With Arans new mock, I have many questions. Ill limit it to one. NORRIS COLE at 24 to the Thunder. Just dont understand why the Thunder would draft a pg in the first round, and if they did, is Norris Cole a first round pick??? Where does Aran and other draft sites get their info??? they can tell us anything and we buy it hook line and sinker....why wouldnt we...we arnt privy to the information that is avilable to them...Maybe he just doing an extreme change to keep people interested and he'll go back to something more conventional...but it would be nice to get a little info on what was his reasoning for these drastic changes.
I don't think Aran is putting enough time into these mocks. He certainly used to be amazing with mock drafts, but now I don't know what he's doing. He has Valanciunas and Nogueira in the 2012 mock, but they've yet to pull their names out. He also has Enes Kanter going number 1 for some reason. He also still has Charles Jenkins going undrafted when he could be a first rounder.
Technically, as we get this website free we aren't "buying" anything hook line and sinker and until the draft it's premature to overtly protest to the mock posted, especially given that this site has a reputation of trying to "hit home-runs", as their early placement of Derrick Williams in the top-3 showed this season in particular.
Kanter at #1?, Irving at #3?, T. Thompson at #6?, D. Morris at #14?, N. Cole at #24?, J. Butler at #59?, Valanciunas at......NOWHERE TO BE FOUND??
Maybe it's just me, but to say this latest mock draft has flaws would be a maaaajor understatement.
I think you are right, he is just changing it it keep people interested. He will go back to something that makes more sense once the draft comes. There is no way he keeps Norris Cole there on draft day.
also Bismack at 19 lol,also what the shit is Chandler Parsons good at other than rebounding and being an ok passer,Norris Cole sucks as well Gouedlock is a much better prospect,Jereme Richmond should be higher just due to his potential,and the Rockets dont need Darius Morris
Usually, I say NBADraft.net is way ahead of the curb on DX in terms of mock drafts, but after this morning, I might have to revoke that statement.
So I see Aran posted another CHARLES JENKINS article. Its like the 4th article hes posted on this guy....LOL...Aran still doesnt even have him in his Mock Draft...WTF....ARAN....if you are reading this....WHERE U AT DUDE??? I got sum serious????????????????????????????????
A kid is playing on Aran's computer!
nah i think Aran been having some cahcane
jonas valanciunas is going in his 2012 mock draft now
"jonas valanciunas is going in his 2012 mock draft now"
Valanciunas never said he's pulling out of the draft though. I haven't even heard rumors.
Guys, I think you are overreacting, as usual you bunch of South Park characters. While I agree that this mock seems to be radically different than any we have seen, I will try to address a few things in regards to certain situations. I have no insider info in this, but just trying to use common sense:
- The Draft is a few weeks away, and the points draught maybe caused him to want to get people talking. I actually doubt this one, but you all have to admit, without points, LIKE MY BRILLIANT MIND PREDICTED (sarcasm, sort of), their has been a lot less activity. Points do not mean everything, but they let you know who is responding to what, which is why I think they are really good for creating activity. More page views, more money, that seems to be how the interwebs works.
Now to actual Mock Draft concerns, rather than crazy theories, I will try and look into the mind of his A(i)rness:
- Let's get down to Valanciunas. I think he might pull out from the draft and wait until next year. I think his contract situation is maybe a little more uncertain than some have been reporting, and that he will be just as high of a pick come next year, in a draft devoid of Centers (Tyler Zeller, sorta Patric Young, and, uh, Tyler Zeller). I think it might not be to crazy to even see Lucas Nogueira pull out as well. Just a theory I have carried for a while and still have until that deadline passes.
- Norris Cole has been rumored to have really impressed and to have moved up too the late first round. That could mean the Thunder, not to mention, who says that the Thunder keep the 24th pick? I know there are probably better boom or bust prospects than Norris Cole available, but I think you guys might kind of be overthinking some of these late first round picks, the draft gets a lot more difficult to predict around than.
- Tristan Thompson to the Wizards is slightly perplexing, but hey, so was Ekpe Udoh to the Warriors last year. Also, maybe Washington will not keep the pick and deal it to someone who has their eyes on Tristan Thompson? Once again, stranger things have happened......
- I can not explain the Charles Jenkins thing. But again, the draft is a while away, and I know that sometimes people get left off of lists as oversights, not to mention this sight could indeed be having technical problems. I know it is blasphemy to say such a thing, but it could be true.
- People worried about where Biyombo will be selected need to chill. We have no idea where he will be selected, and much of the things on him are hearsay. Yes, his upside is well described, and the fact that at half time he could spread his arms, run and fly around the stadium would indeed make a number of teams happy. The other fact is, Ian Thorpe just compared him to Joel Anthony and his breakdown on him made it seem like this was a favorable comparison. Believe me, most teams do not want Joel Anthony starting at Center. The Heat have him there out of necessity, not because he is the perfect solution. At least he backed off the whole "Biyombo could be first pick" business, but as favorable of a review he gives Biyombo, he has an incredibly good chance of not wanting to be a guy you spend a lottery pick on. Anthony was afterall undrafted, anything he does is gravy. Not to mention, while the guy is great at blocking shots, his incredible lack of offense makes him a very poor starting Center. Better than any other Center the Heat have, but again, not a good thing. Keep that in mind, because even Ben Wallace had an adjustment to the NBA, and I do not think Biyombo is even Ben Wallace.
