2003 -Pistons Fans Excited to get Darko...LMAO

RUDEBOY_
RUDEBOY_'s picture
2003 -Pistons Fans Excited to get Darko...LMAO

How Strange that All of these guys predictions came true....lol

Video: Pistons fans being excited about Darko Milicic in 2003 http://thesco.re/17jauB1 via @theScore

Seamo15
Seamo15's picture
The guy in the suit knew what

The guy in the suit knew what was up haha

rope
rope's picture
Sad Thing

Sad thing was a lot of people were excited about him. He looked to have all the tools. He really never focused once he got here and got money. He was more legendary for the prosperity he brought to Detroit's strip clubs that he was for anything he ever did on the court. I don't think the team helped him any, as he was buried deep on the bench his first couple of years and, apparently, his role as a human victory cigar really hurt his confidence. He was a bust though, completely of his own making. What a joke.

rtbt
Rope on Darko

Rope nailed it!

Milicic was a star waiting to happen. He had all of the tools, height, jumping/running ability, and strength. What was missing was a work ethic, mental toughness, and confidence. To this day, I believe going to the World Champion Detroit Pistons at the age of 18 or 19 was the worst thing that could have possibly happened to him. It totally destroyed whatever confidence he had.

But in the end, Rope was right, Milicic had multiple opportunities and failed because of his poor work ethic, lack of confidence and the drive to be great. He had all of the physical tools to become an outstanding center, but he will go down as another physically gifted athlete who failed in the NBA.

rtbt
One Other Comment on Milicic

He was truly an enigma. Every now and then Milicic would have a game where he scored in double figures, had 14 or 15 rebounds, and blocked 5 or 6 shots. Those are all star numbers!

Then he would disappear for several games, do essentially nothing, and suddenly come up with another game like the one I described above. Why Milicic couldn't perform on a consistent basis was a mystery to me, but I think it was a combination of no confidence and a poor work ethic. In addition, I believe he lacked mental toughness and the drive to become great.

MagikKnick
MagikKnick's picture
Its freaky how they were

Its freaky how they were actually in the Finals the next year...but Darko did suck too lol

PabloFiasco
PabloFiasco's picture
Smh...he looked decent going

Smh...he looked decent going into the draft. Over hyped but decent. Detroit wasn't the right fit for him to be groomed

Memphis Madness
Lots of guys in this draft

Lots of guys in this draft with possible Darko potential (darkotential?).

Alex Len, Cody Zeller, Kelly Olynyk, Steven Adams, Rudy Gobert possibly, Mason Plumlee...

Darko would feel right at home in this draft.

Cavaliers420
Cavaliers420's picture
Can't believe he was taken

Can't believe he was taken before Carmelo and D-Wade. Just Shocked.

rtbt
It was a different era

Cavaliers420, looking back in time it's easy to say what you did above. However, let's consider a few factors which influenced the decision by Joe Dumars (Pistons GM).

At that point in time in the NBA and it's probably still true today, finding an athletic big man was at the top of every GM's wish list. Milicic was only 18 or 19 years old, he was 7 feet tall, and he could run the court and get off the ground big time. Those were the kind of skills which were, and still are, very rare in seven footers. The Pistons just won the NBA championship and they planned on grooming Darko to become their next big man. They didn't need another scorer.

Once again, the prevailing wisdom in the NBA was the following, when choosing between a guard, forward, or big man, go with the seven footer. That's what Dumars was thinking because scorers are much easier to find than athletic big men. Unfortunately Dumars didn't know at the time that Milicic didn't have the mental capacity and drive to become an NBA all star, but he certainly had the requisite physical skills.

In addition, nobody knew at the time that both Anthony and Wade would become super stars. Yes they were excellent college players but not sure fire all stars. I think Wade surprised a lot more people than Carmelo. By the way, I would take Wade over Carmelo any day of the week.

McDunkin
McDunkin's picture
(No subject)

photo mad-1_zps247899e8.png

FutureNBAGM
Still stings to this day.

Still stings to this day.

FutureNBAGM
Basically, Darko Mili&$#%#&@!

Basically, Darko Mili&$#%#[email protected]! was just a classic example of that saying "Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard" His talent was about as lazy as could be.

RSS: Syndicate content