This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar Harbinger 12 years, 3 months ago.

• Author
    SwatLakeCity
    Participant

John Wall: Russell Westbrook/ Jason Kidd

Evan Turner: Brandon Roy

Derrick Favors: Elton Brand (When he was with the Clippers)

Wesley Johnson: Shawn Marion

Demarcus Cousins: Al Jefferson (if it wasn’t for his childish acts and maturity level he would have been competing for the top pick in the draft, but probably would have gone second.

Ekpe Udoh: Serge Ibaka

Greg Monroe: Marc Gasol

Al Farouq Aminu: Thaddeus Young/Andrei Kirilenko

Gordon Hayward: Trevor Ariza/Michael Redd (Before injury)

Paul George: Luol Deng/ Rudy Gay (I still don’t know how this guy slipped to tenth)

Cole Aldrich: Joel Pryzbilla

Xavier Henry: Have not seen enough to give a comparison. He has been injured too many times.

Ed Davis: A poor man’s Al Horford

Patrick Patterson: Carl Landry

darkman97
    Participant

I never critize anyones post, but I’m not feeling any of the comparisons. Comparing Jason Kidd to anyone is a little overboard in my eyes. I’m also iffy on the Elton Brand/ Derrick Favors one also. Elton came out of Duke putting up decent stats while Favors is still finding his way. Brandon Roy and Evan Turner? One is an All Star and the other is probably a great sixth man. Wesley Johnson has a good chance at becoming a variation of Marion, but his shooting is not there yet and Marion is a good slasher that Wes hasn’t been able to do much of yet. But you are right if you are saying Cole Aldrich/ Joel Pryzbilla because they are both tall white boys from Minnesota though.

Harbinger

^^^^I cant feel what you said either.Roy and Evan are both ball dominat gaurds difference is evan had to adjust to a team full of ball handlers in the sixers and come off the bench. Roy got the starting job early in his career not much comp and never had to adjust to playing off ball since he was the star player of his team early won rookie of the year and then became an all star cal type of player.

Cole and Joel are not  solely alike just because they are TALL,WHITE, AND FROM MINN as you say thats a 3rd grade comparison.

boshjonesford
    Participant

Ive changed a couple from your list that i didnt agree with

Greg Monrou – Chris Webber and not Marc Gasol hes more of big center with not the finese abilty

Gordan Hayword – Mike dunlevy and not trevor ariza hes more athletic and defensive

ED Davs – Thristan Thompson (he was drafted after) like a PJ brown type as upsoed to AL horford who’s has strenth/bulk and can not be compared to ed 

Rest are understable

darkman97
    Participant

Well Harbinger the Tall white Minnesota part was a joke. (but since you did bring it up, I would like to know what comparisons you see so far in their NBA games) But I stand by my opinion of not seeing the comparison of Brandon Roy and Evan Turner. If Evan Turner does become a 20 per night go to player and an All Star then I will agree I just don’t see it yet. Not saying it won’t happen but I just don’t see it yet.

Harbinger

When I compare the two I dont mean Evan will put out the same production state wise I mean style of play and skill not to many 6-6  shooting gaurds can  bring the ball up and play point not to many sg can even bring the ball up court and get the team a scored bucket or assit at an ok ratio.They both are team oriented players as seen they can be succesful without having to get and iso as many other players need they can stick to the playbook and system and make somthing happen either for them or teammates and win.This wasnt true before but now Evans shooting ability dribble and penetration ability is close to Brandons thanks to hardwork during the lockout and early playoff exit.

I haven’t watched Cole play in a few years he’s a big body  for sure but like joel he needs to expand his game to be other then a wall protecting the rim and rebounding. I thought you were serious with the tall white thing lol you see alot of crazy talk on here.

Harbinger

Another player and former 76er Turner reminds me of is John Salmons. Took him a while to find his niche in the nba but is solid  Turner is winning now and playing ok now so when he does find his I can see him being very good in the league.

SwatLakeCity
    Participant

Harbinger, that is exactly how I do comparisons. I don’t mean that stat wise they will get those same numbers but both players play the same way.

boshjonesford, normally I would agree with your comparison of Ed Davis to Tristan Thompson but since Thompson was drafted one year later, you can’t really compare those two, simply because we don’t know how Thompson will pan out. That’s why I put a poor man’s Al Horford. We know how he panned out, and potential wise that is how I think Davis will pan out. They are not going to produce the same numbers stat wise but they do play the same way. As for the Greg Monroe=Chris Webber comparison, since Monroe plays center, comparing him to a power forward doesn’t really make much sense, now does it. I thought of comparing Hayward to Dunleavy, but Dunleavy really doesn’t play any defense while Ariza does. (Remember ’09 western conference finals how he solely won the Nuggets series with those two out of bounds steals?) You would never see Dunleavy do that, but you would see Hayward do that. And Ariza is definitely more athletic than Dunleavy, are we even talking about the same player?

JoeWolf1

The biggest problem I have with these is that a lot of these guys have seen significant time, done very little and are still being compared to All-Star caliber players.  I am a little more leaniant with pre draft comparisons, but these guys are already falling short of expectations, yet still compared to very good players.

darkman97
    Participant

I’m still stuck on the Turner comparison. So since we are comparing in the manner of being a 6’6 shooting gaurd that can bring the ball up the court possibly play PG if needed and get the team a needed score. We can feel safe to say that Evan Turner can be compared to Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant also?

To me a true comparison should be a little more of the players all around game. This should include position, scoring, defense, style of play and so on.

ppp38
    Participant

I think Monroe is already better than Marc Gasol and is a better rebounder and a better scorer but not a shot blocker so I don’t see the comparison. I do agree with a much less athletic Chris Webber- Monroe reminds me of Chris when he playing C for Detroit except he’s significantly better than that version of Webber. He’s a very crafty player, is a great passer- he is being used like Webber was, facilitating for his team in the high post. I think when its all said and done, Greg Monroe will be the best player from the 2010 draft.

Harbinger

No we cant  say Evan or Roy are  like Mike or Kobe  2 of the best sg of all time. Mike and Kobe does/did everything Evan and Roy does/did but better plus  scores at will.

Harbinger

I have seen lots of sg bring the ball up and try to play point and it leads to nothing but bad shots,turnovers,low shotclock time, few passes , dysfunction on the floor. You can leave few sg on the floor to run the team as the pg for an entire game or from what I have saw short periods of time lol  but Evan can and Roy could.  neither are kobe or mike they are evan and roy two players who have similiar games but cannot score at will aren’t as athletic as kobe or mike. neither  have the post game as the 2.I used the 6’6 thing because it is another thing they have in common like there weight and athletic ability which all plays a part in there comparison  and style of play because of roy was 7 foot 300 i wouldnt be comparing him at all to Evan dont you think. Im just pointing out all the similarities I can find to back my theory

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login