There are some nice 6'4" Combo-Guards headed for the NBA Draft, at some point.
Has anyone seen any of these kids play? If so, who do you like?
Willie Warren needs another year of college, I believe his inconsistant play, failure to lead a fairly talented OU team and OU's probable failure to make the NCAA tournament makes me think he could fall out of the 1st round if he declares after this year. The 2nd coming of Ben Gordon??? not quite...He could play his way back into the mid to late first with another year of college and a OU run in the NCAA tournament, but in 2010 he could be a late 1st or drop out of the 1st all together.
I've seen all 6 of those players play quite a bit.
I'm really not high on combo guards. I think E'Twaun Moore is the most capable of being a successful PG in the pros. That doesn't mean he is the best player or best prospect though.
I would rank them in this order:
1. Aubrey Coleman- physical guard who can do a bunch of everything. Excellent Defender
2. D. Jones- Scary scorer. Can get his shot off anytime. Gets good lift on his jumpshot. Physically ready for the pros. Upside?...probably not a lot.
3. Willie Warren- takes too many bad shots. I'm not sure he can be a PG in the pros.
4. E'Twaun Moore- will his athleticism hold him back? I doubt he will enter the 2010 draft.
5. Jerome Dyson- pretty athletic even after that knee injury, not a solid shooter though so how can he really benefit an nba team?
6. Austin Freeman- hasn't really shown me much. He won't enter the 2010 draft. Not sure he is nba caliber. With that said his shooting %'s are off the charts this season. Last season he didn't shoot well. Must be a hard worker.
Watch out for Dominique Jones. He seems like a Randy Foye type to me, but he's looking more and more like a Tyreke Evans type player.
I haven't see him play, but looking at this video I would say so.
yeah I remembered when that happened last season.
Every game I've seen this season Coleman has competed hard & seemed to have a good attitude.
1. Aubrey Coleman- Explosive scorer that can rebound and defend. His deep jumpshot isn't all there, but is fearless to the rim. Probably a little smaller that 6'-4". Has a bit of a temper (stepped on Chase Budinger's face last year and was suspended).
2. D. Jones- This dude and Jeremy Hazell of Seton Hall can straight light it up. Really showed an improved jumper. Scores against top competition in the Big East. Real question will be can he defend at the next level. Reminds me of Jermaine Taylor.
3. Willie Warren- Inconsistent. He seems to be lost without the Griffen brothers. Takes really bad shots, not as good a ball handler as I thought. Explosive and probably has the most potential.
4. E'Twaun Moore- Good team player. Nice jump shot. Not as explosive as other guys but seems to understand the game.
5. Jerome Dyson- This guy is my sleeper draft pick. He's a real smart player. Deceivingly athletic. Made Texas guards look pretty bad a few games ago. Nice mid-range game.
6. Austin Freeman- Dude can shoot the ball and is huge (like 230 lbs). He looks like a linebacker. His athleticism isn't that great, but he also seems to always be at the right place for open jumpers. Not sure if he can carry around that weight in the NBA.
To me its:
1. Willie Warren---I think he'll be a 1st or 2nd option scorer off the bench.
2. Dominique Jones--- Tyreke Evans 2.0 or Randy Foye 2.0?? Either way, he's a starter level player to me.
3. Aubrey Coleman--- He's good all around, but I think he's a less efficient scorer than Jones and he doesn't possess Warren's scoring potential.
4. Jerome Dyson--- He could be a poor man's LeAndro Barbosa at best. But he seems more likely to be a player that has to fight to make it in the NBA. He seems like a overseas player or D-Leaguer.
5. E'Twaun Moore--- I don't like him as an NBA prospect very much. He could be a Flip Murray type if all goes perfect. That seems to be a stretch. He seems like the perfect overseas player.
6. Austin Freeman-- I don't see him as a prospect either. He is a good shooter and has post-up potential, but I think he's too slow and lacking in athleticism to put pressure on the D and to defend other wings. Overseas player to me.
If I were an NBA GM and I was in need of Shooting Guard and Willie Warren, Xavier Henry, and Dominique Jones were my choices and say I had the 14th pick. I would take Dominique Jones over Warren and Henry. What else does Jones have to prove in the Big East in order to be a 1st round pick?? Average 30 a game for the rest of the season? No. The guy is ready. What I like most about him is he can get to the line, doesn't shoot the 3 too much (anything over 6 is too much), and he can just flat out score. I don't like that floater/tear drop he has he forces it too much, but he will improve upon that. Also, he can pass the ball not a ball hog.
I remember the face stomp. the first time someoen drew a charge on me i stepped on his chest, no one has tried it since. As Charles Barkley once said "If someone tried to draw a charge on me, I would kill them". Gotta love chuck.