Vas Charalampopoulos 1997: 6-7 SF Given Highest Ever Scouting Potential Score For Any European Player Ever

European Baller
Vas Charalampopoulos 1997: 6-7 SF Given Highest Ever Scouting Potential Score For Any European Player Ever

I was just reading an article on Greek player Vassilis (or Vasileios) "Vas" Charalampopoulos. He was born in 1997 and is training with the Under-16 national team of Greece. He plays in Greece in one of the youth club systems, and is apparently negotiating with Barcelona to join their youth club.

It seems like he is already being offered a large contract by them, just at the age of 15.

Anyway, they said in Greece that they played a couple of test games, unofficial games where he was put into playing against teams from the second division of Greece, the A2. Keep in mind that this is not youth club basketball. But the professional league of Greece. The second division, in the promotion and relegation system.

If you want for a comparison, let's say it is something like comparing Euroleague to Eurocup, or NBA to ABA, in how you would compare the first division in Greece (Basket League), to the second division.

Anyway, they had some test games, where this 15 year old player was put into games against A2 teams, in order to have pro scouts from Spain and USA and also NCAA scouts from USA be able to watch him and analyze him. This was organized specially by the Greek Basketball Federation. I have never heard of that being done before.

So, the result of these test games was that Barca is already offering him a big contract, even though he is just 15, and that NCAA schools are already offering him scholarships. I heard for example that Duke and Ohio State offered him already - he is just 15.

The test score that he was given by the scouts after the test games, is according to Greek media, the highest potential score of any European player in history. As a comparison, he was given a 20 points higher score than Rubio and Saric got.

I will continue to update on him. And yes, he is also from the 97 Greek generation, the same as George Papagiannis.

ProudGrandpa
ProudGrandpa's picture
hmm

For a greek player, his potential may be high...but the length of his name is just average.

European Baller
For a greek player, his

For a greek player, his potential may be high...but the length of his name is just average.

Highest score of any European player ever, not just Greek player.

I checked his birth date, he is actually still 14, even though they said he was 15. So he is 14. He also made Greece's under-16 national team at age 13.

invalid
invalid's picture
Charalampopoulos ..

Charalampopoulos .. Charalampopoulos .. Charalampopoulos .. thats fun to say. tnx for the info man! Charalampopoulos.. Charalampopoulos..

TomShoe
TomShoe's picture
Good for you

raybeas
raybeas's picture
You must have worked

really hard to get Heath Ledger to put on all that make up and clap his hands just for your response to this post.

ZYHEHEWA
wow

wow

mikeyvthedon
mikeyvthedon's picture
European Baller

I know these scoring systems exist, but do you have any online documentation? Just honestly wondering and would appreciate it. Sounds like an intriguing prospect and I think we would all be interested in seeing what gave him this incredibly high potential score. Also, what do you personally think of Saric? Saw him in person and thought he was very versatile and has a lot of potential as an All-Around player. Know he has yet to do much at the highest level, but he did just turn 18 after all.

akhan786
akhan786's picture
Duke offered him?? I highly

Duke offered him??

I highly doubt that. Duke doesn't even offer American players until their Junior year.

If you tried to just throw Duke's or OSU's name in there just to make it seem like he really was amazing then I'm sorry you failed.

European Baller
It is a bit too early to tell

It is a bit too early to tell with Saric. He is great at his age level, but would not even get on the court in the Euroleague. I would give it another couple years with him at least.

I don't know why he Charampopoulos scored so high. All I know is that he is 14, he is a 6-7 SF and that he is training with the Greek under 16 national team. I really do not know much more.

But evidently he held his own, at the very least, in 3 games against A2 (Greek second division) teams. Those are professional players, and grown men. It is second division though, but then again Greek second division is the 3rd best second level in Europe, after the second levels of Italy and Spain.

I mean, this isn't easy for a 14 year old kid to do. Since he is 14 and is already 6-7, I am not sure if he will end up being a SF or PF. He was on Greece's under-16 team last year, but did not play that much, which is understandable as he was playing with and against players that were 2 years older than him.

They are saying that Barca wants to sign him for their youth club. It seems he is dominating in the Greek juniors, even though he should be in the lower level cadets, based on age. Cadets is 14-15 ages, and juniors is 16-18 ages.

Of course this is not a sure thing of great stardom. Greek player Kostas Kaimakoglou was said to have averaged 70 points a game in cadets and 60 points a game in juniors at one point. Today he is a very good Euroleague player, but he has not become some big star. So who knows.

European Baller
Duke offered him??I highly

Duke offered him??

I highly doubt that. Duke doesn't even offer American players until their Junior year.

