This topic contains 37 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar JNixon 13 years, 7 months ago.

• Author
    Lotto Stud
    Participant

Why do you have Chris Wright from Dayton going to Orlando @ #29 & New Orleans @ #41?

http://www.nbadraft.net/2011mock_draft

JNixon
    Participant

He probably meant to put the other Chris Wright (Georgetown) at 41.

SwatLakeCity
    Participant

Yeah I noticed that too. What are they, twins with the exact same name. Haha. Gave me some laughs.

basedSERB
    Participant

the one in dayton is a sf and the one from georgetown is a pg, i dont know how he got it mixed up (aran), they look different, different size, and different schools. but it happens i think he just made a mistake

JoeWolf1

I’m telling all of you guys who view nbadraft.net’s mock and aren’t familiar with Alec Burks or haven’t seen him play. After another season in Colorado the guy is going to be a 20-30 guy. The holes in his game will be a little more exposed this year and Colorado still isn’t very good. I know no one really expects a Sept 18th Mock to be spot on for next year, but don’t get too high on this guy as a top 10 pick. He’s not.

JNixon
    Participant

Yeah Burks is so overhyped right now haha. Did you see that National Player of the Year thread? That guy was trying to get me to believe ALEC BURKS, who plays for a Colorado team that lost 20 something games, was a candidate over Demetri McCamey. Compared him to Evan Turner and everything. Alec Burks isn’t as good a player as he’s being made to be right now, mostly the hype is coming by all the people who haven’t even really seen him play. His stats are inflated and people who haven’t watched him play are falling for it.

RUDEBOY_
    Participant

Yeah..i’m not high on Burks either..

I think that kid Higgins will be a better pro..

JNixon
    Participant

That’s how I can tell who has seen Burks play. Because they always mention Higgins too. Higgins is better than Burks is, and that won’t change next year. As a K-State fan, I was way more concerned about Higgins getting his than I was about Burks. And Big 12 coaches were too. Teams gameplanned alot harder on Higgins than they ever did Burks, and Burks put up inflated stats partially because of that, along with the gimmick offense Colorado ran under former Coach Bdzelik.

JoeWolf1

I hear you Iggy, my team is in the Big 12 too and I saw him play probably 5 or 6 times. Burks even had a good game when they gave KU as scare in Boulder, but they were almost all on transition. People see Burks’ size, how he runs and jumps and look at his numbers as a freshman and think he’s a top 10 guy, but his numbers aren’t going to be much better next year, nor is his team, and the holes in his game will be exposed. I’m not saying he’s not going to get drafted or is a bum, but 20-30 if he leaves this year and 2nd round if he leaves in 12. He’s just one of those guys who made a splash, but isn’t going to get a lot better.

Lotto Stud
    Participant

I know he meant to put Chris Wright for Georgetown in 1 of those spots I just didn’t know where.

JNixon
    Participant

Scouts tend to think the Dayton Chris Wright is a 1st round prospect. I don’t, he’s just an athlete with decent size for a SF. But he’s a tweener, which kind of nullifies that.

But in this case, that’s beside the point. I’m pretty sure this site likes the Dayton Wright as a better prospect than his namesake at G’Town though.

gregoden08
    Participant

” He’s just one of those guys who made a splash, but isn’t going to get a lot better.”

That makes literally no sense. I agree, he is overhyped, but he is a first round talent. He mostly scores in transition and off putbacks…So that means he has a lot of room to get better. I think Higgins is a better player in college, but in terms of nba potential it’s Burks and it’s not even close.

JoeWolf1

How does that make no sense? You’ve never heard of a player who puts up big numbers as a freshman and doesn’t improve? You can be the first to throw that in my face if he does. I said he is 1st round talent 20-30 to be exact, and a lot of people who rely on their athleticism and transition basketball don’t improve in college because they don’t have to. He can put up 17 a night on a bad Colorado team doing exactly what he does, I don’t think he’s going to add a jumpshot from what I’ve seen. It’s a prediction, based off what I’ve seen of him and what I know about Colorado basketball. I could be wrong, yes, but my reasoning makes sense.

RUDEBOY_
    Participant

Yeah sometimes freshman making a Splash can fool people..
    Folks got carried away with Rex Chapman & Mark Macon after their Freshman year..
    People were comparing Chapman to Jerry West & Macon to Oscar Robinson….
    A few years people were comparing Joe Forte to Mitch Richmond..After he made a big splash as a freshman…

JoeWolf1

Agreed RUDEBOY, Tyler Hansbrough, T.J. Ford, Jason Gardner also come to mind, it’s not like they are bad players, but they just didn’t get much better. I think Burks is one of those guys

Mr.Knick 32
    Participant

I think it’s unfair to say he won’t ever improve.

