This topic contains 26 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar NBAjunkie81 8 years, 1 month ago.

• Author
    saladdays
    Participant

How would this current warriors team fare against the shaq/kobe led lakers? What would be each team’s game plan going into such a matchup

oogells
    Participant

I’ll go more in depth with this latter, as its a great question, but I think the 2000-2001 Lakers win that matchup. If you want to make it even more interesting, I think the current Warriors beat that 1996 Chicago Bulls team, and the 96 Bulls would beat that 2001 Lakers team. Will be back latter and let you know more in depth how I think these series would go.

oogells
    Participant

I’ll go more in depth with this latter, as its a great question, but I think the 2000-2001 Lakers win that matchup. If you want to make it even more interesting, I think the current Warriors beat that 1996 Chicago Bulls team, and the 96 Bulls would beat that 2001 Lakers team. Will be back latter and let you know more in depth how I think these series would go.

holefillers1
      Participant

Don’t bother!

holefillers1
      Participant

Don’t bother!

oogells
        Participant

Way to add to the discussion. People like yourself is why I mainly lurk on these boards, gets +5 for doing nothing, I try to add to a discussion and get negs. O well

oogells
        Participant

Way to add to the discussion. People like yourself is why I mainly lurk on these boards, gets +5 for doing nothing, I try to add to a discussion and get negs. O well

Hype Machine

You cant talk about those Lakers teams without talking about systematic corruption and match fixing in the league.

The strategy is to ask the league not to send one of their ‘company guys’…as Tim Donaghy puts it.

Hype Machine

You cant talk about those Lakers teams without talking about systematic corruption and match fixing in the league.

The strategy is to ask the league not to send one of their ‘company guys’…as Tim Donaghy puts it.

oogells
      Participant

That Lakers team lost 1 game in the playoffs, the Allen Iverson game. I think you are getting confused, they 4-0’d the Kings in 2000-2001, the next year is when the Kings got shafted 4-3.

oogells
      Participant

That Lakers team lost 1 game in the playoffs, the Allen Iverson game. I think you are getting confused, they 4-0’d the Kings in 2000-2001, the next year is when the Kings got shafted 4-3.

Hype Machine

It wasnt just 1 game/series

Hype Machine

It wasnt just 1 game/series

lalaila
    Participant

I guess Shaq would average like 40ppg 18rpg in that series, cause even against guys like Mutombo when motivated in the finals he avg like 35/15 easily

frogman
      Participant

If Shaq was dominating a small ball lineup they could always throw Andrew Bogut out there who is an excellent defender.

You have to remember though Shaq would have no hope of defending the Warriors small ball lineup himself whcih would open up a lot of open three’s

mavsatx
        Participant

Bogut is just not gonna stop shaq. He is not near the defender mutumbo was and shaq moped the floor with him. Still would be such an interesting matchup and a chess match between Kerr and Phil.  

oogells
          Participant

People forget motivated Shaq, and before the toe injury, was quite nimble and agile. Yes he wouldn’t enjoy running around defending the likes of draymond 12-15 mins a game, but I think Shaqs rim running and glass domination would negate some of that. Also, they have one of the OG stretch 4s in Big Shot Rob if Shaq got tired.

lalaila
            Participant

plus motivated SHaq could average like 4 blocks per game, in half court sets Draymond would be denied so many times..

Overall I still think Shaq is underrated in usual alltime ranks, because when motivated (see 2000 2001 2002) you can make argument there is only one player who still without any discomfort can say he was better

doubledribbler
              Participant

Shaq was ridiculously dominate for someone that I don’t think put the work in to be the best that he could and I’m not talking about free throws which I think was more of a mental issue than an issue with not trying or practicing them enough. Regardless, I think if Shaq had taken care of his body, put more effort into his defense, and developed more of a game outside of mostly overpowering everyone he would have been the greatest player ever. That might sound like a lot of things, but the guy was physically bigger, faster, and stronger than everyone else at his position. He had great hands and his was light on his feet. Teams were carrying a lot of bigs back then just because of the amount of fouls that he was drawing. He’s an all time great, but injuries and his work ethic held him back from being much better.

