SF’s in drills. Heard from Jeff Goodman that he was "blending in", code for not really standing out of course. He apparently shot 8/25 in one spot shooting drill, struggled to creat in one-on-one though was doing well defensively. Signed with agent Bill Duffy, he was mobbed in interviews and asked why he wanted to do the drills that many projected lotto picks skip, said he wanted to "compete". Man has this guy been under a magnifying glass.

I know Shabazz is not exactly a "sure thing", even see why some teams might shy away from taking him. Just feel he is not nearly as bad of a kid as he is being made out to be. Also, in my searching to see how he was doing, apparently someone on ESPNU said he was "almost 22". I guess in a year and a half, he will be, lol. Seriously, we already found out he was born in 1992 instead of 1993, going to add another year? I wouldn’t even care, just saw tons of people posting about it and I was surprised they made that mistake on air. Plus seemingly did nothing to rectify their math error.

Other tidbits:

• [Player: Tony Snell] shot 12-15 in his 2nd round of 3 pointers in spot shooting. Hearing that Snell looked impressive, a writer ranked him at the top of SF workouts this morning.
    • [Player: James Southerland] was working out with the 3’s and shot 14-25 in a three point shooting drill according to Jon Wasserman.
    • [Player: Carrick Felix] really stood out with his energy and athleticism
    • [Player: DeShaun Thomas] was a stand out scorer in one-on-one’s
    • [Player: Adonis Thomas] was getting some mentions as doing pretty well.

Well, it is killing me not to be seeing this, but any info would be appreciated, especially detailed info, lol. Hopefully will be able to catch a replay, it is just that I live in Canada so that is no sure thing. Next year, with Wiggins, I predict things could be different for us Canucks as far as draft coverage. With Anthony Bennett’s shoulder injury, draft combine interest amongst Canadian media must have plummeted. Thank you to all who are willing to provide a run down of what is happening, who is looking good and who is struggling.

Raef LaFrentz
    Participant

I look forawrd to hearing more from you or others who are watching! I’m also currently stuck at work in the lab and can’t really keep up with it at all. Totally bumming…

Raef LaFrentz
    Participant

I look forawrd to hearing more from you or others who are watching! I’m also currently stuck at work in the lab and can’t really keep up with it at all. Totally bumming…

Siggy
    Participant

What specifically was said about Adonis Thomas? Anything about what kinda shape he’s in?

lawrencejd
      Participant

There was talk about whether or not his game would translate well into the NBA, they weren’t too high on him! Talks about how after his injury he has not come back as strong and athletic as he previously was before hand (understandable). But he worked out alright! And i believe he will be taken early second round!

lawrencejd
      Participant

There was talk about whether or not his game would translate well into the NBA, they weren’t too high on him! Talks about how after his injury he has not come back as strong and athletic as he previously was before hand (understandable). But he worked out alright! And i believe he will be taken early second round!

JoeWolf1

I saw some of his workout this morning. He passed the eye test as far as shape. DeShawn Thomas looked a little leaner than he did during the season too.

JoeWolf1

I saw some of his workout this morning. He passed the eye test as far as shape. DeShawn Thomas looked a little leaner than he did during the season too.

lakeshow22
      Participant

Adonis Thomas looked to be in pretty good shape and they were saying how he was though of as a top 10 pick coming out of HS. Fran said he could eventually be a tony Allen type player but he is a second round pick right now. Also everyone wonders how someone that big only averaged 4.5 rebounds

lakeshow22
      Participant

Adonis Thomas looked to be in pretty good shape and they were saying how he was though of as a top 10 pick coming out of HS. Fran said he could eventually be a tony Allen type player but he is a second round pick right now. Also everyone wonders how someone that big only averaged 4.5 rebounds

Siggy
    Participant

What specifically was said about Adonis Thomas? Anything about what kinda shape he’s in?

lawrencejd
    Participant

My two cents so far (only got a chance to watch the big men)

Centres:

Major Standout: Steven Adams – Dominated the drills, shot lights out, has improved his stroke drastically! His athleticism showed well, ran the sprints with pace and fitness. Chad Ford, Jay Williams and others were mightily impressed. I think he could be taken in the lottery now. It was great to watch.