I think Burks is alright. I think he’s a 15-20 guy more then top 10 but he has some kinks to work out. I would compare him to Branden Rush. He might have a good season this year and we could be calling him Nick Anderson or something even better. We don’t know.

JoeWolf1

I don’t think his game will remain completely stagnant, but when you’re a transitional SG and you can get away with it and be very good at a college level there isn’t as much pressure to become a good jump shooter. In addition, Bzdelik’s offense relies on a lot of back door cuts and easy buckets, its perfect for an athletic guy like Burks to beat his man to the bucket for an easy layup and Higgins will be showcased for most of the plays that involve a screen and shoot situation. I’m sure he’ll improve a little each year he stays in school, but what I mean by that is that since he put up 17 and 5 as a frosh I highly doubt he’s gonna be at like 24 and 7 next year, I think his stats will stay about the same and im sure he’ll get better at certain aspects of his game.

I just don’t think he’s top 10, look how polished the shooting guards who have been taken in the top 10 have been lately. Evan Turner, James Harden, Eric Gordon, OJ Mayo, Tyreke Evans, Demarr DeRozen is the exception as a potential guy because of his wingspan and vert and I just don’t think Burks is in that category of shooting guards. Like I said, it’s all predictions at this point because the season hasn’t even started yet, but this is mine and I feel pretty strongly about it. Burks is a 20-30 guy, no way is he a top 10 pick.

Mr.Knick 32
    Participant

I’ll ask right now: What’s the difference between Harden and Burks?

Harden had kinda similar numbers (more assists I believe) at ASU because he was the 1st and 2nd best guard on his team. I mean if Cory Huggins (Higgins?) wasn’t on CU, he would be posting similar numbers to Harden I believe.

JoeWolf1

Harden could shoot and he really thrived in college with the ball in his hands, he had better handles.was a 40+ % 3 point shooter in college and a better defender. and a legit creator for his team mates. Burks isn’t a very good passer, nor does he create for his team mates he averaged 1.8 assists per game last year to Harden’s 3.7 on his college career. But here is the thing, Harden was hands down the best guard on his team, if Higgins played with Harden at ASU, Harden would be the man and Higgins would be #2. You’re saying Burks isn’t and Colorado is a poor team so having another guard that is argueably better on a non tournament team means top 10?

Mr. 19134
    Participant

So you’re telling me that Alec Burks doesn’t look like he has improved his halfcourt game and his pull up ability, not to mention showing the ability to make floaters in the lane, and take a close look at the defenders in the film all top prospect like the Morris brothers and so on.

JoeWolf1

I’m sorry man, a one minute youtube clip that focuses only on Burks isn’t going to change my opinion AT ALL. He could have been 5-20 during that scrimmage, its a highlight reel.

Mr.Knick 32
    Participant

Agreed with the Harden part. However, Burks is more a slasher.

My point was Burks is a college number one to me but CO already have a #1 in Higgins. Not to mention, the numbers aren’t far away support on Higgins. I think if Burks was on a team like Clemson or Texas A&M where I don’t believe they have a good shooting guard, Burks would post similar numbers as the #1 scoring option and lead a team to the NCAA tourney similar to Harden

JoeWolf1

I agree he’d have better numbers than he did in Colorado, but not as a creator. I think his max for assists is about 2.3. Burks couldn’t even lead his current team to the tournament, I don’t think if he were on another team he could do what he failed to do in Colorado. I don’t even know what we’re talking about anymore, hypothetical situations with TAMU,lol , I don’t dislike Burks as a player, he’s just not top 10 talent IMO.

Demarcus Oneal
    Participant

No Harden was an outstanding college player as well as dynamic scorer better shooter, better slasher better playmaker Harden was not the No.3 draft pick for nothing. But Harden on that colorado team with HIggins they make the tournament no way Burks is even comparable or as good as Harden

Mr. 19134
    Participant

Joe Wolf the point of the video was night to give you a highlight video it was to show you a few bullets points on what Burks had added to his game in the offseason. He is a threat to pull up off the dribble at anytime, and can beat his man off the dribble whenever he wants. He got a good array of moves with the ball in his hands and can hit mid rangers and floaters with ease now. If you follow Jonathon Givony of DraftExpress.com on twitter like I do he was tweeting during the Adidas worlds that Burcs was hands down the best scorer on the floor.