- In the second round, you are usually gambling on whoever you choose. If Chandler Parsons can rebound and pass well, than he is a good pick at #34. Luke Walton made a career with much of the same MO, and I think Chandler might be a better shooter.
- The Rockets could definitely use a back-up PG. They only have Lowry and Dragic on their line-up, and Dragic is in the last year of his contract. If they like Darius Morris, that could definitely be the pick, you usually want about 3 of every position on your team, not to mention Dragic could easily get shipped as Houston probably does not want to have to sign him to a 4-5 million dollar a year deal.
- You look at Derrick Williams being in their top 3, or even first, as "trying to hit a home run". I personally see insight. Just a different way of looking at it, because I guess I am kind of used to these guys being ahead of the curve more often than not.
- As much as I love Jimmy Butler, and hope he gets picked much higher, his draft range is incredibly spread out. There are often guys you see as locks for being picked at certain places who fall. Jimmy Butler is a personal favorite of mine, so I really hope this is not the case, and if he does I would think San Antonio would be the perfect spot to go too.
- I know many a site who never give reasons for their decisions, or give poor ones. This site usually not only gives reasons, but usually in very good detail. It takes a while, but the finished product is why we keep coming back.
- I think DX is ahead of the curb, as in they flipped over it an totalled there Big Wheel. Being ahead of the curve though, well, too each their own, but if I had to make a choice, I go with the site that is more interactive, more positive and better to the people who enjoy it, which is NBADraft.net. I do not hate on what DX does, I love certain parts of their site and as an information database. But, I find that the answer is always "go to the player profile", and that the player profile does not satisfy me, as much as the constant analysis of players on this site does.
I am sure answers will come, but I think you guys may be freaking out about something that will undoubtedly change drastically. Not to mention that maybe he does indeed have information we do not. He knew about Derrick Williams before anyone else said anything, he had Jared Sullinger #1 before Chad Ford started talking about it, he had Paul George high before anyone else did last year, too. Not only that, but when people were freaking out that Tristan Thompson was staying in school when this site had announced that he was going in the draft, we heard a lot of similar outrage about consumer trust, and than very few apologies or kudos when it turned out they were indeed ahead of the curve.
All I know is that I trust Enes Kanter over Bismack Biyombo, and this site makes much more sense in their views on this situation in my mind than the other site you all seem to be wanting to bring up. So, make your own mocks, that people think are crazy and ridiculous and have serious questions about, but I think Mock Drafts two weeks before the draft tend to always change much more drastically than people remember. We could be looking at other Mock Drafts and having many more questions about them in retrospect than this one. Not saying I completely agree with it, not saying I do not differ in thinking with some of the picks, but I am at least willing to wait for an explanation before freaking out.
thanx mikey..good stuff like always...I know how late first round picks can be gambles...just the noris cole thing caught my eye...I heard he has played well....and might be a late first rounder...still....24 to THUNDER is just an UGLY pick...as far as all the other stuff...its early...I know...Im more freakin out about the POINTS...that was awesome...need points back for this site BIG TIME....DX is ahead of the curve as far as word of mouth and main stream basketball views....thus it seems like they are more estsablished....but he makes some ludacris statements alot just to get press....plus overall I don't really like the format of that site...bottom line is the FOURM here is basically the best thing about the site...I dont even know who ARAN is....nor do many of the people who casually come here...he could tell us its snowing in July and most of us would believe him.
"Guys, I think you are overreacting"
Your post didn't have to be any longer than this. #minimalist
But, I said my piece and felt like I gave reasonable answers to some peoples questions at the time. Still, appreciate the minimalist approach, #jerk
Aran Smith is basically like Jonathan Givony, if he were a foot taller and did not talk about himself all of the time. Indeed, Aran keeps a low profile and he makes everything about basketball rather than just him being knowledgable about it, which he is. This was indeed, the first good NBA Draft site ever on the internet, and while I used to frequent it long before he built this incredibly formatted for communication message board, and points, I also guess I defend it due to the fact that I think it is a great place to interact with thoughts on the draft, rather than just having them be the end all be all.
Truly, Aran seems to actually care what people think about his product rather than caring what people think about him. If you have a question or suggestion, he is receptive rather than dismissive. Hence, the breakdown between those two sites. Both work incredibly hard, both bring us new information and new outlooks on things before we may have heard of them. If you want lists, DraftExpress has them, but I find they are in no way as well thought out as these lists. I apologize if Jonathan Givony hates me, but I just want to speak my mind on the difference between there and here. Saying that this site tries to hit home runs, well, I find that slightly insulting, as it does so no more than ANY draft site, DX and ESPN most definitely included.