Other Standouts: Rudy Gobert: Used his size, and MASSIVE wingspan to dominate in the drills. He has a very nice shooting stroke, and good athleticism for someone of his size and length. Very impressed, i see him taken 15-20, maybe pushing lottery if next few days go well + workouts

Kelly Olynyk: Showed his skills well, great shooting, great post moves, can put the ball on the floor and has alright athleticism and speed. I see him being taken late lottery because he can provide good offence straight away, and still has room to develop on both ends of the floor.

Will add more later!

wrector
      Participant

Wasn’t there just a post regarding Steven Adams stock plummeting to the bottom of the first round? lol – nice to hear he’s standing out though.

wrector
      Participant

Wasn’t there just a post regarding Steven Adams stock plummeting to the bottom of the first round? lol – nice to hear he’s standing out though.

lawrencejd
    Participant

My two cents so far (only got a chance to watch the big men)

Centres:

Major Standout: Steven Adams – Dominated the drills, shot lights out, has improved his stroke drastically! His athleticism showed well, ran the sprints with pace and fitness. Chad Ford, Jay Williams and others were mightily impressed. I think he could be taken in the lottery now. It was great to watch.

Other Standouts: Rudy Gobert: Used his size, and MASSIVE wingspan to dominate in the drills. He has a very nice shooting stroke, and good athleticism for someone of his size and length. Very impressed, i see him taken 15-20, maybe pushing lottery if next few days go well + workouts

Kelly Olynyk: Showed his skills well, great shooting, great post moves, can put the ball on the floor and has alright athleticism and speed. I see him being taken late lottery because he can provide good offence straight away, and still has room to develop on both ends of the floor.

Will add more later!

Lotto Stud
    Participant

Which 2nd Round prospect(s) will shock you the most if they are not drafted?

Lotto Stud
    Participant

Which 2nd Round prospect(s) will shock you the most if they are not drafted?

RMolloy24
    Participant

I live in Ireland so there’s no ESPNU on TV 😛 Is there anywhere to live stream it for free like FirstRow or something?

mikeyvthedon
      Participant

Think coverage is over for the day, but was able to watch a bit earlier. Hoping it works tomorrow. Showing the 2011 McDonald’s All-American game right now, lol.

http://livetvcafe.net/video/7OGUDX73A764/ESPN-U

mikeyvthedon
      Participant

Think coverage is over for the day, but was able to watch a bit earlier. Hoping it works tomorrow. Showing the 2011 McDonald’s All-American game right now, lol.

http://livetvcafe.net/video/7OGUDX73A764/ESPN-U

RMolloy24
    Participant

I live in Ireland so there’s no ESPNU on TV 😛 Is there anywhere to live stream it for free like FirstRow or something?

Lotto Stud
    Participant

Word is Schroeder may be promised.

Lotto Stud
      Participant

Promises just been confirmed by Ford

Schroeder Late Lottery-Mid First
      Adetokoubo Late First

JoeJo
        Participant

They haven’t been confirmed. They’re just educated guesses by Ford and his sources.

JoeJo
        Participant

They haven’t been confirmed. They’re just educated guesses by Ford and his sources.

Lotto Stud
      Participant

Promises just been confirmed by Ford

Schroeder Late Lottery-Mid First
      Adetokoubo Late First

Lotto Stud
    Participant

Word is Schroeder may be promised.

Lafferty Daniel
    Participant

Noel says he expects to be ready to go by Christmas. I’m thinking end of January seems more realistic. Thoughts?

https://twitter.com/Keith_Langlois/statuses/335074349637844992

mikeyvthedon
      Participant

That is the right thing to do. Guessing January is probably more realistic, plus who knows if his team will play on Christmas, lol. Want to be really cautious in his case so as not to cause further complications. Plus, in all likelihood, he is probably going to a team that might be wanting a few more pingpong balls in their favor for the 2014 lottery.

mikeyvthedon
      Participant

That is the right thing to do. Guessing January is probably more realistic, plus who knows if his team will play on Christmas, lol. Want to be really cautious in his case so as not to cause further complications. Plus, in all likelihood, he is probably going to a team that might be wanting a few more pingpong balls in their favor for the 2014 lottery.

