Wiggins could be top pick in 2014.

OhCanada-
OhCanada-'s picture
Wiggins could be top pick in 2014.

MUbballfan
MUbballfan's picture
Could be? Will be. Just how

Could be? Will be.

Just how good is Andrew Wiggins? Well, an NBA head scout recently told me Wiggins would be the No. 1 pick today.

Wiggins is far from a finished project, but his reclassification back to his original class today sent reverberations throughout the high school world, as well as the collegiate and NBA game.

“If he stays on course, he will be the No. 1 pick in the 2014 NBA draft,” the scout said. “He would start on any NBA team today without a current All-Star at the small forward position.”

Now, future success is far from a guarantee no matter how talented the player is, but Wiggins appears to be on a path very few have traveled. With the hoopla over whether he would reclassify behind us, let’s look at Wiggins the basketball player.

[+] Enlarge
Andrew ShurtleffAndrew Wiggins' ability to score from anywhere on the court helped elevate him to the No. 1 player in the 2013 class.
Andrew Wiggins

Along with former ESPN 100 No. 1 player Jabari Parker, the 6-foot-7 Wiggins is the most talented player in high school basketball. Speaking of Parker, his drop in ranking to No. 2 has less to do with his talent or upside and more about just how dominant Wiggins has been in his career. Wiggins would have jumped over past No. 1 recruits such as Nerlens Noel, Shabazz Muhammad, Austin Rivers, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and Andre Drummond. The only former elite prospect he wouldn’t have leapfrogged was this year’s No. 1 overall pick, Anthony Davis.

He is an incredible athlete with a pair of broad shoulders and superior leaping ability, which allows him to perform several highlight dunks, as well as block shots on defense. His offensive skill has progressed significantly over the past few years, as he can now nail 3-pointers in transition or in the half-court set in addition to attacking the basket

His elevation and high release make it tough to defend his jumper, as he routinely drills shots from all over the court with defenders draped all over him.

When Wiggins creeps inside the arc, he possesses a snappy dribble pull-up and he’s virtually impossible to defend when he puts the ball on the deck. Defenders are limited to either fouling or hoping the shot is off target. Where Wiggins truly excels is in the open court, where he uses his sprinter speed, fluid movement and outstanding body control to get to the basket and finish with authority.

Wiggins is so good offensively, coaches can choose to run plays for him or just give him the ball and let him create on his own. When the shot clock is winding down, he’s certainly the kind of guy whose hands you want with the ball in. At the prestigious Nike EYBL this summer, he shot 60 percent from the field in 20 games, showing a willingness to not settle for the long ball despite shooting an impressive 37 percent from behind the arc. Wiggins also went to his post-up game to maintain a high percentage.

Like any other player at this level, Wiggins has his weaknesses and will need to minimize his deficiencies to maximize his potential.

For a guy who is so explosive and aggressive as a scorer, he ends up at the foul line quite often. This is an area in which he must improve to round out his game. I have seen him make good passes, but his ability to read defenses needs work, as he faces double-teams throughout the contest. That's an advanced concept that will come in time. For now, he just needs to make sure he values the ball.

With continued work, he should make improvements to overcome the few limitations in his game.

And no matter where he winds up, Wiggins should be the most impactful freshman in college hoops next year. His recruiting is now ratcheted up a notch with favorites Kentucky and Florida State being joined by newcomers Ohio State, Kansas and UNC in the running for his services.

BenchWarmer
To sum up: wiggins is pretty

To sum up: wiggins is pretty good :)

3--6
nice article

To sum up: Wiggins is the best prospect out of HS since lebron.

and plays like him with less passing skills

IndianaBasketball
IndianaBasketball's picture
IF he has less passing

IF he has less passing skills, he doesn't play like LeBron at all since that's arguably LeBron's best trait.