I do not work here, I have had articles posted on the main page that I am proud of, and I love writing about basketball and have yet to find a better forum to do so. I think we are a community, and that NBADraft.net has made that possible. We get information, talk basketball, laugh at jokes and vent about issues on here (the last one is always best when it sticks to basketball), and I feel I have improved as a writer greatly since I started posting on here. Not only that, but I have seen many people improve immensely over time as well, which is fun too see. IggyNixon is much better now than he was a couple years ago, when he was still really good and respected, and I think he will just keep getting better with time. I can say that about a number of posters here, who I consider my contemporaries, even though I have never met them (except for NoMoney, who has been hiding behind a plant in my office 3 days waiting for the right time to jump out and yell "SPAGETT!"). So, I gave reasons for why I believe in this site more than some others. ESPN is not always right, but neither is DX and neither is this site. But, I remember the insight of this site more this year than any other site, because it was questioned and because it came true. The instances may be small, Derrick Williams being a top 3 pick and Tristan Thompson declaring, but what have the other sites told you that will 100% come true? Can't think of anything? Neither can I. Now, as far as Valanciunas is concerned, he may be a lotto lock, but weren't Motiejunas and Vesely last year? They decided to pull out of the draft. Just saying, stranger things have happened.
I am an idiot and I should not have called you a jerk, even though you were being a jerk. Why do you have to change your name? Not to mention your profile? It has-a me all screwed up-a!
How was I being a jerk?
You honestly think that I was -- or was trying -- insulting you in some way?
(Take a deep breath, every sentence from here-out begins with "I")
I only said that because your first point nailed exactly what I was thinking. I was referring to myself as a minimalist. I always read what you write and obviously you made a lot of great points but if I were you I would have stopped at "over-reacted". I think I have a reputation of being very tounge-in-cheek, and your affinity for writing large posts has always been a popular topic of harmless redicule. I didn't ever figure that I would have to explain this to you, as there wasn't -- nor has there ever been -- any offense intended towards you.
I know this is the Internet and non-verbal communication doesn't really translate, but when have I ever tried to insult somebody that didn't insult an entire group of people first?
Kanter at #1 is a disgrace to this website
I changed my name because somebody told me it was annoying them, and I mentioned to somebody else previously that my old account was banned because I was pretending to be a moderator.
It's all fun and games.
Well, you pretended really well. I thought you were one. Oh well. I did not know it was you and I get it, I agree, I was wrong. I was just got caught up with this entire De-Mockacle, and I did not know it was you, hence thinking it was someone who did not know me well enough to say anything about how much I write. Lesson learned on my behalf, sorry man. No beef at all, and you are right, things do not come across as well on the internet sometimes as it is in verbal communication, and this was the case in my behalf more than yours. No offense was taken once I knew it was you, and I did not get offended really in general, I guess I could not think of anything more clever and it came off slightly mean spirited.
But, thanks for trying to start something that never was kanyedabest, I appreciate it! I would be on teambloodycrumpet too, but I also try to not shoot first and ask questions later. I would think someone with Jay Cutler as their current avatar might have that philosophy as well.
I meant about the moderator thing and realized I was not clear. The other thing was a sincere apology. I hope it all goes together and such. But, I am now as confused as you are. That is why I did the whole pretending thing, because you said pretending to be a moderator, and that was what the first two sentences were referring too. You are cool as hell, I never meant to hurt you and just sent you a basket of Calla Lily's. I never indeed intended to argue with you and I am sorry if it ever seemed that way. Just, glad you are back to being NoMoney and hope this BloodyCrumpet deal was only a minor blip.
Than where did you go? Gosh, this is getting incredibly crazy.
You were dreaming and you didn't see anything. Also if you say anything, I will destroy you.
No apology necessary. I said something stupid, you decoded it differently than I intended. Then our roles were somewhat reversed.
This new account was supposed to be a breath of fresh air, but it's becoming somewhat problematic.
I think it is weird when anyone changes there name, even there picture. It is all good man, just glad it is all cool, it was very Inceptionesque. Honestly, it just taught me to be even more careful of what I say and when I choose to go after a person. With every change on here, it can completely change perception. I remember posters usually by history, and when that changes my mind gets blown. My deal and I never wanted it to get this way. Now I am going to listen to some Tween Wave and watch Crack Babies play Basketball.
I started this thread with a NORIS COLE comment...this afternoon Cole was projected at 24 to the Thunder which I thought was ATROCIOUS...he moved up 3 spots in less than 3 hours...He must be doing something right...LOL...while I admit he fits the Blazers need much better than than the Thunder, I still cant see it happening...If the Blazers do want to take a guard with their first round pick, I can't see them passing on Josh Selby or Nolan Smith. And a nice guard/forward in Tyler Honeycutt would still be available. I'm not hating on Noris Cole...I didnt know much about him b4 the NBA combine(which I watched all of) He definitely impressed me from what I saw...but this is a HUGE stretch by this Aran.