In my opinion this game serves as one of the premier opportunities to evaluate potential NBA draft talent of the young 2009/2010 season. A ton of questions will be answered tonight:
1. Is UNC overrated? Can a backcourt led by Larry Drew keep pace with the two lightning quick offensive guards of UK
2. Are Wall/Bledsoe officially ready to step up against premier competition, and will guard penetration be effective against a UNC frontline teaming with height and looking to rebound after being demolished by the 'Cuse
3. Which frontcourt truly has the better potential NBA talent Patterson/Cousins vs Thompson/Davis/ The Wear brothers
4. Which coach will get the victory and gain ammunition for living room recruiting with the 2011 Class.
5. Even though it is early, the winner of this game could be setting themselves up for a legitimate run at a #1 tournament seed
This is one of the early intriguing match ups with a ton of meaning on many levels. First, from an individual assessment level premier potential lottery front court players will be in direct competition against one another, a scouts dream, a real game situation with tournament type intensity. Second, we get a chance to evaluate two potential title contenders, both are elite recruiting bases, have great coaches, and talent. In a contrast of styles Calipari's up tempo offense will be tested by Williams and his structured sets and mass substitutions and clock management. Third, as both of these teams should finish at or near the top of their respective conferences this game will be a prime opportunity for the NCAA to get a cross conference comparison to rank conference strength for the end of the season bracketology. Finally, but maybe the most important we have the opportunity to watch a potential superstar and #1 overall selection, John Wall, test his game against a national caliber program with Hall Of Fame coach in waiting Roy Williams throwing every possible defense at Wall to try and shut him down. Williams who is familiar with ultra fast pg's after coaching Lawson, may have some unique insights with regard to slowing tempo and containing Wall. Which will rise to the top, the tactics of the wise coach, or the undeniable talent of the hoop prodigy?
In summary for an early season game the ramifications are huge, millions of draft dollars in draft position, prime recruits, and tournament seeding could be influenced. A college hoop fans early season dream come true.
all i know is that i am going watch this game with my boyz cbs
dont forget uk has orton on the bench as well.. doesnt do awhole lot but neither does the wear twins
1. I think both teams are overrated and this is coming from a UNC fan. UK's defense gave up 92 points to Sam Houston and UNC's backcourt is inconsistant to say the least. One night Larry Drew looks like DJ Augustin another he looks like Quentin Thomas. I think he will have to put up a DJ Augustin effort for UNC to pull out a win.
2. I also think that Wall and Bledsoe are a tad overrated and could actually have trouble with UNC's defensive guards. The one thing Larry Drew has been consistant at is his defensive pressure and he actuall went head to head with John Wall in high school and got the better of him. Ginyard has been known as a lockdown defender. Now grant it that was Wall's junior year, but Bledsoe and Wall combined average 8 turnovers a game against pressure not near UNC's caliber.
3. I think UNC's frontline is going to give them fits. Demarcus Cousins if he put his mind to it would be the best player on the floor, but he puts no effort into defense. Patterson is going to have to carry the load for them to pull out a win and last season Davis gave him all he could handle. In fact Davis dunked on him one play.
4. Don't really think it will affect recruiting that much. Calipari and Williams go after different type of guys. UNC already has a stud in James McAdoo coming in next season and a sharp shooter in PJ Hairston.
5. Unless both teams suddenly start playing to their potential, I don't see either of them as number 1 seeds.
In my biased opinion UNC will pull this out 82-76. :)
get serious no contest yet until Davis gets better! Kentucky gets it in a blowout. I mean surely if Cuse can beat NC KU can.
Surely if Stanford can take UK into overtime UNC can beat them. You get serious. Your logic is flawed.
uhh...lemons, did u watch unc kill msu again?