Lafferty Daniel
    Participant

Noel says he expects to be ready to go by Christmas. I’m thinking end of January seems more realistic. Thoughts?

https://twitter.com/Keith_Langlois/statuses/335074349637844992

mikeyvthedon
    Participant
    • Tim Hardaway Jr. 6-6.25 (think with shoes) and a 6-7 wingspan (Source: https://twitter.com/Mark__Snyder/status/335111586412916736)
    • Victor Oladipo: Told Jeff Goodman he was 6-4.25 IN SHOES (Source: https://twitter.com/GoodmanCBS/status/335078791732932608)
    • Ben McLemore told Jeff Goodman he was 6-3 WITHOUT SHOES. Doubt this hurts his stock much, just could end up being more 6-4 than 6-5, though maybe he was not specific and measured at 6-3.75. With my 1.25 inch rule (I add 1.25 inches to every players height without shoes, as I feel that is the average amount shoes add and doubt players get much more than that, though in the combine they sometimes seem to, lol), would make him 6-5. Could be 6-4, still, once again, do not see his stock falling much, outside of some people on this board 🙂 (Source: https://twitter.com/GoodmanCBS/status/335078791732932608)
    • Nerlens Noel: Told Jeff Goodman he measured at 6-11.75 WITH SHOES. Not really surprised, wonder how much his shoes added from his actual height. Nonetheless, measured at 6-10 without shoes at the 2012 Nike Hoop Summit, so would classify him as 6-11. Wondering what his wingspan turns out to be, should be in the 7-4 to 7-5 range (Source: https://twitter.com/GoodmanCBS/status/335059945097687040)
    • Everyone was apparently going on about Rudy Gobert’s wingspan. Heard Gobert looked really good today from quite a few different people.

Any others, would love to hear about them.

mikeyvthedon
    Participant
    • Tim Hardaway Jr. 6-6.25 (think with shoes) and a 6-7 wingspan (Source: https://twitter.com/Mark__Snyder/status/335111586412916736)
    • Victor Oladipo: Told Jeff Goodman he was 6-4.25 IN SHOES (Source: https://twitter.com/GoodmanCBS/status/335078791732932608)
    • Ben McLemore told Jeff Goodman he was 6-3 WITHOUT SHOES. Doubt this hurts his stock much, just could end up being more 6-4 than 6-5, though maybe he was not specific and measured at 6-3.75. With my 1.25 inch rule (I add 1.25 inches to every players height without shoes, as I feel that is the average amount shoes add and doubt players get much more than that, though in the combine they sometimes seem to, lol), would make him 6-5. Could be 6-4, still, once again, do not see his stock falling much, outside of some people on this board 🙂 (Source: https://twitter.com/GoodmanCBS/status/335078791732932608)
    • Nerlens Noel: Told Jeff Goodman he measured at 6-11.75 WITH SHOES. Not really surprised, wonder how much his shoes added from his actual height. Nonetheless, measured at 6-10 without shoes at the 2012 Nike Hoop Summit, so would classify him as 6-11. Wondering what his wingspan turns out to be, should be in the 7-4 to 7-5 range (Source: https://twitter.com/GoodmanCBS/status/335059945097687040)
    • Everyone was apparently going on about Rudy Gobert’s wingspan. Heard Gobert looked really good today from quite a few different people.

Any others, would love to hear about them.

mikeyvthedon
      Participant

6-9.5. That is definitely solid for a 2 guard. Do not think his measurements hurt him any, 6-5 was always generous, they knew he was long though. Think his height and length were right around where most expected. 

mikeyvthedon
      Participant

6-9.5. That is definitely solid for a 2 guard. Do not think his measurements hurt him any, 6-5 was always generous, they knew he was long though. Think his height and length were right around where most expected. 

JoeWolf1

I taped the workouts and I’m currently watching the centers. There are a lot of draftable centers in this years’ class. There could be 10 centers drafted this season.

JoeWolf1

I taped the workouts and I’m currently watching the centers. There are a lot of draftable centers in this years’ class. There could be 10 centers drafted this season.

