I set my alarm clock and sat through 8 hours of NBA combine, where nothing really exciting happened... to be quite frank... I didn't really have my hopes up too much because the event is traditionally methodical and slow. This year was no different.
Heres what I picked up
1) Tomas Satoransky, Tyler Zeller, and Jeffery Taylor were the only 3 players at the combine that had shorter wingspans than their height in shoes (t-rex arms)
2) Kendall Marshall, Andrew Nicholson, and Jared Sullinger were the 3 least athletic players in my eye. Marshall couldn't jump, Nicholson looked goofy and uncoordinated in the athletics testing and Sullinger was extremely slow and unagile.
3) Nicholson on the other hand was a knockdown shooter in all of his shooting drills. He's very crafty and kind of reminds me of Zach Randolph in the way that he plays below the rim but can score in the paint rather impressively.
4) Jae Crowder measured a bit better than he did at Portsmouth. He's a legit 6'6'' 240 and was also pure cash in all of the shooting drills. However, he's not long at all and doesn't have any handles. With his incredible passion and intangibles I think he'll make a great pickup in the latter part of the 2nd round.
5) Jared Cunningham and Meyers Leonard are the two biggest risers. Cunningham measured 6'5'' with inexistent body fat and he looked explosive throughout the combine. Has the same body as Russell Westbrook. Leonard is no joke 7'1'' 250 and built real well. Interested to see how he tested athletically.
6) I think Jeremy Lamb hurt himself the most. He measured in rather short (thought hed be 6'6'' in shoes) and lean (179 lbs) and his interviews were absolutely pathetic. Plus, he didnt participate on day 1.
7) Dion Waiters is rising too, 6'4'' 220, he seems like he could be a OJ Mayo or poor man's James Harden type in a few years off the bench.
8) I think Terrence Jones helped himself too, he played solid defense on Royce White 1 on 1 and measured quite impressively. Hes big and skilled. I think he could be like an Al Harrington/Thaddeus Young type at the next level.
9) William Buford sucked. He looked out of shape, and the least talented amongst the 2's...Doron Lamb wrecked him a few times.
10) Speaking of Doron Lamb he looked to be the best amongst the 2's at the combine. He played really well and is definitely a starter at the next level, think Cuttino Mobley/Voshon Leonard.
10) Royce White had the widest hands at the draft, oh and Kevin Jones tied Marquis Teague for the shortest hands... thats weird, I know
11) Quincy Miller and Tony Wroten are probably the two worst shooters in the draft amongst shooting guards and small forwards. Neither could make a shot to save their souls.
12) Wish they had given a little bit of love to Drew Gordon... he barely got any play, they were busy riding Perry Jones and John Henson all afternoon
Quincy Miller isn't that bad a shooter, he is quite good, he just had a bad showing
Quincy Millers size was the biggest surprise to me, I thought he would be around 6'4.5 and was rounded up to 6'6 somehow, but he measured in as a legit 6'6, which is then somehow rounded up to around 6'8.
what in the &$#%#&@! are you talking about
I meant Darius Miller... My bad...