Which of the current nba guys from 2006-2014 would've skipped college if they could?

WhiteKD35
Which of the current nba guys from 2006-2014 would've skipped college if they could?

Who do you think would have went straight to nba if there wasn't the 1 year rule?

I personally think:

John Wall, Derrick Rose, Kevin Durant, Oden, Lance Stephenson, Wiggins, Tyreke, Chris Walker..

JordanC20
DeMarcus Cousins, Marcus

DeMarcus Cousins, Marcus Smart, Julius Randle

Windy City Assassin
WhiteKD35

The window is very wide but I will do my homework for you. Just wait on it...

Windy City Assassin
Didn't forget!

• Javaris Crittenton
  • Daequan Cook
  • Kevin Durant
  • Thaddeus Young
  • Paul Harris
  • Vernon Macklin
  • Derrick Caracter
  • Greg Oden

• Derrick Rose
  • O.J. Mayo
  • Eric Gordon
  • Bill Walker
  • Donte Greene
  • DeAndre Jordan
  • Kevin Love

• Brandon Jennings
  • Tyreke Evans
  • Jrue Holiday
  • DeMar DeRozan
  • Scotty Hopson
  • Al-Farouq Aminu
  • Devin Ebanks
  • Greg Monroe
  • B.J. Mullens

• John Wall
  • Kenny Boynton
  • Xavier Henry
  • Lance Stephenson
  • John Henson
  • Renardo Sidney
  • Derrick Favors
  • DeMarcus Cousins

• Kyrie Irving
  • Josh Selby
  • Brandon Knight
  • Will Barton
  • Harrison Barnes
  • Jereme Richmond
  • Tobias Harris
  • C.J. Leslie
  • Perry Jones III
  • Fab Melo

• Tony Wroten
  • Austin Rivers
  • Bradley Beal
  • Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
  • LeBryan Nash
  • LaQuinton Ross
  • Anthony Davis
  • Quincy Miller
  • James Michael McAdoo
  • Andre Drummond

• Archie Goodwin
  • Ricardo Ledo
  • Rodney Purvis
  • Shabazz Muhammad
  • Kyle Anderson
  • Alex Poythress
  • Anthony Bennett
  • Nerlens Noel
  • Isaiah Austin
  • DaJuan Coleman

• Andrew Harrison
  • Aaron Harrison
  • Andrew Wiggins
  • Jabari Parker
  • James Young
  • Wayne Seldon
  • Julius Randle
  • Aaron Gordon
  • Chris Walker

• Emmanuel Mudiay
  • Kelly Oubre
  • Stanley Johnson
  • Trey Lyles
  • Chris McCullough
  • Jahlil Okafor
  • Myles Turner
  • Cliff Alexander
  • Karl Towns

Windy City Assassin
Addition

• Michael Beasley
jaymen
James young ,derrick rose, Ruessll westbrook ,michael beasley

Kevin durant

Jayhawks2011
Josh Selby

Not even in the league anymore, but Josh Selby would've left after high school.

almost any of UK's top tier one and dones. Anthony Davis, Wall, Cousins, Rose

Wetalkinboutpractice
Wetalkinboutpractice's picture
Rose...

Derrick Rose was a Memphis Tiger.

Also OJ Mayo and Michael Beasley for sure would skipped out on the NCAA.

strobox88
Zach LaVine and Dion Waiters

Zach LaVine and Dion Waiters (two guys who didn't even start on their college teams but entered the draft after their freshman seasons).

Austin Rivers and Shabazz Muhammad definitely would have made the jump as well.

Malcolmx
Malcolmx's picture
Dion Waiters did two years in

Dion Waiters did two years in school.

strobox88
Figured that out after it

Figured that out after it would let me edit my post. My bad.

imAboutDatAction
imAboutDatAction's picture
lol waiters wasn't one and

lol waiters wasn't one and done.

Lavine didnt have the hype he had coming out of HS. the reason he's leaving this year is due to the hype he generated earlier in season with his athletcism. he wouldnt be in position to be selected out of HS.

strobox88
lol read my reply

lol read my reply above.

That's not incredibly sound. I'm pretty sure scouts would have seen his potential in draft workouts. Hype isn't the only thing a HS player has coming into the league. The athleticism and shooting ability would have put him on notice. Whether or not he would be a lottery pick is arguable, but being drafted, is almost a certainty.

imAboutDatAction
Lavine was the 44th ranked

Lavine was the 44th ranked recruit coming out of HS. 4 star recruit. scouts didnt see his great upside in HS, or else he would've been ranked higher.

the UCLA platform gave him a chance to show the scouts his elite athletcism and good shooting stroke.

strobox88
Yes, 44th as in a top 100

Yes, 44th as in a top 100 recruit. Like I said before, draft workouts would have given scouts the opportunity to realize his shooting and athleticism. LaVine just didn't all of a sudden become a lottery pick just because he came off the bench for UCLA showcasing his skills intermittenly this past year, the talent was there, and I believe scouts would have found out about it sooner rather than later.

