What if these events from 1990's-2000's happened during today's social media era?

high floor
high floor's picture
What if these events from 1990's-2000's happened during today's social media era?

NBA Basketball related:

• MJ's early retirement in 93
  • Kobe Bryant assault case
  • Pacer's / Piston's Brawl in 2004 (Malice in the Palace)

Non-basketball related:

• OJ Simpson trial
  • Tonya Harding / Nancy Kerrigan olympic scandal
  • Chicago Cubs 2003 NLCS collapse (Steve Bartman)

*Some of these could have crashed the internet!

lakesideben
lakesideben's picture
Where were you moment.

I was in a college bar when the Pistons/Pacers fight happened. Everyone was watching it on the TV. Fights started breaking out all over in the bar that night. It reminded me of how the movie theater parking lot becomes a street racing track after a Fast and Furious movie lets out.

Chrispy
Chrispy's picture
I was in my apartment

I was in my apartment and drinking heavily. I started calling anyone and everyone I could think of to tell them to turn on the tv. One of the defining moments of my life sports-wise. I was 22... Ah, the good ol' days...

whiteflash
I'll always believe that

I'll always believe that Jordan's first retirement (and father's murder) were due to his gambling, and Stern forced him to retire before his transgressions got too big to hide. That would be MUCH harder go get away with today with social media, camera phones, TMZ, etc...

Chewy
Chewy's picture
Nancy

That whole Nancy Kerrigan hallway scene where shes yelling "WHYYYY?!?!" would be photoshopped so much today.

Heres a picture of Why Nancy riding down a slide. Heres a picture of Why Nancy waiting in line at the DVM ect ect. Just like the whole Sad Keanu picture or the little girl who is smiling while a house burns down in the back ground.

Choppy
Choppy's picture
...or crying Jordan.

...or crying Jordan.

Chewy
Chewy's picture
Also MJ

Remember when ESPN stopped reporting for a whole week and spent 24 hours talking about Brett Farve's retirement? Farve on Pardon the Interruption, Farve on Sportscenter, Farve on NFL Live, Farve on ect etc.

Remember when ESPN did it again 2 years later when Farve retired for a second time.

It would be like that for '93 MJ, but way way worse. Brian Windhorst has made his entire journalism career based off how well he can hold Lebron's jockstrap. ESPN for sure would have a personal "ESPN employee whose sole job is to follow and write about Michael." Hell they might hire a few.

SubZero
SubZero's picture
Some crazy Cubs fan

Some crazy Cubs fan definitely would've found Steve Bartman's address and phone number and done one of those dumb "you know what to do twitter" tweets

If Kobe's case happened in the social media era, I'm not sure he could've ever escaped it. It's so much easier to have your opinion seen and heard nowadays and there would've been a million people calling for his head and saying he's guilty without anything ever being proven

Even though I love being able to have highlights immediately from guys like @World_Wide_Wob and reporters tweeting out important things during interviews and press conferences and things like that, I wouldn't miss social media a bit if it just ceased to exist. I can't imagine how it must be being famous and having to look over your shoulder every minute of your life and wondering if someone had decided to try to ruin your reputation that day. Twitter is just one big echo chamber and does more harm than good in my opinion

frogman
Michael Jordan would be the

Michael Jordan would be the most hated man on earth if he played during the social media era. Lebron gets hated due to over-exposure and he is a likeable guy. MJ was a douche and with the exposure he would get it would be raining hate.

Ahkasi Clay
Ahkasi Clay's picture
Kobe rapes a little white girl

Kobe

#MeToo

mowesten
What about Magic Johnson and

What about Magic Johnson and the announcement that he had HIV, and the ensuing hysteria that led to a lot of the precautions surrounding blood on unform/body, etc., that are still in practice today. I remember a few NBA players were vocal about it and wonder how that entire thing would play out had twitter and social media existed then.

RSS: Syndicate content