If you tried to just throw Duke's or OSU's name in there just to make it seem like he really was amazing then I'm sorry you failed.

They said that Duke offered him. In case you do not understand it, he had these test games against A2 teams because he does not play in A2. He plays in a youth level. These were just test games, set up solely for scouts from Europe and USA to see him. Also, in Greece there is a rule that you cannot sign a full pro contract until you are age 18. Until then you are managed with an amateur contract. So he can simply choose to go to US high school if he wants, and commit to a NCAA school.

Paris Maragkos, another Greek player just did the same thing. The Greek federation is now encrouraging young Greek players to go play in US high school and NCAA instead of Greek youth systems. The reason is because all of the top Greek players are being totally ignored by the NBA, who simply refuses to draft them, so now they are being told to go to the US for high school and college instead - so that they do not get ignored.

So yes, they are exploring his options for AAU and NCAA in the US. They said that Duke and some others had scouts there and that they did offer him so he could commit later on, after he would select an AAU school.

You say they only offer juniors, well how many 9th graders in the US could hold their own against A2 players? I will say it is probably ZERO in the whole USA. So yeah, I am sure that this is not a normal high school kid. I have never seen him play, but a 15 year old SF playing against A2 players and supposedly doing fine, is a bit ridiculous.

He is like Papagiannis - he is a FREAK for his age. Not just in Greece, but anywhere. These test games are to give him options. So he can decide between taking a contract with Barca, or going to the US to play AAU and then moving on to somewhere like Ohio State or Duke. Or to wait and stay in Greece, but again, the Greek federation wants the players to go to the US now, since all of the top Greek players that stay in Greece are being ignored in the NBA draft. So they want the players to go to the US now.

I don't know what Duke does in international scouting, but they obviously do it - otherwise Lithuanian player Pocius would not have been with them. Ohio State has an international scouting in Europe also. Greek player Sarikopoulos played with them. He was originally in another school (UAB), but he was first offered by OSU. He decided to go to UAB instead. Then after he got an injury he transferred to OSU, who had originally offered him. I do not ever remember him playing high school in the US, so he was scouted in Greek youth systems, because all I remember was him playing with the youth club of Olympiacos.

Just for comparison, Saric was not considered by semi big European clubs until he was 15, when Baskonia wanted him. I've really never even heard of a 15 year old being on the want list of a big European club. I had to ask around to make sure it was even true, because it is so odd. It is also very odd that he was selected for Greece's under-16 team when he was 14. The only time I remember something like that in Greek basketball was when Giannakis was selected, I think to the national team at age 16. I seem to remember him also in the senior team of his club at age 13. I don't compare Papagiannis, because part of him playing in Peristeri at 14 was that he is 7 feet.

If there is a similar development curve as Giannakis then this is a very good prospect. Because Giannakis is considered one of the top 5 best European point guards of all time.

rhamnlacson
rhamnlacson's picture
ok

who are you and what have you done to the real european baller? kidding bro good post btw

mikeyvthedon
mikeyvthedon's picture
It is cool to be able to actually chat with you without......

You calling people names or saying something is BS. These guys certainly seem like intriguing youngsters for that next generation. Do you know anything about the scoring system that was used to rate Charalampopoulos? What is it rated out of? Also, do you have any opinion on who you feel would be the best NBA players for Euroleague? Just wondering.

I always have wanted to see what your top 10 rankings in accordance to who you feel would be the best players positionally amongst Euroleague/NBA players. I think a lot of people have great admiration for some of the best and finest international players. I know I thought Greece played magnificent basketball against the US in 2006.

The thing is, it is always difficult to predict if a guy is going to be a great player at such a young age, as even you mentioned. There probably is not another 9th grader who could play well against A2 competition, but there are probably some who will rapidly develop in the next few years. Do you feel that Saric is more than likely the best 1994 born player in the world, as Leo Westermann proclaimed during the Hoop Summit? If you had some other names to throw in, would love to hear them. Also, did you have a chance to see Andrew Wiggins yet? I know it has already been a year, but he played really well against Mario Hezonja in last years Jordan Brand International game, plus looked like the best player on the International team even as a 1995 born player and the youngest player in the game.

ZMINGSA
good

good

kngojc
kngojc's picture
No offense but... EuroBaller

No offense but... EuroBaller becoming a good poster??? When did this happen?

seniokas
seniokas's picture
Situation with Pocius is

Situation with Pocius is non-related to international scouting, he went to USA at the age of 15 and was going to Holderness high shool. Although , there might be a chance that his personall success with Lithuanian youth team back in the day played a part in his recruiting. Hovewer, there is absolutely no reason of using Pocius as an example of Duke's international scouting.

akhan786
akhan786's picture
Trust me...if Duke offered

Trust me...if Duke offered him...I would know.

