Who Should Minnesota pick #3 or later
Even though Minnesota is in line to have one of the top 2 picks, we all know the lottery doesn't always play by the rules. I really think that there is a 3 man draft (Wall, Evans, Cousins) followed by a bunch of Power Forwards. Great if your team needs a PF but Minnesota does not. The other players projected to be that early that are not PF's are Centers that are high risk (Whiteside) or doesn't impress me much (Aldrich). I haven't been that high on Wesley Johnson. Tell me who would you pick if Minnesota falls to the 3rd or 4th pick.
Lets see, they took two PGs last year, and an underiszed, bow legged 2 guard in Ellington. Jefferson and Love are their bigs...
The way the draft works (young players who are 2-3 years from even being ale to compete) put them in a tough spot. You have to take best available, which would be Favors. Love aint no star so who cares of stepping on his toes. Take Favors and hopefully he'll become a star. Really they have no choice.
Cousins or Aldrich would give them a starting center for a long time. Aldrich is more apt to be a heavy minute performer who anchors a defense from the moment he is drafted. Cousins has more upside, star-type upside so I'd lean that way. Minnesota has as little talent as anyone in the league, which is why I don't buy the they don't need a power forward argument. Teams coming off 15-63 should not approach a draft as a way to fill holes. What they have has failed, it is time to start over. If they think Favors is going to be a star and is a better prospect than Cousins (I think they should have their heads examined, but regardless) they should take him. Jefferson has been rumored to be dealt this summer anyway, and Love is not good enough to merit passing on a talent for a lesser player. He is probably going to be a guy who comes off the bench on a good team anyway (assuming he ever plays on a good team).
But, when your top two players already plays that same position can you really grab a third. Don't like a 3 PF starting lineup. I'm not a Love fan and unless we are getting a star proven player I don;t want to see Jefferson traded but I can't see them taking another PF with this current roster. Can Cousins really play the center in this league? Will his behavior become a sideshow? Alot of questions about his character. I think taking X. Henry would be a stretch but what do you think
Man if 1 more person mentions cole Aldrich...jeez
How many lanky white guys have to flop before we git tha picture. I mean, damn, just bein honest
Hey s2jepeka, your an idiot. Guys like Bogut and Bargnani are pretty good players last time I checked. So if you need a big man, just pass on Aldrich cuz he's a white guy? And then what, draft some pud like Hassan Whiteside instead?
I think Aldrich is a kinda guy who you know what you're getting. People aren't expecting him to be a 20 and 10 or even a 18 and 8 center, but if your team needs someone who can rebound and block shots, and is a NBA ready Aldrich is your guy, just because of those realistic expectations I don't think he'll disappoint. I mean there are plenty of teams who would love to have Joel Pryzbilla on their roster blocking shots in the middle, and Aldrich, in my opinion, has the potential to be a better player than Joel. I think 7 pts 7 rbs and 2 blocks per game in about 25 minutes is a very realistic scenario for Cole as a rookie.
Wesley Johnson wit no hesitation this guy is a freak athlete reminds me a lot of Tayshaun prince length wise and can make the big play defensively.
2010-2011 Starting Five
G Johnny Flynn
G Ricky Rubio
F Wesley Johnson
F Kevin Love
C/F Al Jefferson
6. Corey Brewer
Nothing like racial profiling athletes. Watch Aldrich play. He is not going to bust. He has legit center size, huge wingspan, solid in the post, decent shot at 15-17, and offers an undeniable presence in the middle defensively.
I am not really worried about any potential Cousins "sideshow." The guy is young and emotional, but he is passionate about basketball. He doesn't get surly because people get on him about not trying. He gets worked up over foul calls and non-calls. Occasionally, he barked at Calipari over play calls. That is basketball at every level. Letting his emotions get the best of him is something he will work on, but people grow up. Does a team want to build a squad that will one day compete for a title or not? If so, he should be the third pick for just about anyone.