imAboutDatAction
draft workouts arent enough.

draft workouts arent enough. people didnt see this in HS, so his game film wouldnt be so appealing.

and yes, at UCLA, he all of a sudden became a possible lottery pick. his hot start aginst non-conference play shot him up draft boards. people starting paying attention more. when he lost playing time as the year went on, scouts already saw the upside.

coming out of HS nobody saw it in him. he came in ranked too low and had no buzz. he was simply not in position to get drafted out of HS.

strobox88
I see what you're saying but

I see what you're saying but I disagree with the notion you seem to be alluring to in that he would have had no chance to make it. Draft workouts can be enough. There are players every year with relatively no draft stock (fringe second round to undrafted) that impress during the combine. Sometimes they get drafted, sometimes they don't. If you got potential like LaVine, you should get drafted. I'll say no more about this.

imAboutDatAction
those fringe 2nd rounders who

those fringe 2nd rounders who improve their stock have game film against college opponents that put them on the radar. Lavine didnt have that. he wasnt on anybody's radar coming out of HS. the workouts wouldnt be enough for someone like him at the time.

prophetmeir
Probally 92 percent of kids

Probally 92 percent of kids that went to kentucky

Jester87
Jester87's picture
2006 class, it's probably the

2006 class, it's probably the easiest one, because that's when the rule was introduced and it was a routine question druing interviews with HS prospect. Also how early the players committed to a program gives a clue on whether they wanted to go to college or not.

Definitely Oden. I remember in 2005 there were talks about him being the surefire 1st overall pick after his junior year and many writers and other people asking for a change in the rules to let him declare. Obviously it was never a real thing, but I'm pretty sure he would've declared after his senior year of high school if rules had allowed that, though he wasn't that quick to enter the draft after his freshman season at Ohio State and released some interviews saying he was think about coming back, but nobody really gave much importance to them.

Not so sure about Durant, as far as I remember he always considered college and committed pretty early to Texas. One never knows, but I think he would've gone to college anyway.

Probably Brandan Wright, though I remember he said the age limit was a good thing in an interview. Probably Paul Harris, while he said he wasn't ready, there were questions whether he would've been eligible to play for Syracuse. I'm pretty sure Caracter would've skipped college, academic problems and he was totally overconfident on his ability. Also Thaddeus Young clearly said he would've tested the waters. Not sure about Javaris Crittenton. Guy was highly touted and a knucklehead, two elements you usually find on guys leaving too early, but he also was a very good student (yeah, I know it sounds strange, but he was).

2007: No questions about OJ Mayo. I have really no clue about Kevin Love, I'd say no, but it's just gut feeling. Eric Gordon said he would've considered leaving early without the one and done rule. Michael Beasley clearly stated he wouldn't have entered the draft out of high school unless he was the 1st pick, but I never believed that for one second. Rose would've definitely jumped out of high school, I remember there were talks about him considering to pull the Brandon Jennings before Brandon Jennings. I don't know about Bill Walker, probably the injury would've forced him to go to college. Anthony Randolph made it clear he would've tested the waters without the rule.

After that it becomes kind of a guessing game. I don't remember much about the 2008 class, except that Brandon Jennings didn't like school. I think John Wall and DeMarcus Cousins in 2009 would've entered the draft. Probably Lance Stephenson too. Not sure about Avery Bradley. It's tough for 2010 guys, Harrison Barnes was ranked #1 but he genuinely wanted to go to school. Sullinger could've been a lottery pick after his freshman season, but he decided to come back. Probably it was because he went to college and found out he liked it, but we don't know if would've left after high school had he had the chance to do so. I'm pretty sure Anthony Davis and Austin Rivers would've never gone to college without the one and done rule. Probably the same for Drummond. Shabazz and Noel would've likely enter the draft as high schoolers. It would be nice to find out what players would've left against any advice.

mikeyvthedon
mikeyvthedon's picture
Here is my list of predictions

My best guess at the players who would have gone prep to pros had the "one-and-done" or post grad rule never been instituted. Also, just because I have a class having more prep-to-pros does not make it a better class. Thinking of where the kids were at and the possible mind set towards going to the NBA. Again, just best guesses:

2006:

• Greg Oden (Who I believe would have gone first to Toronto)
  • Kevin Durant (Who I believe would have gone 2nd to Chicago)
  • Brandan Wright (No way he was ready, just could have seen it as a possibility)
  • Thaddeus Young
  • Derrick Caracter (Bet he would have done it)
  • Javaris Crittenton (Seemed like a probable candidate as well)
  • Daequan Cook (Probably someone who would have considered it)

2007:

