Top 5 Power Forwards in the NBA
Who are the top five power forwards in the NBA RIGHT NOW? Here's my list:
1. Dirk Nowitzki - The best right now, though he doesn't have the killer instinct we'd like. Like Pau Gasol, he's one of the most versatile 7 footers ever. Many people have slept on him because of the meltdown his team had versus Miami in the Finals and Golden State in the playoffs.
2. Pau Gasol - I wanted to put him at the top, BUT he's still VERY soft. You can't deny his talent, fundamentals and what he can do when he decides to play aggressive. When he does, he impresses the hell out of me.
3. Tim Duncan - Even at this stage with his knees hurting, he can still anchor a team on offense and defense. He's solid every year though no where near as dominant when they were winning championships. He'll need Tony Parker and Manu Ginobli more than ever next season.
4. Kevin Garnett - Similar to Duncan, except can no longer anchor a team on offense... An all-around solid player who brings passion/leadership and defense. No longer a 20, 10 and 5 guy. Still one of the most versatile power forwards in the NBA.
5. Al Jefferson - I may get criticism because of picking him over Amare Stoudemire and Chris Bosh, but I think Jefferson is better. He should've made the All-Star team the last two seasons. He averages more points, rebounds, blocks and shoots a higher field goal percentage than Stoudemire and Bosh. I suggest everybody try to watch Jefferson next season, because I think he's probably the best low post scorer in the NBA.
I agree with the top 3. At 4 I would put Rashard Lewis and at 5 Bosh. Garnett is going to be worse this year. Stoudemire is too injury prone. And Lewis is more versatile.
he is not better than bosh or amar'e. i think l.aldridge is in the same category as jefferson...just watch him next year.
Lewis is a natural small forward though.
Ya but he played the entire year at PF
Amare is way too injury proned and doesn't play D. Aldridge is a 6-11 jump shooter. I chose Jefferson because he can play with his back facing or away from the basket. He's probably the best low post scorer in the NBA. He's also a better rebounder than Aldridge.
dirk but the rest wrong
phoenix fits his style
behind dirk as best pf shooter
great post moves
best defensive pf in list and can hit mid range jumper more consistently then duncan
and jefferson no in discussion because he has no range i would put david west in front of him
20 10 guy
great mid range jumper
can get anything at rim
better when there healthy amare is second best when healthy
Tim Duncan is a center that why i didnt put him in
Are you guys serious? Dirk the best pf in the game?! no. He's the best shooting pf but he is extremely soft. Best pf in the game is Tim Duncan. Even though people think he's a center, he is not. He is a PF that is why he starts every all star game at PF, so that is exactly what he is. He might not be this year because of undersized McDyess but he is definately a PF in this league, and is the best
Pau Gasol needs to be tops because he can post pass shoot and play defense now. Dirk is lacking on the Defense. Dirk would be second, Amare would be third. I think some people get it confused because they be like Amare would kill Dirk. You are right but Amare can't guy Dirk either. Dirk would be a harder match up problem.
Duncan is the best PF in the game....
I think anyone that considers Duncan a pf and doesn't list him as such is completely overlooking the guy. All he does is bring the consistency every game on both ends of the floor. I guarantee if he was in a different system or on a different team he would score more, but it's not about scoring, it's about winning.
Here is my list with Duncan as a PF...
5. Al Jefferson
If we count Duncan as a Center then my next guy up would be Amare. I think the hard part about comparing these guys is that they are all so different. I think Dirk can be monstrous. It is just sad he doesn't bring it every game because he's a matchup nightmare. KG may not have the same numbers, but he is still an excellent rebounder, defender, passer and has good range. Gasol does a little bit of everything. Shoots well with both hands, long, athletic. Unfortunately, he has a personality like Dirk's. I love the things they do in the European game, especially with big men. If only they had the American attitude of no one being able to stop them, they would be unbelievable. Everyone sleeps on big Al. He's a nice player and he does very well despite not playing his natural position.
5. Al Jefferson
Only reason people say Duncan is a PF so they can say he is the best. When Matt Bonner McDyess and Kurt Thomas play next to you your the Center
Tim Duncan is the prototype of a fundamental PF, outside of his average athleticism. He has shooting range out to the 3 pt line, is a great passer, runs the pick and roll by 1st setting a great pick then going down the seam and finishing great. Is an outstanding rebounder. Great, unselfish and hardworking team player. He also plays really good post defense. Do I need to mention the fundamentals? He is not only the best PF in the game, but arguably ever.