Brandon Wright, Julian Wright, Sean Williams, Gerald Green, Kwame Brown, Jared Jeffries, Marcus Haislip,...lets not pretend race has anything to do with flopping, there are plenty of "lanky" players white and black that didn't work out
Here should be Minny's top 15 draft board IMO...(I'm skipping on guys I don't think they should/would draft almost regardless unless they drop a substantial amount)
1. Evan Turner- damn near perfect fit and he does it all. Get what we lost in Brandon Roy.
2. John Wall- Can't pass up on him after if Turner is gone.
3. DeMarcus Cousins- Need a physical center, hoping that he develops into someone who can play with Love or Jefferson
4. Wes Johnson- Next best wing, would be a solid fit.
5. Derrick Favors- Although he is a PF, his potential and physical presence is too much to pass up.
6. Aminu- can play the wing but more of a PF. A Josh Smith type player would always be a welcomed addition.
7. Cole Aldrich- A very good, solid center. Wouldn't mind grabbing him, but not with our 1st pick.
8. Xavier Henry- Love his stroke and his D. 3rd best wingman in the draft IMO. We need to get a wing in this draft.
9. Hassan Whiteside- Despite what some say, I love his potential. He has a nice frame to add significant weight. Def. worth a shot in the mid 1st.
10. James Anderson- Great 2 man who can play off the ball. A little bit like Rip Hamilton when coming off the screen.
11. Greg Monroe- He would be perfect for the triangle. Too good of a fit to pass up despite playing PF.
12. Donatas Motiejunas- Not really a fan of his for Minny, but if he drops, his combination of size and shooting ability would be nice in the triangle.
13. Jordan Crawford- I really hope we land this guy. Minny needs a scorer and he could turn out to the best in the class. PLEASE KAHN!!!
14. Damion James- Another solid wing who was tearing it up in the beginning of the season. Good size too.
15. Devin Ebanks- Too similar to Corey Brewer for my taste, but adding a great defender who plays the wing is always nice to add.
s2jepeka wrote, "they took two PGs last year, and ...."
Allow me to set the record straight. Minnesota drafted 4 point point guards and only one of them is on the team.
* Ricky Rubio stayed in Europe.
* Nick Calethes signed to play in Europe.
* Ty Lawson was traded the night of the draft to Denver.
Calethes was also traded to the Mavs
man wolves are bad,, what they need is a guy who can shoot the ball from 3... the best shooter in the first round is James Anderson so they better hope he falls to them with their 16 pick and with the second pick i say they take cousins... and have him hold down the center spot there...Turner turns the ball over way to many times and Minny needs all the possessions they can get... they should trade the 24 pick no one left would fit their team IMO.
The Wolves biggest hole is on the wing as they have no real outside scorer. Why taking Cousins when you got Jefferson and Love. Wesley Johnson may have less upside than Cousins or Favors but is more consistent and a much better fit fot the Wolves where he coule be the top outside scorer.
If Turner and Wall arent there, I would say maybe Wes Johnson or trade it. Alot of those guys mentioned just dont fit that well for our squad.
1. Cousins...he'd be a ok fit, but isnt he just like Al Jefferson...dont need his attitude.
2. Favors...Upside is cool, but the Twolves need guys who can play now, not take 3 years to get good then sign with somebody else.
3. Aldrich...We have plenty of athletically challenged big guys. Cole Aldrich will be a solid 8 ppg and 8 rpg which is nice, but not something the T wolves need. They have plenty of guys who are ok role players, they need difference makers.
4. Whiteside...probably the most likely pick if we dont get top 2 pick, I dont know much about him, but I hate the word potential. But the Wolves need a legit Center. I wouldnt like the pick though.
A guy I would really like is Ekpe Udoh...not with the 1st pick, but with the mid 1st rounder they have, I think Udoh would fit brilliantly, as a long athletic post who can play at the high post...while Jefferson commands the low post.
Dream draft for the T pups:
1. Evan Turner
2. Ekpe Udoh
3. Devin Ebanks
2nd round: Dont really care cuz they all go to Europe and disapear anyways. MAybe Terrico White or Brackins would be cool.