Why did nobody want Barnes? The Barnesbot 2000

TheArtistPaysth...
TheArtistPaysthePrice's picture
Why did nobody want Barnes? The Barnesbot 2000

Charlotte decided to stay put and take MKG even though no matter what happened they could have flipped (2 for 4) with Cleveland and still got Barnes and another first rounder at least.

Charlotte must have believed that if they let the Cavs draft Beal then Washington would have took MGK. I think they were terrified with taking Barnes. Brian Windhorts article states that the Cav's were either going to take Beal, MKG or Waitors with the fourth pick. It was reported that Beal bettered Barnes in their combined workout in Cleveland. Barnes said he didn't do well in his Cleveland workout in an interview also. Washington doesnt need a small forward at all and I wonder were they had Waitors. Beal is a superior pick for them by far but I wonder where they had Waitors.

He fell to GSW and they wanted a small forward so badly, so that was perfect right. Except word is they also wanted Waitors. They got a steal in my opinion but GSW didnt seem all that enthused.

Sacramento passed and rightly so. Portland also but I would rather have Barnes at 4 million than Batum at 10 million.

He tested incredible athleticallyand has a great skill set offensively but is a robot.

Chris Grant gets the benefit of doubt everytime. We will all see how this plays out in the future but for now I am excited. I hated the Tristan Thompson pick last year and now I love it. Only Klay Thompson (probably) or Marshon Brooks (maybe), will be prospects the Cavs could have considered last year that will be better than Tristan Thompson. Everyone not just lay basketball people thought the same.

The Cav's didin't have one true center or shooting guard on their whole roster, not one. Boobie Gibson (6'2 mediorge athlete) at the 2 and Manny Harris ( who I like but cant lock down a position pg/sg and makes like 200,000). Thompson, Varajao and Samardo Samuels are all power forwards who are forced to masquerade as centers. Erden is going overseas (good ridden) and Parker is retiring. Everybody wanted Barnes or T.Rob. They have Casspi and Walton under contracts next year that aren't going anywhere and want to sign Gee. Word is Phoenix wants him and they could be legitimately pi$$ed about this Waitors thing. However they have Dudley and he and Gee are different versions of the same guy. Robison would have forced Thompson to play more center than they otherwise what and made Andy play all of his minutes at center. I loved it when I found out Grant only wanted to rookies. Why would a team so young want 4 rookies. Byron Scott ussually hates rookies anyway. He's hard on guys and Waitors has the thick skin to handle it and Zeller has the maturity and ability to not f up enough to get in the doghouse. B. Scott's doghouse is a bad place to be. It set Hickson (low IQ, raised by grandparents and not used to tough abrasive coaching) career back years.

The most important aspect is Waitors is a G. We have a lot of nice, great, endearing guys on this team. WE NEEDED A DOG, NOT A CAT, A DAWG.Waitors is that. That KG/Westbrook intimidating presence, where the guys on the other team dont want to go out for drinks with you. I wanted the Cavs to get Monte Ellis for the same reason. Those guys always come with some volatile character concerns. Ellis and Waitors game is oddly similar to that of Byron Scott.

One thing that Cleveland picked up from Lebron was his ability to use both hands equally. Irving, Thompson, Waitors and Zellers fit that bill. They can all finish with either hand and you would think most guys in the League could but that ain't the case. Beal fit that bill also but I would rather have Waitors and Zeller than just Beal (Charlotte must have wanted the whole chabang).

I'm glad Cavs went the way they did.

bloodshy
bloodshy's picture
They Loved MKG

The actual trade offered by the Cavs was the #4, #24, #33 and #34 to move up from #4 to #2 (per ESPN analysts at the draft). Basically, Charlotte considered the gap between Barnes, Robinson, etc. to be greater than the value of picks 24, 33 and 34. I disagree. Then again, I had Barnes at #2 overall on my draft board, so I just see things differently than Charlotte. In 2-3 years we'll know who was right I 'spose.

TheArtistPaysth...
TheArtistPaysthePrice's picture
That may have been a bad call for Charlotte

Because the difference in 24, 33,34 is anyone that got picked after 17 from Dallas. Then again maybe not because if the Cav's get from Zeller what Charlotte got from the much improved Mullen's this year then the Cav's will be happy. Maybe Charlotte was right, we'll see. I would rather have Waitors and Zeller than just Beal or MKG.

sheltwon3
sheltwon3's picture
Bobcats picks will wind up

Bobcats picks will wind up being terrible compared to need and also who they let slip away. I think Charlotte wants to suck for two more drafts though.

Jlv2012
Because the draft would have turned into a

barnesburner if he was picked in the top 5.

surve
surve's picture
This is my take on it. Its

This is my take on it. Its not that nobody wanted Barnes...because Drummond slipped even further. There was a lot of slippage in this draft. Draft position doesnt tell us anything about the future, only what a team was thinking at the time.

Its not that Cleveland went the way they did as their first option because had Charlotte taken Beal, Cleveland wouldve traded up for him. If Cleveland made the promise to Waiters...it was a conditional promise. They likely said if Charlotte didnt select Beal for them then they would choose Waiters. It just really looked like Cleveland wants to establish their backcourt and have a suitable partner for Irving.

See the thing is, these GM's and scouts have a love affair with players. If T-Rob didnt go to Charlotte, then he wasnt going to Washington or Cleveland due to team needs, but that would clear the way for Sac to get him, which they were ready to select him if that scenario presented itself.

Portland was taking Lillard regardless....I had Lillard going to Portland for weeks all the way up til last night because I really thought Charlotte was going to draft Beal for Cleveland.

What happened was, MJ did not want to be under the pressure of taking a risky guy, so they took MKG. If you go back and read where I said it and some others said it months ago that MKG is the safest guy in the draft, even moreso than Davis. He is the most bust-proof player out there. Now, the thing about him is, he may never be a star, not much bigger than Gerald Wallace....not bad, but just as there were players who had better careers that were in the same draft as Wallace (Gasol, Joe Johnson, Tony Parker) there will be players better than MKG. We can almost guarantee there will be a player in this draft that will be better than MKG, but we dont know who that player will be....with MKG you know you are getting a guy that will be a good player for a long time.

So Charlotte charted the course of the draft with their selection of MKG over Beal. Cleveland continued to alter the course by picking Waiters. That allowed Robinson to fall to Sac..and as I mentioned, Lillard was going to Portland (I believe he had a promise too, just not publicized). This allowed the perfect marriage proposal of Barnes to GSW because he was what they needed and that was one of the teams he wanted to play for because of their market.

Toronto was going with a guard, regardless, Waiters was their guy, since he was gone, they went with the guy they favored the most with Ross. Most people rated Ross behind Beal and ahead of Rivers....its just that Waiters was the wild card. All these events caused Drummond to slip....Detroit was clearly going to take Henson had Drummond not fell in their lap. This caused Henson to drop another 5 spots I believe and I dont believe Milwaukee had a need for Henson but felt he was the best available and likely had him on their list if he made it to them.

All of this to say that once one team goes left, it throws the order off course and it goes further off course with each subsequent pick. In the war room their have there lists, but sometimes....they have to make a decision on the fly which I am sure OKC did with PJIII and Chicago did with Teague....two players figured to be gone by that time.

The Cavs were really in love with Beal, and had Charlotte complied, Beal wouldve been a Cavalier...and Barnes couldve very easily been a Wizard.

niQ
niQ's picture
Believe me.

The Raptors wanted Barnes =(

RSS: Syndicate content