Kevin Garnett is the prototype of the athletic PF. He is a great scorer offensively capable of taking over games. Range extends past the NBA 3. Has every physical tool imaginable. A great defender as well, with good shot blocking and the abiltity to smother a PG in the pick and roll. His rebounding ability passes all of those tools though. League-leader in that department. A leader on the court who will bring the fire out of guys.
Pal Gasol is a little weak and soft defensively, but he has every offensive tool you could ever think of. He is perfect for the triangle because he can score at any level on the court and if he doesnt see an opportunity to score, he can pass with the accuracy of a PG. An average rebounder for his size and athleticism.He is almost 30 years old but if he gets stronger and more aggressive could still get better.
Dirk Nowitzki is soft defensively as well but he's lethal on offense. That mid-range game he has is a thing of beauty. He has great size, but his post game needs improvement. Great rebounder. Is a shooting guard in a centers body. A guy coaches have nightmare gameplanning against, but is a championship caliber player? Maybe not, but he is a great PF.
Amare Stoudemire has all the physical tools to be an even more dominant player in the league, and thats very scary One of the very strongest players in the league.Injury prone, but when gets out there he has to be accounted for at all times. He has an explsive 1st step and will dunk the ball on you if your not careful.Not so good fundamental defender, but he will pen shots on the glass from the weak side every now and then. Rebounding needs to get better because he has the physical tools to be a league leader, but he lacks awareness. He suffers from a low bball IQ that hinders him kinda, but he is a beast nonetheless.
is al jefferson in every ones top 5. Boozer better than big gay al!
No way...u better do your research Ha
Big Al is special in the post. Boozer has a game, but nothing like Big Al.
did every one complain about the garnett and al trade if big al is top 5.
2) Chris Bosh
3) Al jefferson
4) Kevin Garnett
j1232e- That trade was good for both teams.
Most people just don't know about Jefferson.
I think jefferson will be great, I think as of right now boozer is a better player.
with many of you who say tim is the best but if i have to talk about who the best is TODAY im goin with:
1. Pau Gasol: very versatile big who can shoot, put it on the floor, play facing and back to the basket, plays good defense, great passer and rebounder, and most important he wins games which cant be said 4 most players.
2. Tim Duncan: the guy i feel is the best PF to ever play the game. He has size and intangibles and just makes plays. He's been a winner all his career and though his team fell short last year he's still 1 of the best out there. Plays the center position equally as dominant and the PF position. He may not put up huge numbers buts he makes clutch plays and wins.
3.Dirk Nowitzki: the best most versatile scoring big man in the game today. The 7 footer has ridiculous range and excellent footwork. Nowitzki will probably go down as the best international player of all time when it is all said and done.
4. Al Jefferson: the guy has been playing very well since the KG trade but this season Jefferson was a flat out stud. Before his injury He was having the best season of any big man in the western conference. He would have been a sure shot all star even though he was playing on the cellar dweller timberwolves squad. Tenacious rebounder, potent scorer down low, and a defensive stalwart.
5. Kevin Garnett: He isnt the same guy he was a few years ago but he is still one of the best big men in the NBA. The intensity he brings is top notch and there arent many men like him in the league. He still has the mid range jumper and eats everything on the glass. KG is still intimidating on defense. He may not attack and score with the same nastiness he used to but thats becuase he is on a stacked team who doesnt need him to score.
Yea, that's what I meant by this post... It's about who's the best RIGHT now, not who's been the best over the last 5-10 years. If that was the case, Duncan and Garnett would be 1 and 2 on my list.
garnett is so underated on ur lists
4.Amare aka Stat
dirk gets the pass he played well
KG they say is a HOF stop it
CB4 is good for this list
Amare is 28ppg 10reb easy without that eye problem
Pau has no heart when he play against comp. ask KG
Al jeff is a beast
1) A'mare- will be 25/10 guy next season (if stays healthy) sky is the limit for him.
2)Al Jefferson-I don't like when every1 look at team stats, he is just amazing 23+11
3)Nowitzki- like to put him at 1spot but he is really poor rebounder and he will not be 26ppg scorer next season
4)Bosh-23+10, still 25 I think he still isn't in his prime
5)Duncan-he is top3 if not the best PF ever but NOW he is under 20/10 , but I still like him and his 4apg is also very good
1. Kevin Garnett
2. Dirk Nowitzki
3. Chris Bosh
4. LaMarcus Aldridge
5. David West
I left out Duncan, Amare, and Gasol because this is a PURE power forward list, in other words Duncan, Amare, and Gasol also play center.
in a few short years this will change dramatically with the upcoming potential of Anthony Randolph, Michael Beasely, Blake Griffin, Darrell Arthur, and so on.