Raptors plan for 2k12/13 season!

boshjonesford
Raptors plan for 2k12/13 season!

So this year, every player that the raptors signed/ traded for will have expiring contracts next year... and the raptors are considered a top teams with flexablity for next season

young players

Demar Derozan - 1989 around 17 ppg last season

Bayless - 1988 - around 19ppg after the allstar break (when playing time)

Ed Davis 1989 - 7ppg, 7rpg last season

-------------------------------------

Jonas Valancunis - 20ppg and 11rbg (FIBA/MVP) - + getting experence right now in euro compition

Next year draft pick (which i assume to be high) - Harrison Barnes, Mcadoo ect

the question i have is

Who are they targeting for 2012? its not like D12 or D-williams will come to TO (although williams played in turkey so maybe he can be persauded with a lot of money and if the young talents prove something this year to intice his interest...but unlikely as i see him going to his home town Dallace Mavricks) ... what kind of 2k12 free agents would be a realistic target for the raptors?

They seem to be poised for great things...

qDizzle32
qDizzle32's picture
They wont take James McAdoo

They wont take James McAdoo he won't even come out this year playing 10 minutes a game at NC

fastdan
Hopefuly they don't make

Hopefuly they don't make another dumb Hedo-like signing. I'm hoping they are just determined to finally let a young team grow together instead of quick fixes that never work then end with their stars leaving.

Cap space can used more then just for signing a big player. Just look at some of the lopsided deals that hae happened in the last few years just from having cap room.

Washington traded next to nothing for Hinrich and the 17th(ish) pick of 2010 draft so Chicago could make cap space.

Minny got Beasley for a 2nd rounder so Miami could make cap space.

OKC got Maynor for taking on Harping's expiring deal so Utah could get out of the tax. They also got Dequan Cook and the 18th pick of the 2010 draft for a the 32nd pick so Miami could make space.

NJ got a first rounder from LA last year so they could dump Sasha.

Cleveland was under the cap, so they could take on Baron, which led to Kyrie Irving

And now with the amnesty waivers favouring under the cap teams, it's another reason to get under. For teams who are rebuilding, it's difficult to sign good players, so finding ways to bring in good young players to round out the roster is a must. With a core of Derozan/Davis/Valanciunas/Bayless/Johnson and likely a top 5 pick this year (Barnes I hope) they should just be patient and let these guys grow. The problem has never been the city of Toronto; it's the fifth biggest city in North America, their arena sells out every night, and is absolutley wonderful to live in. Though it's labeled as a cold city, in reality the weather is no different then NY, Detroit, Chicago, NJ, Minny, Milwalkee, Utah. It's always been the fact that they can't create a stable, succesful team that has always kept players away.

Chilbert arenas
Chilbert arenas's picture
First of all I love your

First of all I love your optimism with Bayless, I'm a big fan of his and hope this is finally his year he can play significant minutes the entire year and have a positive impact while coming into his own. Ed Davis should also have a big jump from last year.

But... Mcadoo..? Seriously have you watched a UNC game this year? And it's Dallas, not Dallace haha, but the Raptors are going to have to build through the draft more than free agency, they only seem to sign big foreign free agents.

boshjonesford
^^ i wasnt being

^^ i wasnt being optimistic...thats his actuall stats from last season after the allstar break...he has potential and is still young/hungry

Forget Mcadoo, i just put that name out there,,,it could be anyone (Jones, Barnes) who ever they get is gonna most likelly be good

I saw the dallas thing and was just way to lazy to change it lol

thparadox
thparadox's picture
Raptors are in supertank mode

Raptors are in supertank mode this year!

We need a superstar from this draft, it's that simple....

I think you're right. It's unlikely that a big star like Deron signs here with the current team. But I agree with fastdan... having cap space is itself an asset. There's a feedback effect.

More examples: Clippers got Camby for nothing, then passed him onto the Blazers for nothing... that's huge. Think of how rare a good defensive center is.

And the biggest. The get enough cap space for 2 superstars... make your own contender, a la Miami Heat.

Cutting cap space is just a smart move. If we can't sign anyone next year, then we don't sign any long term contracts and wait for the right free agent.

sammybuckeye13
sammybuckeye13's picture
They badly need a

They badly need a wing...right now it's Kleiza (10.16 PER - 49th among SF's) and Julian Wright (12.09 PER, 36th among SF's). Gallinari, Beasley and Nic Batum could all be good FA pickups next year.

dmo21
dmo21's picture
wing

Well I think there starting wings right now are DeRozan and James Johnson. They are both young and still have potential (Derozan more than Johnson), but I'd stilll take a small forward in the draft because Johnson is not that exceptional. Julian Wright is a free agent, so don't talk about him being in the lineup. I sure as hope Kleiza does not get any playing time, I hate his game. We also have Butler now so that will decrease Kleizas minutes and we still may get Pietrus in the end (I hope!).

fastdan
I think Barnes would fit

I think Barnes would fit perfectly on the wing with Derozan. I believe he will able to play spot minutes at the 2 as well playing Johnson at the 3. That would give them good size and defense on the wings, something that they've lacked for pretty much ever.

And I think all those young SFs you said would be too difficult to sign, except for Beasley but he's just such a volume shooter and a bad defender I really hope they don't make a move for him.

Toronto16
Toronto16's picture
What if the Raptors got Andre

What if the Raptors got Andre Drummond, then traded Bargnani? A starting front court of Drummond/Davis would be scary for years to come. In fact, just trade Bargnani anyway.

torontoraptors10
torontoraptors10's picture
@churchboy

Don't you mean a frontline of Valanciunas and Drummond?

dmo21
dmo21's picture
Bargnani

A team like that would almost need Bargnani cause they wouldn't be able to score. DeRozan isn't much of a creator and usually just spots up mid range jumpers, which works perfect for him. Bayless can score, but it is usually all about him, not his team. Davis and the Johnsons don't have much for offensive skills but I like how Davis' low post game was coming along last year. With how the team is set up you have a bunch of defensive forwards to surround Andrea, and with the new coach they are going to set up a defensive scheme like Dallas did, which is absolutely perfect. I see an improvement in defense next year.

Troupa Dups
if im taking a small forward

if im taking a small forward that can score then hands down i'm taking Quincy Miller. He can get his own shot anytime he wants.

Toronto16
Toronto16's picture
@torontoraptors10 Well,

@torontoraptors10 Well, whoever deserves to start out of the 2 then

RSS: Syndicate content