Who Should The Suns Pick Up In The 2011 NBA Draft

SunsFan89
Who Should The Suns Pick Up In The 2011 NBA Draft

Ok the Suns missed the playoffs with an 40-42 record. Last summer they lost star PF Amare Stoudemire and didn't really replace him. They have aging veterans Steve Nash and Grant Hill. What do you think would be a pick for the Suns @ 13 in the 2011 NBA Draft?

Suns biggest needs PF and SG.

YSUFan10
YSUFan10's picture
I think the Suns

I think the Suns should either draft Marcus Morris, Tristian Thompson, or Kenneth Faired with the 13th pick. Hopefully Gani Lawal can give Phoenix some decent minutes next year, i'm really curious to see what he can bring.

OhCanada-
OhCanada-'s picture
Why do they need a PF? Isnt

Why do they need a PF? Isnt Channing Frye proven yet? One of the best stretch bigs in the league.

I like them taking Jimmer and playing some small ball back there.Honeycutt is another nice option. In all BPA Leonard, Jones, Marcus morris are all good picks.

Please dont say Biyambo.

NYCarolina
NYCarolina's picture
If your the Suns, I'd call

If your the Suns, I'd call Toronto and ask for the lotto pick for Steve Nash ( throw in some other things) and then I'd move Aaron Brooks as well.

Steve Nash and Jared Dudley to Toronto for Amir Johnson, Sonny Weems, 2011 1st round pick (TOR) and 2013 1st round pick (MIA)

Aaron Brooks to Charlotte for D.J. Augustine ( Jordan love scorers, see if he can bite on this deal)

Draft

• 3rd pick- Terrance Jones ( Love his game, can play both position. Underrated, don't know how he dropped)
  • 13th pick- Tristan Thompson ( Low post body, kinda similar to Ed Davis last year)

OhCanada-
OhCanada-'s picture
They might get Terrence Jones

They might get Terrence Jones at 13 if Morris, Leonard, and Fredette impress.

NYCarolina
NYCarolina's picture
I don't know. I love Jones'

I don't know. I love Jones' game. He can shoot, rebound and he's a better slasher then many people think. While he doesn't have Lamar Odom's passing, he can rebound well at the next level. I think once we go back and watch tapes and he gets in those workouts and show how much heart he truly has, his stock will go right back up.

The UnderKanter
Jimmer, Jordan Hamilton, Tristan Thompson

I would normally Alec Burks hands down, but there are many lottery teams that need his skill set. Utah, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Warriors to name a few. So he will likely be gone by the 13th pick so that is out of the question.

After that, I go to 3 players that have a much better chance of being available. Jimmer Fredette, Tristan Thompson, and Jordan Hamilton. The reason why I did not mention Marcus Morris is because he is very similar to Channing Frye so similar that I don't think those two could play well together. Same with Motiejunas. As for his brother, Markieff, I think Tristan is better, and you obviously want to go for the best player at the position you need. Kenneth Faried, I love his rebounding and motor but he is also very offensively. If you're looking for a replacement to STAT, then you need someone that can bring it both defensively and offensively, not just defensively. And I also think that Tristan is better than Faried.

Now, to rate the 3 I previously mentioned. To me the PG spot is very necessary to fulfill because we all know Steve Nash is going to retire and someone needs to take his place when that happens. I am not convinced that Aaron Brooks is the replacement. He had his chance in Houston and blew it. When Kyle Lowry took over the starting job while he was out with injury, he played very well. Then once Brooks came back, instead of going in there and proving that the starting job is his, he sat and whined. I don't know about you, but I don't want a crybaby starting. Maybe you can give him another chance, but if I were you I would look to find someone else. And that would be Jimmer. He already has the shooting ability that Steve Nash has, and its probably even better than Nash's is. He still needs to pass better and play better defense, but we also know Steve Nash is probably one of best mentors in the game today other than Jason Kidd. So as long Jimmer is willing to learn and improve his game, which he most certainly is because he is a hard worker, then I would definitely consider taking Jimmer with the 13th pick. And PG is one the most important positions in the NBA. We've seen how team with virtually no PG's have struggled. Take Minny and Sacramento. Both of those teams have good talent and should do well in the season but the one area they are both lacking is PG and look at where they finish year in and year out. Lottery, but with a much better percentage of winning it all. (Irving, Knight, and Walker will most likely be gone by the 13th pick so they are all out of the question, which leaves Jimmer as the next best candidate)

So I would first consider Jimmer, if not available than I would have to look at Jordan Hamilton (the next best SG) or Tristan Thompson (the next best PF after Motie and Derrick Williams (if you consider him a PF) I would first consider Jordan Hamilton because Frye is not too bad and can probably stay at PF next year and the Suns will be fine. Hopefully in 2012 the Suns can land someone like James McAdoo, John Henson, or Rakeem Christmas. (There is no way Pheonix is getting a top 5 pick in 2012, so Anthony Davis and Jared Sullinger are both out of the question)

So, in order, I would consider taking Jimmer Fredette, Jordan Hamilton and last but not least Tristan Thompson.

dmo21
dmo21's picture
suns pick

Suns do not need a big man at all. At power forward they have Frye, Warrick, and Lawal and at center they have Gortat and Lopez. All of these guys are under contract and is a pretty solid big man rotation. A point guard for the future would probably be the best bet as Brooks' contract has ended and I think a guy like Jimmer would be good for Nash to mold as they have some similarities. A sg/sf wouldn't be a bad option either as they are also aging there and Childress didn't play up to expectations and Dudley isn't that great of a starter but a good role player.

providencefriars1
providencefriars1's picture
I've been hearing that the

I've been hearing that the Suns are looking at getting Jordan Hamilton which I think will be a good pick for them I could also see them getting a big like Faried or Thompson or maybe Monitejunas if he falls.

aamir543
aamir543's picture
Somthing that probably won't happen

I have a crazy and rsky idea. Right now they are stuck in no man's land. Their two best players have one year at most left and they have a late lottery pick in a bad draft. I say trade up to the top five by using steve mash as bait. I know he can still get you 15 and 10, but I feel they have a Point for the future in Aaron Brooks, and if they get another quality peice back in the Nash deal (someone like Omri Caspi, or Michael Beasley), and get Derrick Williams, or Irving, or even Kanter, they are on the right track back to dominance.

omphalos
omphalos's picture
I don't think it's worth

I don't think it's worth moving up in this draft unless you get the 1st overall pick and can get Irving to replace Nash, but none of those teams who are rebuilding would give that away, the 1st/2nd picks are the only really valuable ones in this draft.

RSS: Syndicate content