JoeWolf1

I finished up the tape on the centers and here are the things that I took away from it.

1. As I’ve said before, Steven Adams was the standout of the day. He won every windsprint, hit jumpers, was very fluid and compared to a lot of other legit 7 footers, he looked big. No one is expecting him to drop 10/10 as a rookie, but the guy has serious upside and how far he’s come since leaving New Zeland bodes well for his continued growth. I think 8-16 is his range, I think there is no possible way he drops below both of Atlanta’s picks.

2. I saw the first of Rudy Gobert and man, the guy has some long arms. He really has the body type of Manute Bol, and covered up by a baggy T-shirt he looked that much more gangly, but the physical attributes are certainly there, sans about 25-30 pounds. His jumper is slow and he brings the ball way behind his head when he shoots, but he has a nice hook with both hands and is fairly fluid. He’s very very long, but doesn’t look uncoordinated, still a very raw guy when seen in a drill type scenario.

3. Mike Muscala disappointed me. His offensive skills are obvious, but he didn’t look in very good shape and was one of the slower guys while running windsprints. I really like his skillset as a high/low post who could potentially bring some scoring to a 2nd unit. I’ve always thought he reminded me of Bill Wennington, but I just wish he would have played with more fire.

4. Dedmon pretended he was Ray Allen for about 20 minutes. The guy really can shoot, it surprised the hell out of me because I’ve seen a handfull of USC games this past season and he never looked like much as an offensive player. Granted, there was no one on the court to foul and I seriously think that will render him ineffective if he ever makes a roster, but he’s got a surprising amount of touch.

5. Colton Iverson looks like a pro center. He’s rugged and has a nice offensive skillset in both the post and facing up, he knows what kind of player he is and I think he’s going to do himself a lot of good in these individual drills and team workouts. A playoff team that could need a guy to give them a few mpg next season and be a great practice player is going to give Iverson a long look. I think he’ll be picked when all is said and done.

JoeWolf1

I finished up the tape on the centers and here are the things that I took away from it.

1. As I’ve said before, Steven Adams was the standout of the day. He won every windsprint, hit jumpers, was very fluid and compared to a lot of other legit 7 footers, he looked big. No one is expecting him to drop 10/10 as a rookie, but the guy has serious upside and how far he’s come since leaving New Zeland bodes well for his continued growth. I think 8-16 is his range, I think there is no possible way he drops below both of Atlanta’s picks.

2. I saw the first of Rudy Gobert and man, the guy has some long arms. He really has the body type of Manute Bol, and covered up by a baggy T-shirt he looked that much more gangly, but the physical attributes are certainly there, sans about 25-30 pounds. His jumper is slow and he brings the ball way behind his head when he shoots, but he has a nice hook with both hands and is fairly fluid. He’s very very long, but doesn’t look uncoordinated, still a very raw guy when seen in a drill type scenario.

3. Mike Muscala disappointed me. His offensive skills are obvious, but he didn’t look in very good shape and was one of the slower guys while running windsprints. I really like his skillset as a high/low post who could potentially bring some scoring to a 2nd unit. I’ve always thought he reminded me of Bill Wennington, but I just wish he would have played with more fire.

4. Dedmon pretended he was Ray Allen for about 20 minutes. The guy really can shoot, it surprised the hell out of me because I’ve seen a handfull of USC games this past season and he never looked like much as an offensive player. Granted, there was no one on the court to foul and I seriously think that will render him ineffective if he ever makes a roster, but he’s got a surprising amount of touch.

5. Colton Iverson looks like a pro center. He’s rugged and has a nice offensive skillset in both the post and facing up, he knows what kind of player he is and I think he’s going to do himself a lot of good in these individual drills and team workouts. A playoff team that could need a guy to give them a few mpg next season and be a great practice player is going to give Iverson a long look. I think he’ll be picked when all is said and done.

JoeWolf1

I’m watching the PF’s now, and Mitchell is showing what he can do. Just threw down a windmill during the full court drills.

JoeWolf1

I’m watching the PF’s now, and Mitchell is showing what he can do. Just threw down a windmill during the full court drills.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login