The NBA really needs to consider adding a 1 on 1 tournament to All-Star weekend. Most of the events are already boring so imagine how captivating it would be to add a 1 on 1 tournament. I personally want to see a Kobe vs. CP3, Kevin Durant vs. Carmelo Anthony, Jamal Crawford vs. Uncle Drew, and DWade vs. LeBron. To make it fair for smaller player their should be a no post ups allowed(who does that in a 1 on 1 game anyways?) so LeBron can't bully a guy like KD every time. Who else thinks they should add this to All-Star weekend? I would pay money to see two of the nastiest dribblers Jamal Crawford and Uncle Drew go at it. It should be bracket style like a real tournament for the bragging of who's the best 1 on 1 player in the league. I want to see if Kobe can back his talk of being the "best" 1 on 1 player ever
Nice idea but didn't T-Mac just say that no one plays 1 on 1 in the NBA.
I doubt that someone like Monta, Jennings or let alone Bron would like to be embarassed 1 on 1?
I don't think you'll find players who like to get in if Bron or other Superstars don't want to be in the Slam Dunk Contest...
As much as I respect TMac their are ISO plays and Jamal Crawford has made a living off of shaking and baking his man, LeBron is doing us a disservice by not entering the dunk contest. But it's obvious All-Star weekend is getting dull so I think adding new events would spark interest again. It's probably a pipe dream but I would love to see this happen
I don't think many players would wanna sign up to that just to protect their egos. Bryant didn't wanna play Irving 1 on 1 just for that reason. Nobody wants to be shown up. All the other events focus on 1 skill of a basketball player, so its not as bad losing to someone who may be a better dunker than you. But in 1 on 1, it would sting a lot more.
I was embarassed for the league. I had personally talked a bunch of my sportier type friends who usually watch a lot of hockey into getting together and watching this and it was a horrible disappointment. I was so upset I wrote this letter to David Stern, but in the end I couldn`t find a more specific place to send it other than NBA.com, to which I recieved no reply.
Hey gents like I said in that text I am trying to put together a list of reccomendations to send to Stern. This is just a rough copy.
Dear David Stern,
With the former glitz and glamour of All-Star weekend having fizzled to an all-time low this year, and following a sad declining trend of disappointment, as a huge lifetime fan I humbly submit to you some terrific new ideas to resuscitate and restore the aura of the holy shrine of professional sports all-star weekends.
How to make the dunk contest and the all-star game for that matter, have a renaissance next year:
Events don’t need to be cancelled. They need to have more focus and get bigger (bigger names and bigger stakes).
1. Make all-star weekend in general count more for everyone. Make it charitable, make the whole weekend charitable! The winner of the dunk contest (the premier contest) should earn $1 million for the charity of their choice. Subsequently the three point contest etc would be worth $250, 000 each. Thursday night could hold a charity event with an auction, dinner/ gala style to kick it off. This gets celebrities and people involved and interested that wouldn’t normally care about basketball, but are either involved with or care about the charities involved.
2. Have the previous year’s dunk champ square off against 5 mysterious opponents who are not named ahead of time (one could possibly even be a celebrity). They are exposed and come out to themed entrance music, lights and video when it is their turn to dunk a la wrestling’s royal rumble. Example imagine how people would &$#%#&@! themselves if a Batman video came on the screen and talked as some exciting music started up and a fully suited Batman (Lebron) pulls up on a motor cycle with a side car with Robin (Wade) at his side. Your fans would be in fan-demonium! Oh wait a stretched limo pulls up and cheerleaders get out with a dressy Blake Griffin in suit and tie tear-aways? Dwight Howard repelling from the ceiling? Andre Drummond disguised as a mascot? Westbrook, Rose etc..you have plenty of compelling athletes still. Meanwhile have look a likes on the sidelines to keep an air of mystique. A second idea is you could even allow teams of two from different teams...example Dwight/ Jason Richardson, Lebron/ Dwade, Durant/ Westbrook, Griffin/ DeAndre Jordan etc, to compete in dunk teams.
3. In the actual all-star game adopt the MLB trick of giving the winning team home court advantage in the finals. This year’s game was actually pretty good, but this might make the players think of defence a little more.
4. NBA All-Star Weekend game shows! This would be a part of the Thursday night events or a week of events. Jeopardy, Family Feud (Team), Who wants to be a millionaire..etc. All for charity! Invite more familiar celebrities to be courtside all weekend!!! Bill Murray was a staple, Adam Sandler loves basketball, Chris Rock (give these guys some free tickets and accommodations if needed)? More charity will attract more stars, which means more fans and higher priced tickets sales.
