Who do you think will be the cinderella team will be in the 2011-2012 ncaa tournament?

YSUFan10
YSUFan10's picture
Who do you think will be the cinderella team will be in the 2011-2012 ncaa tournament?

My cinderella team for the upcoming ncaa tournament is the Akron University Zips. I believe that Akron can come out of the OVC again as repeat champs because they return star bigman in Zeke Marshall, a 7'0 Center with lots of length and defensive ability. Returning to Akron is also freshman point guard Alex Abreu who put 6.5 ppg and 3.5 apg, his stats aren't off the charts, but he will have a key role for the Zips this year. Not to mention, Akron also returns skilled bigman and leading scorer in Nikola Cvetinovic. For me, those guys will be Akron's big 3 for the upcoming season. But the Zips also return 2 more key players in Brett McClanahan and Quincy Diggs. I feel that Diggs will have a decently more important role this upcoming season, but McClanahan will have a similar season as far as statistics, but being a senior he will have to be more of a leader and assume responsibility late in games for scoring. But Akron does lose some key factors in last seasons success; such as their undersized scoring guard Darryl Roberts, and starting point guard Steve McNees, along with their rugged forward in Brett McKnight. The Zips return about 4 or 5 bench players from last season, that will all play a bit larger roles this season as well. As far as recruiting goes Akron brings in SF Reggie McAdams, who i believe should be able to carry some of the scoring load for the Zips. Last season Akron was an extremely deep team as far as balanced scoring, but this years team isn't as deep, but is just as talented. The Zips will open some eyes this year.

Akron is my cinderella team, so who is yours?

providencefriars1
providencefriars1's picture
Why not right. They played a

Why not right. They played a very good Notre Dame team tough in the tourney last year and Zeke Marshall has so much potential. One note though they play in the MAC not Ohio Valley or at least they were a MAC team last year.

I had like Miami before the injuries to Johnson and Gamble so I will go with New Mexico as my sleeper cinderella team. Drew Gordon is one of the most underrated bigs in the country and they return most of their talent from last year. Fairfield is another team that could surprise people with former Boston College star Rakim Sanders.

YSUFan10
YSUFan10's picture
yes

yes i agree, i used to like BC before Sanders transferred and Jackson left, and Derek Needham and Rakim Sanders would make a heck of a back court. And thanks for the correction.

abcdefghijkl
My Cinderella Team- UNC Asheville

I'm going to take a chance on this one. UNC Asheville will have to repeat as conference champs to get back to the big dance, but the Bulldogs return the dynamic duo in the backcourt of JP Primm and Matt Dickey. Primm and Dickey were able to hold their own against some of the nation's elite programs. The Bulldogs do lose John Williams but they also return their 3 other leading scorers and 4 of 5 starters. They'll have to win the conference tournament, which is not an easy task for them, but I think if they make it to the tournament, with their experience and their backcourts ability to score the basketball, they may be able to sneak past one of those higher seeded teams. Let's not forget they played Pittsburgh tough in the first half of that second round game, only trailing by 5 at the half. I'm not saying that they'll get out of the first round which they probably won't and I don't expect them to, but I do think that it's possible this squad may be able to stay in games with very good teams.

JNixon
JNixon's picture
Iona, Creighton, or Belmont

Iona, Creighton, or Belmont will be very good sleeper teams this year.

jeff416
I agree with Belmont, they

I agree with Belmont, they should be very good this year.

RUDEBOY_
RUDEBOY_'s picture
I dont know if you can

I dont know if you can consider Mississippi State a sleeper team...They have tons of Talent and tons of Problems...They could miss the Tournament or they could Reach the Elite 8...

Miami could be a sleeper team...So could Detroit,Holman is the most underrated big man in the nation..But their success will depends on how much McCallum has improved....

xavier328
xavier328's picture
Iona and Vandy...i dont know

Iona and Vandy...i dont know they(Vandy) count as a cinderella because they have alot of talent on that team i wouldnt be surprise if they make it to the final four.

TaylorCondrin
TaylorCondrin's picture
dont sleep on UCSB..orlando

dont sleep on UCSB..orlando johnson is special

NowitzkiFan41
Belmont

I also agree with Belmont. They should surprise.

aamir543
aamir543's picture
We will forget everry year,

We will forget everry year, but you can never count out Butler.

RSS: Syndicate content