This topic contains 13 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar BlueRivers25 4 years, 10 months ago.

• Author
    OhCanada-
    Participant

Seen reports that the Knicks are interested in trading down to get him. also heard he’s seriously in play as high as 5th to the Cavs and even 7th to the Bulls. Now with this new "core precedure" he is going through he will miss 6 weeks and its being said his draft stock is dropping for whatever reason.

Personally Im not too high on him. You ask any coach and any scout the number one thing they hate (injuries aside) would be lack of effort and this is defenitely not a stigma Reddish has free’d himself from after his freshman year at Duke.

Going into the season it was very debatable who was better between Barrett and Reddish and the fact that Barrett took ended up taking 19 shots per game and Reddish only 12 is also a bad sign to me, especially when he only shoots 35%. Theres no escaping shooting 35% in my eyes. Not a single excuse for that at any level. I get that his true shooting percentage wasnt as bad at 50%, his role was to take a ton of 3’s but still. Those were wide open shots. 

I get that he is very talented but when you gotta ask yourself if the potential skill outweighs the potential negative impact he could have on the rest of your team it makes it very easy just to look at another prospect.Look at Bruno Caboclo for instance. 6’10, 7’7 wingspan, can shoot and block shots so you see him in a workout setting and some vids he looks like a first round pick. If the Raptors knew how terrible his work ethic would be he would never had been drafted.

I look down the list and I just dont see why a team would draft him because you have alot of teams that have had effort issues.

Top 6 makes no sense. because better players are available.

7.Chicago might be the first realistic team but this is a sqaud that just got their coach fired because they didnt want to practice after a blowout. I’d try to bring in someone to change that culture. They also could use a guy like Coby White who just seems to fit in perfectly there.

8 and 10.Hawks could gamble on him since they have two picks and aare kinda in a go big or go home situation. But they have team needs all through that roster and I feel like Doumbaya and Bol both present higher rewards and lower risks than Reddish. 

9.This is where I currently have him going, just because of how incompetent I feel NBA rosters really are.

11. Minnesota’s highest paid players have been publicly scruitinized for lack of effort and rightfully so. Towns is just starting to turn the corner. Not sure if Reddish would be the best fit similar to Chicago.

12. I feel Charlottes going big, and they already have Monk and Bacon patiently waiting for a role increase and seeming ready to provide what Reddish projects to provide.

13.Reddish would get eaten alive by Spoelstra. Miami is a team always full of vets and I doubt Reddish would even see the floor there. They always pick high effort guys and bench guys playing with no effort as seen throughout recent years with Whiteside.

14.Boston has Brown, Tatum and maxed out Hayward capable of playing a similar position and have alot of question marks with their roster this year in other positions, however this maybe a team to gamble on him if he slides because they have so many picks.

15.Coach Casey will not tolerate any lack of effort. I gaurantee theres no way he would be okay with coaching Reddish lol.

And even further beyond this. I mean why would you pass on Okpala, K. Johnson, Nassir Little, NAW. Romeo Langford struggled shooting this year but still finished with 45 FG% and he doesnt get the same type of leeway as Reddish. Whats all the hype about? Really reminding me of Skal Labissiere I think he’s gonna plummet.

OhCanada-
    Participant

Reddish sucks blah blah blah.

Choppy
    Participant

It’s possible he could drop, but I don’t see it. If his effort is as bad as you say, he might be another Wiggins. Still worth a top 10 pick. No-one predicted Skal dropping, like you said, so if you pick this right you can have bragging rights for an entire year and get to do the most epic “I TOLD YOU SO” post. 

OhCanada-
      Participant

Well right now I should say I think he "should" drop because I still have him going 9th. So only gimme the bragging rights if he’s…worse than Wiggins. Like a bad role player.

Dazzling Dunks and Basketball Bloopers
    Participant

I don’t think there’s any way he makes it out of the top 10. As inconsistent as he was at duke this season, there’s just too much talent there. His upside is higher than just about every other player in this draft outside the top 3. The core surgery he is having seems minor and is unlikely to impact his draft stock. If anything it can be used as an explanation for the subpar year he had at duke. There are question marks with almost every player outside the top 3. I could legitimately make an argument that the lakers should considering him with the 4th pick.  

The Goat
    Participant

Gotta be the Hawks. He fits what they need and they have the luxury of two bites at the cherry. They need to gamble on a potentia l or star – Reddish or Bol or both

pjlaw10
    Participant

I have to disagree with you on the effort point you are stressing so hard about here. Admittedly, I’m a huge Duke fan and watched every game he played in this year. Cam did seem out of sorts on the offensive end all season because I believe his game is more suited for an isolation system. But when you have Zion and RJ and Tre Jones as the primary ball handler, and a Duke system that was based around scoring in the paint, then Cam had to find his place in that system which turns out was to spot up, catch, and shoot. Put him in the space of the NBA in one on one situations and he will be much better.