5. (This one is admittedly iffy) Have a retro old-timers type game for the former players. People want to see old greats, rivalries, teammates and friendships having fun together again (Magic, Bird , MJ, Sir Charles etc). This is also a great way to have more of those faces around and to increase retro jersey sales. Hockey does this already and it’s well received. Every major sport has a strong sense of history and legends. The downside to this is possibly tainting vivid memories of these greats in their prime, but it would also be humanizing.
6. Bigger giveaways would hype these improvements beautifully. Like win box seats or front row seats, attend a charity dinner, watch the game with stars, and get a boatload of basketball paraphernalia to boot etc. These could be run right off the NBA site from the beginning of the season, increasing traffic.
7. Friday night combine D-League and Rookie Games. Can the the 12 best rookies overcome seasoned vets of the D-league? It would heighten competitiveness. It will help gauge talent better for fans and scouts alike. Televise the game for free streaming off the NBA site as well. Give a little tease to fans, who might want to pay to tune in online later on in the weekend.
8. Have a funnier and more professionally charismatic MC for the Saturday night other than Kenny Smith (sigh) and ditch interviewing the contestants before the dunks. Chris Rock doing play by play and humour with NBA analysts would be funny!
9. Bring H-O-R-S-E back and Bump maybe, but alternate these every other year with the skills competition. If for some insane reason the dunk contest ever does get cancelled, horse would seem the most obvious successor.
10. Ditch the intensity meter and other gimmicks because it takes away from the mystique of great athletes who often become legends as a result of magical showings in these events. A good magician doesn’t reveal their trick.
11. Keep Saturday night for only the main events. Spread things out more over the Friday and maybe even include Thursday or even an entire `All-Star Week``. A longer weekend or week for players might make them more relaxed and into the idea of participating in events.
12. Improve voting to a points based system that includes coaches and gm`s around the league voting for ten players first with the starters they vote for getting a 500, 000 pt head start and the 5 bench players 250, 000 point head start. with the two weeks leading up to the event have fans would be able to vote, if players they vote for (Linsanity might) surpasses other players starters or otherwise, they bump those players down. The last two spots will be picked by a special media representation panel. This invests everyone in the process. The funny thing here is if someone gets left off of the team then the media would have to attack/ argue amongst itself.
13. *I actually stole this idea from another writer. A three on three tournament, with teams of 4 flavoured by their former alma matters.
14. Guest referees. Can you say Will Ferrell or Magic Johnson?? both?
15. A funnier obstacle course with a basketball flavour. I don’t know where this would fit in, but it seems like it has potential.
16. The dunk contest format still needs tinkering. Forming a dunk line after the initial dunks would give dunkers a rest after either missing or landing a dunk. Only two attempts per dunk. Too many misses justs deflates excitement. Even a difficult dunk that is executed after many tries is tainted seemingly.
Will this all take a bigger investment? Of course but even if you break even. The increased buzz and interest will pay huge enough dividends. Most importantly to yourself it re-establishes your dominant influence/ mark on the game before you retire as perhaps the greatest sports commissioner ever.
A dunk contest where you need to do the same dunk, but try to do it best. Like the olympics. Its stupid putting a cupcake on the rim or wearing a cape. It really proves nothing. Sorry I just really hate the All Stars. Gimmie bball action that is meaningful. Maybe the losing team gets beheaded or something like the Mayans used to do? I bet the defense would really be exciting!
The idea of 1 on 1 has been suggested for years now ,but no super star will accept to go their ,you have to remember that player will first want a player almost as good as them ,i.e a super star vs super star b/c lebron or Kobe wwon't agree to go their to play against Monta or Jennings
that means you would want to convince 2 super stars to go against each other to make it really significant ,that will be tough job ,I would have to agree with T-Mac on this one ,this will be distant to the same fate of dunk contest ,a competition of role player trying to win something in their NBA career or young players trying to increase their popularity early
is to be at the end of the season. Period. Its a worthless, injury waiting to happen. Just think the weather would be better at the end of the playoffs. Have it in July. Its always so boring and meaningless anyways. Maybe more players would participate in the side events.
great ideas. one on one tournament. cba used to do that. and h o r s e would be fun to watch.