What were the dates of these tests? Because I know for a fact that all 4 of Duke's primary recruiters (Wojo, Collins, Capel, and James) including Coach K have been in the states since the season ended.

I don't get how one of Duke's scouts could've made it to watch this kid.

Sorry if I came off a bit obnoxious, you just didn't provide a link so I wasn't sure if the offers from Duke were actually from a real report.

pohani komarac
Just for comparison, Saric

Just for comparison, Saric was not considered by semi big European clubs until he was 15, when Baskonia wanted him. I've really never even heard of a 15 year old being on the want list of a big European club. I had to ask around to make sure it was even true, because it is so odd

Sometimes I wonder where do you come up with such stuff? Potetial score? LOL

Dario Saric was hevily scouted at age of 12. He had ofers from all over europe at that age and when he was 15 he almost went to Caja Laboral for 3milion Euros, but his father turned down deal. I wrote few years ago on Interbasket net forum that Spanish clubs are "steling" kids from ex Yugoslavia wich leatter came to truth. And I metnioned Saric who was surounded by menagers and scouts since his childhood days. As for his potetial score...lol. You have realy wild imagination....Imo, Zeljko Obradovic the most trophy coach in euro history said it. He is most taleted european player that showed in last 10 years

As for his game, his new coach gave him ball in hands in last 3 games. Last night he scored 29 points with 10 boards 11 forced fouls and 47 valvoriation. He can play right away with seniors in Eurolegue, just not like he played under Androic 10min as corner filler

This kid what you are talking about is talented, but there is no need to make stuff from your mind.

OGWIKIBE
It is a bit too early to tell

It is a bit too early to tell with Saric.

NGWOLF
Is nice

Is nice

pohani komarac
Stefan Peno from Serbia born

Stefan Peno from Serbia born in 1997. singed last summer for Barcelona....there is no "special events" organised for some players to be scouted. you don't need this fake stuff. Scouting (to)young kids is normal evrhywhere in world. Spanish club's are bringing kids all over world this days, younger then this Greek kid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLS5oYGiwDk

Vuk Lazic born in Croatia, Vukovar 1998. is scouted since he was 9 years old and at age of 10 Real Madrid wantted him. But he chose Zagreb as his parents were promised to get job there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAk5xFA1SAA&feature=plcp&context=C4705835VDvjVQa1PpcFP7zw06JIGQitibZNYBQR7O3AF2dXo-VNs%3D

pohani komarac
one more add. Slovenian Luka

one more add. Slovenian Luka Doncic born in 1999. is alredy "star" and evrey club would like to bring him to his club. so no need for you to lie about that this Greek kid is youngest that has ofers from big clubs. Bosnian kid Nedim Djedovic 1997. born has already got NIKE sponsorship contract last year

http://www.eurohopes.com/news/1601/doncic-new-millenium-is-close/

but if you ask me all this is kind sick perversion thrownig and promoting some kids names that still are sevrel years away from gillette products

European Baller
Sometimes I wonder where do

Sometimes I wonder where do you come up with such stuff? Potetial score? LOL

Dario Saric was hevily scouted at age of 12. He had ofers from all over europe at that age and when he was 15 he almost went to Caja Laboral for 3milion Euros, but his father turned down deal. I wrote few years ago on Interbasket net forum that Spanish clubs are "steling" kids from ex Yugoslavia wich leatter came to truth. And I metnioned Saric who was surounded by menagers and scouts since his childhood days. As for his potetial score...lol. You have realy wild imagination....Imo, Zeljko Obradovic the most trophy coach in euro history said it. He is most taleted european player that showed in last 10 years

As for his game, his new coach gave him ball in hands in last 3 games. Last night he scored 29 points with 10 boards 11 forced fouls and 47 valvoriation. He can play right away with seniors in Eurolegue, just not like he played under Androic 10min as corner filler

This kid what you are talking about is talented, but there is no need to make stuff from your mind.

What is your problem?

pohani komarac
my problem? your lies to

my problem? your lies to promote one kid. People could belive you Vas is talented without your imagination created stuff like "potential score" or "youngest ever to get offer" that there was no player on so called "wannted list" by some big club. you don't need to lie to this people just so you could convice them Vas is talented

McDunkin
McDunkin's picture
(No subject)

McDunkin
McDunkin's picture
(No subject)

double post...but no gif to put here so ill just go now.....

raybeas
raybeas's picture
WOW

McDunkin's double-post post has a plus 4 (at this time). I wonder how he got so many points.

