This topic contains 10 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar slash787 11 years ago.

• Author
    cuseflynn10
    Participant

Everyone has been bashing on the 2013 draft. While it may be weak at the top, I feel that there are a lot of players who could stick around in the league for quite some time. We won’t get any of what I call the 4 D’s – Davis, Dion, Damian, and Drummond from this years class, but the non-lottery first round picks have potential to give us a few good NBA talents.

So in order to start a friendly debate, tell me how you think the non-lottery first round picks of 2012 stack up against the projected non-lottery first round picks of 2013.

2012 ACTUAL DRAFT
    15. Moe Harkless
    16. Royce White** (don’t take into consideration his anxiety issues)
    17. Tyler Zeller
    18. Terrence Jones
    19. Andrew Nicholson
    20. Evan Fournier
    21. Jared Sullinger
    22. Fab Melo
    23. John Jenkins
    24. Jared Cunningham
    25. Tony Wroten
    26. Miles Plumlee
    27. Arnett Moultrie
    28. Perry Jones
    29. Marquis Teague
    30. Festus Ezeli

2013 MOCK DRAFT
    15. Mason Plumlee
    16. Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
    17. Rudy Gobert
    18. Giannis Adetokoubo
    19. Doug McDermott
    20. Dario Saric
    21. James McAdoo
    22. Mitch McGary
    23. Lucas Nogueria
    24. Steven Adams
    25. Tim Hardaway Jr.
    26. Gorgui Dieng
    27. Jeff Withey
    28. Allen Crabbe
    29. Nate Wolters
    30. CJ Leslie

There are three Europeans and a Brazilian in the 2013 mock, so if you haven’t seen them play you can take the next four projected into consideration instead. They are: DeShaun Thomas, Tony Mitchell, Isaiah Austin, and Archie Goodwin.

I don’t know about you, but the depth looks better to me in the 2013 draft, but I think you could make a case for either draft. Let me know what you think.

Memphis Madness
    Participant

Might be more depth this year like you said. Maybe an All star or two this year, but you can say that about last year.

cuseflynn10
      Participant

I’m not sure if we’ll see any all stars from the 15-30 range in the 2012 Draft. The only players I see potentially making an all star team are Moe Harkless, Andrew Nicholson, and maybe Perry Jones if he ever got to start on another team and live up to his potential, but that’s a long shot. There are a ton of young forwards coming in the next year or two that will make it even harder just to stick in the league, let alone make an all star game. Maybe a player will surprise me once their rookie contract is up and they sign somewhere for more minutes, but for now Harkless and Nicholson look like the only two with a chance, and I wouldn’t bet much on them making one anytime soon.

eleqtrique87
        Participant

Andrew Nicholson is a one-dimensional player who’ll be a good option off the bench. He doesn’t play defense, doesn’t rebound and doesn’t finish at the rim. He’s a good mid range shooter.

Tobias Harris has been starting for the Magic at PF and has been playing huge minutes. If there’s a Magic player besides Harkless who has a chance at an all-star selection it’s Tobias.

SubZero
    Participant

Kentavious Caldwell-Pope could end up being the best one on that list

r377r377
    r377
    Participant

I thought this would be a no brainer but since you are not doing lottery the 2012 class doesn’t look as strong as I thought…..

2012 only has one genuine starter in Harkless. There are a few borderline starters in Zeller, Sullinger, Ezili and possible Jenkins will develop.

2013 looks ok, I think I read Mcgary is staying. Not sure if PJ Hairston is delcaring ?

r377r377
    r377
    Participant

I would love to see users thoughts on who will be the bigger bust out of PJ3 and McAdoo….

kingofbums
      Participant

i think that will depend on the team mcadoo falls to though…he would be a fairly good addition for some teams that like to run

Turnip
      Participant

Can the 28th pick in the draft even be considered a bust?

eleqtrique87
    Participant

Besides Harkless, Sullinger and Fournier have the potential to become solid starters in this league.

We all know Sullinger’s ability. It was just the bad back that lowered his draft position and expectations. Hopefully he can return to basketball activities at 100% and become that Zach Randolph/Carlos Boozer type of player.

Fournier didn’t have a game where he played more than 18 minutes before this week. He played around 20 minutes against Brooklyn and scored 19 points, while he played around 20 minutes again yesterday and scored 18 points. He did it on great efficiency and in a variety of ways. He also made a couple plays for others on the fast break after getting some steals. This kid could become a Kevin Martin type of player if he gets it together. He got those minutes because of the injury to Ty Lawson and made good use of it. He’ll definitely be in the rotation next season and could receive an even bigger boost in minutes if guys like Iguodala and Brewer sign elsewhere (free agency).

2013 looks stacked with a group of guys that will definitely make a name for themselves. I expect a couple of “Chandler Parsons” type of steals in the late 1st to early 2nd.

slash787
    Participant

Harkless is going to be a great player in my opinion.
    Tyler Zeller will be a good sixth man fill in type guy
    Terrence Jones is very underrated in my opinion. This guy is tearing up the d-league and even last night he finally got some PT and put up a nice double double. I think he will be a very good player.
    Nicholson is a great scorer not sure what else he can do
    Evan Fournier is another guy that will be a very solid starter
    Sullinger if he can stay healthy will be a solid starter and average a double double.

I think the guys above are all solid players

Marquis Teague will be a solid player in my opinion when he gets the PT.

The rest of the 2012 guys I am not sure about but based on what I have seen and the way the players are progressing I would say they will be better.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login