doubledribbler
              Participant

Shaq was ridiculously dominate for someone that I don’t think put the work in to be the best that he could and I’m not talking about free throws which I think was more of a mental issue than an issue with not trying or practicing them enough. Regardless, I think if Shaq had taken care of his body, put more effort into his defense, and developed more of a game outside of mostly overpowering everyone he would have been the greatest player ever. That might sound like a lot of things, but the guy was physically bigger, faster, and stronger than everyone else at his position. He had great hands and his was light on his feet. Teams were carrying a lot of bigs back then just because of the amount of fouls that he was drawing. He’s an all time great, but injuries and his work ethic held him back from being much better.

lalaila
            Participant

plus motivated SHaq could average like 4 blocks per game, in half court sets Draymond would be denied so many times..

Overall I still think Shaq is underrated in usual alltime ranks, because when motivated (see 2000 2001 2002) you can make argument there is only one player who still without any discomfort can say he was better

oogells
          Participant

People forget motivated Shaq, and before the toe injury, was quite nimble and agile. Yes he wouldn’t enjoy running around defending the likes of draymond 12-15 mins a game, but I think Shaqs rim running and glass domination would negate some of that. Also, they have one of the OG stretch 4s in Big Shot Rob if Shaq got tired.

mavsatx
        Participant

Bogut is just not gonna stop shaq. He is not near the defender mutumbo was and shaq moped the floor with him. Still would be such an interesting matchup and a chess match between Kerr and Phil.  

frogman
      Participant

If Shaq was dominating a small ball lineup they could always throw Andrew Bogut out there who is an excellent defender.

You have to remember though Shaq would have no hope of defending the Warriors small ball lineup himself whcih would open up a lot of open three’s

lalaila
    Participant

I guess Shaq would average like 40ppg 18rpg in that series, cause even against guys like Mutombo when motivated in the finals he avg like 35/15 easily

NBAjunkie81
    Participant

We all forget that one of the benefits to having one of the most dominant Centers who ever lived….. Is that b/c Shaq is Guarding the rim….. your other 4 players can press out, take chances in passing lanes to go for steals….. & absolutely get in a guy’s shirt on defense b/c if they dribble drive by them…. the big man is waiting at the Rim…..

Against that Warriors line up Shaq Averages 50 pts & 25 boards (that’s Not an exaggeration)…. & we are forgetting that Kobe was an All Time great defensive player too….. Kobe is on Curry that entire series….. & w/ Kobe’s freak athleticism, length & insane competitveness….. I think he keeps Curry under control….. & at the other end, who is going to guard Kobe??? 

If Kobe & Shaq could get along they probaly win 5 or 6 straight Titles…. It’s really not a knock on the Warriors…. Kobe & Shaq are probably the best 1, 2 punch in NBA history……

Not saying Kobe & Shaq’s Lakers were the All Time best team….. but even people who do Not like Kobe put him no lower than top 15 All Time….. But you Areguable have Two top 10 or top 12 ALL Time players as Teammates & In their Prime….. I just don’t see how Golden State beats that Lakers team 4 times in 7 games……

NBAjunkie81
    Participant

We all forget that one of the benefits to having one of the most dominant Centers who ever lived….. Is that b/c Shaq is Guarding the rim….. your other 4 players can press out, take chances in passing lanes to go for steals….. & absolutely get in a guy’s shirt on defense b/c if they dribble drive by them…. the big man is waiting at the Rim…..

Against that Warriors line up Shaq Averages 50 pts & 25 boards (that’s Not an exaggeration)…. & we are forgetting that Kobe was an All Time great defensive player too….. Kobe is on Curry that entire series….. & w/ Kobe’s freak athleticism, length & insane competitveness….. I think he keeps Curry under control….. & at the other end, who is going to guard Kobe??? 

If Kobe & Shaq could get along they probaly win 5 or 6 straight Titles…. It’s really not a knock on the Warriors…. Kobe & Shaq are probably the best 1, 2 punch in NBA history……

Not saying Kobe & Shaq’s Lakers were the All Time best team….. but even people who do Not like Kobe put him no lower than top 15 All Time….. But you Areguable have Two top 10 or top 12 ALL Time players as Teammates & In their Prime….. I just don’t see how Golden State beats that Lakers team 4 times in 7 games……

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login