3--6
how about hops. how about IQ.

how about hops. how about IQ. how about the way they attack the hoop. how about their style of play. how about being decent shooters but not settling. how about a lil post game. how about their quickness. how about their ball handling. how about their defense.

he gets compared to KD and kobe also. i say he is MUCH closer to lbj

omphalos
omphalos's picture
I think his best comparison

I think his best comparison is Michael Jordan to be honest; he's athletic without being built like a tank, he can handle the ball but doesn't pound the rock, he posts up, he defends, he's a good shooter who hasn't fallen in love with the long ball, he gets great elevation on his mid-range, he has a scoring mentality.

He's too efficient to be Kobe, too physical to be Durant and not enough of a playmaker to be Lebron; the only player who fits that template is Jordan.

Obviously a poor man's Jordan, but still!

joecheck88
joecheck88's picture
He wouldn't have leap frogged

He wouldn't have leap frogged Anthony Davis?? I think Wiggins is the best prospect since possibly Oden. Anthony Davis is good but I don't know if he will ever be an all star or anything. Wiggins certainly looks like he is a franchise player. Am I just higher on Wiggins than I should be?

kobyz
kobyz's picture
i think Jabari Parker is more

i think Jabari Parker is more talanted, yes for now Wiggins is better cause he play with non stop motor, elite aggressiveness, he is practical and clever but Jabari game has more greatness to it, his skills are much more advanced and unique and he can dominate the game in a unusual way and special quality so to me he has more potential as NBA player in the future.

joecheck88
joecheck88's picture
I think Jabari could be the

I think Jabari could be the better college player. It would be close but he could dominate as a mismatch 4 easily in college similar to what Beasley did. I think where he loses Wiggins in terms of NBA potential is in the athleticism department. Jabari is a good athlete but Wiggins is elite. Wiggins should be able to create his own shot much easier in the NBA than Parker can. Not saying Parker won't be able to but that he will have to work much harder than Wiggins to do so. I could see Parker being a Paul Pierce type player but Paul is rare. You don't see many average athletes dominate the way he could whereas most other great players have that insane athleticism. Kobe, Jordan, Lebron.

kobyz
kobyz's picture
i think Jabari could make a

i think Jabari could make a much more winning team in college than what Beasley did, cause he is much more winner, smart and determined player with better attention to details.
in terms of the NBA, athleticism is not necessarily the only thing that count(who is the better player Vince Carter or Paul Pierce?) Jabari with his skills, smart, poise, craftiness, he could also be hige level, comfortable and consistent scorer, moreover i think Jabari with his composure and offensive game could be much better type of a go to guy who make his teamates better.

joecheck88
joecheck88's picture
I agree with you. Could

I agree with you. Could Parker be better than Wiggins in the league? Of course but I wouldn't call it strong odds he is. The Paul Pierce vs Vince Carter is close. Paul didn't win a championship until Garbett and Allen and Vince consistently led his teams to the playoff like Paul did. The point I'm making is, for every normal NBA athlete that is a great player like Paul Pierce there are 10 great players that have that athleticism to go with it. It makes the game easier having those physical qualities. Parker could be better but the odds are that Eighins will be the better pro.

Hitster
Hitster's picture
Wiggins is perhaps the most

Wiggins is perhaps the most hyped player since LeBron and Oden but I would not put Parker that far behind, he'd have been the number one choice going into his college freshman year in most drafts apart from the ones featuring the guys mentioned above. KD likewise was an elite prospect from day one - eg when he came within two years of being drafted.

The only other guy who had so much hype might have been Rubio when he first appeared. There have been several franchise level guys drafted in the last 10 years for example CP3, Deron Williams, Dwight Howard, Blake Griifin, D-Rose, Melo, Westbrook, K-Love to name a few plus potential franchise level guys like DMC, John Wall, Anthony Davis for example but at a year or more away from the draft they were not considered superstars.

Is there any other good comparisions for Wiggins apart from Scotty Pippen which Aran has used, would his upside being something like a peak T-Mac be anywhere near the mark?

RSS: Syndicate content