• Derrick Rose (He was my favorite player coming out of that class. Again, imagining the lottery picks would more than likely be quite different, so do not know if Portland would still get #1, though if they did, they were in desperate need of a PG as well as a center)
  • Michael Beasley
  • OJ Mayo (Think this one is pretty much a certainity)
  • Kevin Love (Not a certainty, just could have completely seen Kevin bypassing college. Before the rule was instituted, there were talks of preps-to-pros)
  • Eric Gordon (Only a possibility, though he would have been a high draft pick)
  • Bill Walker (Know he spent a couple years at K-State, just think he would consider prep-to-pros)
  • DeAndre Jordan (More confident in his doing this than my last three choices before him)
  • Donte Greene (Guessing he would have considered it)

2008:

• Brandon Jennings (Absolutely)
  • Tyreke Evans
  • Greg Monroe (Bet he would have thought about it)
  • BJ Mullens
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Demar DeRozan
  • Al-Farouq Aminu (The skillset and size were definitely intriguing. Might have done it)
  • Scotty Hopson (Know he spent a while in college, just seems like a guy who might consider it)
  • Devin Ebanks (At least would consider it)
  • Ater Majok (His stock was high, lol. Might have been into it, who knows?)

2009:

• John Wall
  • Derrick Favors
  • Renardo Sidney
  • Lance Stephenson
  • DeMarcus Cousins
  • John Henson (So skinny, just could have been an upside pick)
  • Xavier Henry (Maybe?)

2010:

• Harrison Barnes (Smart kid, but am guessing he would have probably entered)
  • Jared Sullinger (Same deal)
  • Enes Kanter
  • Kyrie Irving (Maybe? Not sure he would have, though certainly possible)
  • Brandon Knight (Probably)
  • Josh Selby (Yeah, think this would have been a definite)
  • Tobias Harris (Maybe? Had just hurt himself, though seems like a possibility)
  • Perry Jones (Seems likely he would at the very least consider it)
  • CJ Leslie (Ditto)
  • Fab Melo (Am guessing he would have been a candidate)

2011:

• Anthony Davis (Man, would have been a shame for him to skip that year at Kentucky. This kid was that good, though)
  • Andre Drummond (Decided late, guessing he might have done it earlier had this been an option)
  • Austin Rivers (Seemed like all he was talking about was the NBA)
  • Brad Beal (Probably would have been an option)
  • James Michael McAdoo (Yep, this would have been something that made him a lottery pick far before he should have, or will be for that matter)
  • Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (Guessing he would have)
  • Quincy Miller (Even with the injury, think it would have been pretty likely)
  • Tony Wroten (Seems like he might have thought about it)
  • LeBryan Nash (Had some hype behind him)

2012 (Might have only been 3 or so, just giving more possibilities):

• Nerlens Noel (Probably)
  • Shabazz Muhammad (Definitely)
  • Ricardo Ledo (Seems like a better option than spending a year only playing in practice)
  • Steven Adams (Maybe? Thinking not, though could have happened)
  • Isaiah Austin (Huge mistake. Yet, their was definite interest)
  • Archie Goodwin (Looks like he might have)
  • DaJuan Coleman (Might have thought about it)
  • Anthony Bennett (I am not sure, though it could have been a possibility)
  • Alex Poythress (Maybe?)
  • Kaleb Tarczewski (Another possibility)

2013 (Thinking Joel Embiid heads to school. Even watching him at the Hoop Summit last year, guessing most scouts thought it would take him a while to get to where he eventually did in college):

• Andrew Wiggins (Yeah, guessing he would have)
  • Julius Randle (Probably)
  • Jabari Parker (If he had an option not to go to school, would he be even thinking about staying there right now? I am guessing no)
  • Aaron Gordon
  • Andrew Harrison
  • Aaron Harrison
  • Chris Walker (Probably would have. Guys were drooling over his athleticism and upside, overlooking how raw he really is)
  • James Young (Considers it)
  • Wayne Selden (Even with him staying, think he considers it)

2014:

• Jahlil Okafor (Openly questioned age limit, said he would have considered going right to the pros)
  • Emmanuel Mudiay (Seems likely he would have)
  • Cliff Alexander (Thinking he goes right to the league if he had the chance)
  • Stanley Johnson (With that body, thinking he would seriously think about it)
  • Kelly Oubre (Probably considers it strongly)
  • Karl Towns (At least thinks about it)
  • Trey Lyles (Ditto)
  • Chris McCullough (Seems like a guy who might think about it)
  • Myles Turner (The size, athleticism would get him buzz near the top. Think he would seriously considwe school even if this was an option, though)

Just some of the names who I think either would have gone prep-to-pros or strongly considered doing so.

Bill Walton's Knees
Bill Walton's Knees's picture
The only guy I feel like your

The only guy I feel like your missing is Kyle Anderson from the 2012 class. Was ranked number 2 by ESPN (although their player rankings aren't always the greatest) and was a do-it-all winner throughout his HS career. Doesn't hurt to have Bob Hurley call you the greatest player he's ever coached.

Despite all that, I couldn't see him sniffing the lottery. Definitely think he would've thought about it, though.

RSS: Syndicate content