And Colorado changed coaches Jeff Bzdelik went to Wake Forest and he was replaced with Tad Boyle. Jeff ran more of a princeton offense where Higgins excelled in coming off of screens and Burks was the back door cut man. But Boyle will run more of an up tempo offense that will feature Burks more because Burks is better with the ball in his hands then Higgins is. JNixon told me that Colorado will run more of a half court offense this year, not true Boyle will push the speed of the game and use high players strength I really believe that Burks can average 20 points this year and Burks and Higgins are the best 1-2 punch in that conference right now. It you don’t agree with that you have to agree they are the best duo of wingmen in the conference. If you look at what Boyle did with Northern Colorado you can expect to see some fun and tough games from Colorado within the Big 12 this year. And they’re moving to the Pac 10 next year so if Boyle can showcase Burks enough to get him in the lottery then that means more west coast recruits for him.

stanford hoops

alec burk isnt overhyped. according to scouts he has improved and to say he wont improve doesnt make much sense. it can happen but its doubtful because hes a very good player ands most freshmen improve. hes definatly a first round talent thats not even disputable

and pretty much we all hold draftexpress player profiles in high reguards

Mr. 19134
    Participant

I know i can’t understand people when they say he wont improve. He obviously improved a lot from High School to College because he was on nobodys radar going into college. The kid got better as the college season went on capping off the season with two 24 points games including a double double with 10 rebounds in the final game vs. Texas Tech. To say he won’t improve is completely opinionated and biased because if you did research and heard what the scouts are saying he has been working hard all summer and has improved almost every aspect of his game. Draft Express has him rated as the number 2 prospect in the Big 12 after the Adidas Nations.

Burks isn’t as good as Harden but they are certainly comparable after their Freshman years. Harden is a better pure shooter and a way better passer.

JoeWolf1

Well then, I’m excited to see him play this season. I didn’t see a top 10 talent when I watched him play last season, I saw a 20-30 guy, I’ll be the first to admit I’m wrong if thats the case, but I need to see him in game action and conference play before I’m sold.

Mr. 19134
    Participant

I wasn’t even a big Alec Burks fan myself and I honestly didn’t even know who he was untill I watch the Colorado-Texas game last year just to see Damion James and Hamilton play, the only person I knew on Colorado was Higgins but Burks outplayed all 3 of them that game in a losing effort however. I thought he was like a mid first round pick at best after that game and he normally probably would be but considering the lack of depth in this draft for shooting guard he could go top ten if he does improve his production and anchor Colorado over the 20 win mark which shouldn’t be too hard because they did have 15 last year. And they’re two best players are back. But I will admit i got a soft spot for tall skinny, silky smoothe lanky 2guards like Burks. It started with Larry Hughes, I was a big Julius Hodge fan, and huge Evan Turner fan because I love Ohio state and Burks shares similarities with those players. JNixon tried comparing him to Richard Roby and I think thats an entirely unfair comparison. Roby’s career is like a poster for why not to stay in college, because he stayed all four years and seemingly never changed kept the same exact stats and if anything became a worse shooter, he is a unique scenario because that almost never happens.

In the end and this is just a comparison of there body build, overall athleticism, and playing style Alec Burks reminds me a lot of Jamal Crawford. I don’t think he will ever be as good an Crawford but last year I never thought I would see him going in the top ten in mock drafts, but its called work ethic and this kid got it so don’t be surprised with any success he has because he is certainly working for it.

JNixon
    Participant

So he’s like Evan Turner, Larry Hughes, and now he’s like Jamal Crawford? You see why I can’t take what you say seriously right? Because you have no idea what you’re talking about.

And Stanfordhoops, what’s YOUR opinion on Burks? Since you basically posted what Draftexpress thinks, and not what you think. And even Draftexpress said that Burks is a guy that they shouldn’t be in a rush to talk about as an NBA player. I know me and JoeWolf have seen him play, but to post what Draftexpress post is pointless, since we already can do that for ourselves. He’s overhyped, not everything they say is right anyway. For him to be a top 5 pick is crazy. Anyone that has seen him play will tell you the same thing. Draftexpress doesn’t even have him in the top 5

RUDEBOY_
    Participant

LoL..Yeah i remember Dee Brown and Deron Williams were sophomores..
    Everyone was saying Dee Brown was the better player..
    I said D-Will was the better player…

My friends said D-Will was too slow,not athletic enuff and too fat..
    Folks were bragging about Brown’s speed..And how his speed would translate to success in the nba..

But if you knew the game of basketball..You could see D-Will was going to be the better prospect…

Mr. 19134
    Participant

JNixon to you know how to interpret what you read?

