WHO COULD GET BOTH THE 1ST AND 2ND PICKS IN THIS YEAR'S DRAFT?
For the sake of dreaming, are there any teams that have the possibility of getting the 1st and 2nd picks in the coming draft? I think only a couple of teams have that possibility: (This excludes the possibilities of traded players and draft picks between teams, of which make great rumors but are more often than not just that....rumors)
1) Minnesota- Their own pick (obviously) and also a pick acquired from Denver via Charlotte. Now I know this pick was lotto protected when Denver got it, but my understanding is that it became unprotected when Denver shipped it on to Minnesota (If anyone knows for certain let me know, I'm still looking into the matter)
The next two are EXTREME long shots to get both the 1st and 2nd pick but still fun to mention:
2) Utah- New York's CERTAIN lottery pick (haha) and their own. This was more feasible in the 1st half of the year when Utah was struggling, but now they seem to have acquired a strong foothold on a playoff spot in the West.
3) OKC- Their own pick if they miss the playoffs and Phoenix's unprotected selection. This scenario can only happen if both OKC AND Phoenix miss the playoffs.........an event so unlikely it is almost laughable.
There are several other teams with a mathematical chance to get both picks (i.e. NJ) but their chances are based on the premise of Dallas (or another top team) missing the playoffs....so enough said there, it ain't gonna happen.
Finally, from this fan's perspective, it would be the most fun if the top pick (unquestionably UK's John Wall) fell into the laps of one of the following teams:
1) NJ- Yes they are simply awful this year, but having BOTH a young franchise C (Lopez) and a young franchise PG (both of which are of good character) is a GREAT start.
2) LAC- Assuming Donald Sterling does NOT hire Isiah Thomas (I cannot stress that point enough), it would be fun to watch three top young players (Wall, Griffin, & Gordon) along with a high-potential project (DeAndre Jordan)
3) Sac- A year ago I would not have considered them as a good place for John Wall to land, but I am warming up to Tyreke Evan's game, and they have a young SF Omar Casspi and a pair of young solid big men Hawes and Thompson.
4) OKC- Yes I know they already have Westbrook, but they could move him off the ball and use him as a spark-plug at the 2. The chemistry of getting Wall would be messy (along with a possible playoff spot this year), but the allure of watching Durant, Westbrook, Green, Harden, Ibaka & Wall is interesting to think about.
i think the pick mn gets is top 12 protected, n the other is top 16 protected (the utah one)
did i miss something or did both denver and utah somehow become lottery teams?
Utah has NY's pick no matter where it lands.....and Denver isnt a lottery team.....Denver got a first round selection from Charlotte one year ago and then traded it on to Minnesota.....and Charlotte is a borderline lottery team
Yeah, Utah "NewYork" pick is unprotected while the other Minny pick is lottery protected
i hope either minnesota, detroit, or indiana gets wall... they all deserve it the most... especially indy.... he is EXACTLY what they need...