Magic: Maximizing Value for their 2014 Draft

rickyfutureagent
Magic: Maximizing Value for their 2014 Draft

If you are the GM of the Magic, who would you rather get in this draft:

Option A: 4th: PG (Exum or Smart) --- 12th: Big Man (Payne, Nurkic)

Option B: 4th: PG (Exum or Smart) --- 12th: Wing (Hood, McDermott)

Option C: 4th: Big Man (Vonleh or Randle) --- 12th: Guard (Ennis, Payton, Lavine, Harris)

Option D: 4th: ??? (Your Choice) --- 12th: ??? (Your Choice)

Which option would you choose?

burgessfour
If I'm them

I take Randle and McDermott, great inside-outside combo.

zcnumerouno
A

The Magic need a true point guard, and at 4 Exum makes sense. They hardly have any depth at the 4&5, so Payne also makes sense.

jtthebrick
Exum

Exum isn't a true point guard though, he's a combo guard and may even play the 2.

King Calucha
King Calucha's picture
If I'm Exum doesn't do well

If I'm Exum doesn't do well in workouts, then I'd go for option C, because I'm not sold on Smart being taken 4th. I like Randle, but in this case Vonleh's games is suits the eastern conference better. Payton is good enough to be a solid starter at 12 (nobody expects him to be a star).

ArmanK
C

I feel like Vonleh would be a great piece to add to the Magic, and I can see Peyton or if they wanted to take a risk and pick LaVine, starting at that 1 spot.

Chilbert arenas
Chilbert arenas's picture
First I like B, I think they

First I like B, I think they have to take Exum if he's there (who knows what Bucks are going to do). They need to potential star power Exum provides.

Second I'd go with the combo of Vonleh and Payton.

barbabodom
I would go with B), Exum and

I would go with B), Exum and McDermott, although I don´t think that Dougie will be available at #12

jtthebrick
D

I go with D.

If they're not sold on Exum at #4, they should trade down and can get more value, such as getting #5 and #23 from Utah. Take Vonleh or Randle with #5, a PG at #12, and then they can still get late lottery type of value in this deep draft with #23 and take a wing.

he_gets_buckets
he_gets_buckets's picture
I don't see the need for them

I don't see the need for them taking a big at 4 when they already have 5 guys that need minutes in the front court in Vucevic, O'Quinn, Nicholson, and while Harris and Harkless can play on the perimeter, both spent time at the 4. The spot they are lacking at is the 1 and 2, assuming Afflalo is gone, they have Oladipo and a past his prime Jameer. They need guards more then bigs, Exum or Smart should be their pick at 4 depending on workouts. At 12, a back up big would be nice, if someone from the top falls. A guy like Payne would fit great.

kmp07s
Option C/D all day. Vonleh is

Option C/D all day.

Vonleh is exactly what the magic need. He's an athletic rim protector with a developing offensive game. Fits perfectly next to Vuc who has good range and is a good rebounder. Not necessarily the most athletic and not a stand out defensive player at this point. Randle and Vuc together would really struggle defensively. I don't see how Exum has anymore star potential than any high player in this draft. I'm fine with simply BPA at the 12th pick, though obviously it makes sense to take a guard if you took a big man early...Which is another reason they should take a big at 4...because the options for a G there are much better than they are later.

Also, lets just stop with the whole "They need a TRUE PG" stuff. That kind of crap is so overrated. They just need really good players.

Scrooge McDuck
Scrooge McDuck's picture
Option D: With the fourth

Option D: With the fourth pick they should take Marcus Smart. He's the BPA. Their aren't many defensive bigs available at the range of their next pick. I'd probably take Saric with the 12th if he's available. I'd also look strongly at Adreian Payne.

Foxdashman
Foxdashman's picture
Exum and McDermott

Good question. I think you take Exum at 4 because of his potential to be a star and take either Doug McDermott, Nik Stauskas, or Dario Saric at 12.

For the record, if any of the top-3 projected players (Wiggins, Embiid, or Parker) fall to the Magic, I think we take them. If we can trade up from 12 to 8 (Sacramento), I think we should do that and grab a tier-2 player.

jazznationpresident
i'd do C

I think it is the safer bet.

RSS: Syndicate content