I specifically said this is just a comparison of the overall body build, athleticism, and overall playing style. I wanted clarify what i meant by similarities because I just got done talking about what type of 2guards I like. Which would be tall lanky ones who are smooth and quick on screens and with the ball in their hands. And the players I mentioned all have those traits. And besides Crawford being an easily better passer, ball handler, and 3 point shooter (which he didn’t have as a freshman at Michigan) I think Alec Burks looks a lot like a young Jamal Crawford at Michigan. Despite the things Crawford does better that I mention above, Burks is a better rebounder and a little more a long in his defensive efforts at the same point.

Demarcus Oneal
    Participant

@Rudeboy i am ashamed to say i was one of those people who thought Dee Brown would be better then Deron Williams

JNixon
    Participant

“In the end and this is just a comparison of there body build, overall athleticism, and playing style Alec Burks reminds me a lot of Jamal Crawford.”

Why would you compare someone if they do nothing alike though? What sense does that make? Alec Burks deserves no mention with Jamal Crawford. That are alot of skinny 6’5 wings, but what does that have to do with making a comparison to Jamal Crawford between a player that has NO similarities to him?

And then said I can’t comprehend your reading. hahaha. You brought up playing style, body build, and athleticism in a comparison. Those are like the most prevalent things most people talk about in a comparison. I only go by what you put man. And what you are writing isn’t logical. You are overhyping Alec Burks, but it’s OK. Most people that haven’t watched him more than 1 time like yourself are too.

Mr. 19134
    Participant

This site is called NBADRAFT.NET, and what we do here is give educated opinions on the future of professional prospects. None of us can see into the future, all we can do is keep our ears and eyes open for information about how these athletes are progressing in the off season, take that into account with what we already know, and then compare what is going on with previous situations that may share similar relevance. With that said as a freshman at Michigan Jamal Crawford was a 6’5 180 lb shooting guard who was a smooth athlete, quick and crafty in traffic with ball, who could also finish well at the rim due to quick leaping ability. Despite not being a Mcdonalds All American or a 5 star recruit Crawford went on to average 16.6 points, 4.5 assists, 3 rebounds, and a steal as a Freshmen. Crawford only shot 41% from the field and 32% from 3. That didn’t stop the Cavs from selecting him 8th in the draft before trading him to Chicago. Guards of Burks size, athleticism, and skill level aren’t as easy to come by as you think.

JNixon
    Participant

“Guards of Burks size, athleticism, and skill level aren’t as easy to come by as you think.”

They also aren’t comparable to 3 different players, who all have different strengths and weaknesses than another player. Alec Burks isn’t Jamal Crawford at all. And I know that without having to see in the future. Burks has shown nowhere near Crawford’s ability to create his own offense off the bounce at the college level, and Crawford’s role in the NBA and in college is to create offense.

Mr. 19134
    Participant

Burks is certainly near Crawfords level as a freshman in college at creating offense. Burks isn’t the passer that Crawford is but Burks is a better defender and rebounder at the same stage plus Burks takes better shots. Burks was held down in Jeff Bzdeliks Princeton offense. Did you see the Gonzaga Burks only had 11 points but 7 of them were in the final 8 minutes and he could of had a lot more if it weren’t for Tomlinson not being able to find people open, and Higgins seems to just put his head down and go right on every drive. I have never seen Higgins make a nice play going to his left once he goes right every time and got tunnel vision because i witnessed at least 4 drives where the defense collapsed on him and Burks was wide open on the block but Higgins chucked up a heavily contested shot anyway. Burks pulls up smoothly off the dribble and has a quick release. He showed his youth a lot last year though especially in the Gonzaga came where he should of been more aggressive but deferred to Higgins and Tomlinson for no obvious reasons. When Burks gets the ball in the open court he extremely tough to stop from getting by you. With a year of college under his belt and the confidence of a new head coach that is gonna push the pace more Burks is gonna have a big bandwagon by the end of the year. At first I thought he was overrated myself but after watching more film on him he has everything you look for in a 2 guard.

JNixon
    Participant

Lol, he was wasn’t held back in Colorado’s offense. His stats were inflated in that offense, and it covered his weaknesses while exploiting his strengths.

The reason Higgins took shots in the half-court from Burks is because Burks isn’t very good in half-court offense and Higgins is better. Burks was mostly a transition scorer, and you keep acting like he’s some guy who should’ve been taking half-court shots from Higgins, when he’s not. He’s not that good a player when he’s not in transition.

How can you make a comparison to someone, and then say, he does everything differently? I honestly don’t think you make any sense in regards to how he plays. At all.

And Burks wasn’t on Crawford’s level as a true scorer as a Fr. Crawford has always had great shot-creating skills in both the half and full court. Burks has not

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login