This topic contains 16 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar llperez 13 years, 5 months ago.

• Author
    llperez

Reeves Nelson of UCLA has looked great in the teams first 2 games averaging 18.5ppg and 7.5reb in 28 minutes while shooting a total of 14-16 from the field. He has looked very impressive. He is a bruiser who loves contact and was compared by numerous people to Jon Brockman last season as a freshman where he was all conference 1st team freshman in the pac 10. But this year he is really showing an improved all around offensive game and he finishes well around the rim. Before the season started his brother who is a football recruit for UCLA said that he believes this will be reeves last season and he will be entering the 2011 NBA draft. Not sure how reliable that is as a source. But defenitely somebody to keep your eyes on.

abriggs06
    Participant

This is one of my favorite players coming into the college season. I believe this year he is going to make some noise. Hes always had that bruiser mentality. He used to beat up on the high school kids and will do the same in college. Having said that, hes going to have to REALLY prove himself this year if he wants to bang down low with real post talent. I think he can do it though. Hes already impressive. sn: that ink was almost decent if it werent for the flowers….. To each his own

abriggs06
    Participant

This is one of my favorite players coming into the college season. I believe this year he is going to make some noise. Hes always had that bruiser mentality. He used to beat up on the high school kids and will do the same in college. Having said that, hes going to have to REALLY prove himself this year if he wants to bang down low with real post talent. I think he can do it though. Hes already impressive. sn: that ink was almost decent if it werent for the flowers….. To each his own

Pureshooter
    Participant

He looked a little soft last year, but just watching the game last night you can tell he is much leaner and is really getting off the ground better.

Pureshooter
    Participant

He looked a little soft last year, but just watching the game last night you can tell he is much leaner and is really getting off the ground better.

JNixon
    Participant

UCLA better be a good team this year. They have a bunch of proclaimed "1st round" prospects (Malcolm Lee, Tyler Honeycutt, and now Reeves Nelson) and the only way they’ll be able to warrant that is if they are one of the better teams in the nation. Those 3 players were inexperienced, but last year they were the core of one of the worst teams in one of the worst conferences, so I’m skeptical they have all this high level with little results. But hey, the only way to go is up after how they played last year, so that’s a plus.

JNixon
    Participant

UCLA better be a good team this year. They have a bunch of proclaimed "1st round" prospects (Malcolm Lee, Tyler Honeycutt, and now Reeves Nelson) and the only way they’ll be able to warrant that is if they are one of the better teams in the nation. Those 3 players were inexperienced, but last year they were the core of one of the worst teams in one of the worst conferences, so I’m skeptical they have all this high level with little results. But hey, the only way to go is up after how they played last year, so that’s a plus.

BothTeamsPlayedHard
    Participant

Any player can eye the NBA Draft, but it really only matters if teams have their eyes on him. A lot of guys can look like first round picks against CS-Northridge, a team that was taken to overtime by a D3 team coming off a sub-.500 season.

BothTeamsPlayedHard
    Participant

Any player can eye the NBA Draft, but it really only matters if teams have their eyes on him. A lot of guys can look like first round picks against CS-Northridge, a team that was taken to overtime by a D3 team coming off a sub-.500 season.

llperez

lee is not much a first round talent, i never really felt that way about him. ANd both honeycut and nelson were dealing with injuries last year and neither were starters at the begining of the season. The bruins had all kinds of things going wrong for them last year and honeycutt and nelson were the 2 reasons why i was saying all summer they will be top 25 this year.

llperez

lee is not much a first round talent, i never really felt that way about him. ANd both honeycut and nelson were dealing with injuries last year and neither were starters at the begining of the season. The bruins had all kinds of things going wrong for them last year and honeycutt and nelson were the 2 reasons why i was saying all summer they will be top 25 this year.

llperez

@bothteams, i have no idea if teams are looking at nelson right now. And Im not sure if he is first round talent or not. But hes playing very well right now and he had a very strong finish last season and its not just becasue CS Northridge was one of his opponents that im throwing his name out there. Im smarter then that and i know what skills translate vs different opponents. I read an article over the summer where someone was saying nelson was ucla’s best player and an nba prospect.

llperez

@bothteams, i have no idea if teams are looking at nelson right now. And Im not sure if he is first round talent or not. But hes playing very well right now and he had a very strong finish last season and its not just becasue CS Northridge was one of his opponents that im throwing his name out there. Im smarter then that and i know what skills translate vs different opponents. I read an article over the summer where someone was saying nelson was ucla’s best player and an nba prospect.

BothTeamsPlayedHard
    Participant

How many unskilled 6’7 power forwards leave early and find themselves in the first round?

Samardo Samuels worked his way onto an NBA roster, and it is fair to say he was an NBA prospect, but he wasn’t a first round pick.

BothTeamsPlayedHard
    Participant

How many unskilled 6’7 power forwards leave early and find themselves in the first round?

Samardo Samuels worked his way onto an NBA roster, and it is fair to say he was an NBA prospect, but he wasn’t a first round pick.

llperez

Unskilled? I would have said the same last year, but not htis year. He hit a 3 and has 4 or 5 times got the defensive rebound and led the fast break himself going coast to coast. He commented how he played point forward in hs and now he has proven to howland that he can do that at this level so he has the freedom to. His post game has never been just a guy who seeks contact, he actually has nice footwork and finishes with a very soft touch. ALso, he is listed as 6-8 and unlike a lot of small pfs who play below the rim, nelson gets up and finishes easily with dunks in traffic and blocks shots.

Again, im not proclaiming him as a certain 1st rounder or anything. But if he leaves, he defenitely has a chance. I would take him over derrick caracter for my lakers and derrick is getting pt in the nba.

llperez

Unskilled? I would have said the same last year, but not htis year. He hit a 3 and has 4 or 5 times got the defensive rebound and led the fast break himself going coast to coast. He commented how he played point forward in hs and now he has proven to howland that he can do that at this level so he has the freedom to. His post game has never been just a guy who seeks contact, he actually has nice footwork and finishes with a very soft touch. ALso, he is listed as 6-8 and unlike a lot of small pfs who play below the rim, nelson gets up and finishes easily with dunks in traffic and blocks shots.

Again, im not proclaiming him as a certain 1st rounder or anything. But if he leaves, he defenitely has a chance. I would take him over derrick caracter for my lakers and derrick is getting pt in the nba.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login