Again, effort is the point you were trying to drive home. As someone that watched every game, effort was NEVER an issue for Cam on the defensive end. Dude worked his tail off every possession of every game and showed massive improvement on that end of the floor from game 1 to game 35. I think a more fair evaluation and criticism is his assertiveness, not his effort. 

Ceiling – Peak Danny Granger

Floor – Current Kelly Oubre

kobyz
      Participant

I’ll say his ceiling is Gordon Hayward and his floor is Mario Hezonja

OhCanada-
      Participant

Well that was insightful to read. Maybe Im wrong about his effort and he just wasnt assertive enough. I admit I probably just have a preconcieved belief that it was a lack of effort because looking back on it your defenitely right I can remember a handful of times his length was a problem on the perimeter.

It was probably tough on him going from a high usage player that touches the ball on every possession to a guy that just stands in the corner waiting for the ball to come his way. He really didnt move well off the ball.

At the same time though you gotta apply yourself to be assertive so I can fully let off the guy but I’ll defenitely give him a bit of a break.

BlueRivers25
    Participant

Cam’s durability is my biggest question mark about him. Cam had a pretty serious injury in high school. During Duke’s Summer, he missed the 3 Canada games. After hitting the game winner against FSU, he missed the next game (Sick). He missed the Sweet 16 game minutes before the game started, due to knee issues. 

For a Duke team that wasn’t deep, Cam averaged less than 30 minutes per game. Compare him to his counterpart, RJ Barrett. RJ played all 38 games, including all preseason games. RJ ave 35 minutes per game, then over 37 minutes during conference play. RJ played the 3rd most minutes in all of college basketball. RJ is durable as hell. 

juves4783
    Participant

the potential is still there.  i think teams will give him a look at 4, 5 and 8-10.   phoenix and chicago will be looking at garland and white.  

cleveland and atlanta just feel like the teams most likely to take the risk because of where they are at.  both can afford to gamble because they are young and expectations are relatively low for next year.  

kobyz
    Participant

He’s one of handful boom or bust type prospect in the draft, he has outlook to develop into complete and well rounded player in the mold of Gordon Hayward but also he has long way to go lacking the right mind and spirit playing the game right now so he also could be another Mario Hezonja who who don’t know how to impact the game although has great tools…

ndbigdave
    Participant

I am a Bulls and Duke fan. I was crazy disappointed when we dropped to #7, but would be elated to get Cam there and would find it to be a steal because it would likely mean that beyond the "Big 3" (Zion, RJ, Morant) that three other guys jumped head of him – as it stands now, that appears to be Garland, White and one of Hunter, Culver or "Player X."

While Cam deserves criticism for an up and down year, people do seem to forget that this is still the same guy who was projected as a possible top 3 pick before the year, was a consensus top player out of high school who put up some crazy EYBL scoring statistics and a 50 point HS game.

His shooting was inconsistent, but was far from ‘"bad." I would have to see where I can find it, but Cam had a shooting percentage that really increased during "clutch" moments – where Duke was up or down by about 5 points in the last few minutes. He hit the game winner against FSU without Zion and was huge in the epic comeback against Louisville. Cam was almost exclusively shooting 3s and while he must tighten up his handle, he showed he can attack the rim and finish – a skill that makes him much more valuable than "just" a 3-and-D player. I did a quick count of his gamelogs and there were only 5 games in which half of his attempts (or more) were not 3s – if we are going to give him a hard time about his shooting percentage, we do need to acknowledge that a vast majority of his shots were from 3. His 77.2% from the FT is solid if unspectacular and leads me to believe he will be a perfectly fine shooter at the next level.

Again, while acknowledging that Cam is far from perfect, I do take issue with "effort" being an issue as he really was good defensively. He averaged 1.6 steals per game and over half a block a game. Cam doesnt show a ton of emotion on the court (there were bursts here and there) but I think he is being unfairly cast as lazy when it may just be his demeanor that turns people off – people said the same thing about McGrady.

While I wont guarantee he turns into a superstar, I see enough to liken him to a Paul George/Tracy McGrady type of ceiling if he keeps working. He has a stroke from the outside, the "switchability" to be a weapon defensively and can act as a secondary distributor/playmaker for most teams (he was the primary ballhandler in high school).

The guys he is being grouped with – Culver and Hunter –  I think he is clearly better than and the statistics (advanaged and otherwise) bear it out. Cam, while playing his first year of college ball averaged more steals while having the same or more blocks per game. Cam’s stats improved over his season averages in the superior ACC conferene. Cam is nearly 2 years younger than Hunter and is 7 months younger than Culver. Cam is a better free throw shooter (I put a decent amount of value in this for predicting future shooting success), Cam has superior size (height and wingspan) to Culver, while being nearly identical to Hunter (while being 2 years younger and a superior shooter).

While I wont go through with Garland and White for right now, the fact that Cam is slipping past #4 is just silly and I would gladly take him at #7.

BlueRivers25
      Participant

Cam was horrible attacking the rim and finishing. Go check out how disappointing his fg% at the rim. Also, he’d often turn the ball over by charging into the rotating player. He had a hard time finishing through contact as well. 

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login