JunkYardDog
JunkYardDog's picture
pohani komarac is right on

pohani komarac is right on the fact that spanish club have always done that kind of moves with young (too young ...?) kids from all over the world (africa too).

I still remember this young (not so young) french player signing for real madrid.... he was supposed to be the futur at sg/sf for the french national team : samuel nadeau... 2 years ago a friend of mine (who was agent in france at that time) received a call from him. He was searching for a team in division 3 or 4 (national 1, 2) in alsace...

That's very difficult to really know how can developp a player in high school... and almost impossible in college (remember mikki moore over garnett ??? and all this HS generation of 00's : curry, chandler, miles, k.young, j.lang, l.smith, diop.....). You can say the same when you're playing professional at such a young age.

pohani komarac
Ibaka, Biyombo, Mirotic,

Ibaka, Biyombo, Mirotic, Scola, Splitter, Bojan Bogdandovic are some of most fameus cases, but there were as well tons of other cases like Dusan Bogdanovic, Rakocevic, Bubalo etc. who moved to Spain at very young age. Some of guys like Ibaka or Mirotic end playing for Spanish national team as their federation is useing this convice them to play for Spain. Specially Spanish federation is trying to fill gap at big position as generaly Spain is lacking of tall kids. Ar the moment there are like maybe 20-30 kids from all over world playing in Spanish yuth clubs. Some kids like Samb, Fall, Dip, Omeragic etc..acepted to play for Spain

As for High School and NCAA truth is there is some organisation lead by former euro players who played in US helping young kids move to US. Helping them with contacts etc. as system in Europe is very bad for those who wannt to play basketball and get education. Most kids who left to US are lower level prospects who are smart to know they won't end with big contracts but they still wannt to get educeted and play basketball. It's very rare that some high level prospects like Kanter go to US as they all, just like Enes get they money and kids like him usually are threted like "god" in their club. Statment that federation is encrouraging players to go in US because they get ignored by NBA is insane

European Baller
my problem? your lies to

my problem? your lies to promote one kid. People could belive you Vas is talented without your imagination created stuff like "potential score" or "youngest ever to get offer" that there was no player on so called "wannted list" by some big club. you don't need to lie to this people just so you could convice them Vas is talented

Like I said, what is your problem? Why do you falsely accuse me of lying?

European Baller
As for High School and NCAA

As for High School and NCAA truth is there is some organisation lead by former euro players who played in US helping young kids move to US. Helping them with contacts etc. as system in Europe is very bad for those who wannt to play basketball and get education. Most kids who left to US are lower level prospects who are smart to know they won't end with big contracts but they still wannt to get educeted and play basketball. It's very rare that some high level prospects like Kanter go to US as they all, just like Enes get they money and kids like him usually are threted like "god" in their club. Statment that federation is encrouraging players to go in US because they get ignored by NBA is insane

Stop falsely accusing me of lying.

rhamnlacson
rhamnlacson's picture
and

he is back welcome back european baller 1st a good post then a BS one hahaha

pohani komarac
http://www.youtube.com/watch?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wIRKfqk71GY

this is him at age of 14. very itresting skillset for a kid that tall. they say he should reach 6'10-6'11. kid is real deal. averaging 10pts 6rbs, 2 asists at u-16 championship....those are great nubers for kid year younger. only prospects like Rubio and Saric and this year Mazalin an Ulubay had better stats as first year junior

http://u16men.fibaeurope.com/en/cid_z8jOMILgHCsbXTL1wG4sq0.playerID_93076.compID_YUjW-7-FJ,kK9s431Lyr41.season_2012.roundID_8814.teamID_291.html

anyone intrested in him can check him at 5:10 PM CET

http://tv.lrytas.lt/live/

georgios papagiannis and domatas sabonis are two other itresting kids to folow

"Stop falsely accusing me of lying"

you were laying even about his birthday, he is born in january and you said he is still 14, but acually he was 15.

geothermal
booooooooom forum war,

booooooooom

forum war,

though, im leaning towards pohani komarac on this one, he is providing some links to support his statements,

pohani komarac
forum war i'm not in war...i

forum war

i'm not in war...i just don't like when somebody lies to promote something and make things up...like "ptential score", and even birthday

ad fact is this 2 1997. born kids are talented and don't need fake facts

this kid does have vey good stats, tough stats at such stage can also be factor of pree maturing, but it is very rare that at this stage where one year makes big difrence kid perorm like this

for sample rubio averaged around 11pt, 7rb, 3 asists. saric 12-5-2, valanciunas was averaging just 2,3 pts and 2,9 rbs...it tells you how big difrence can be at such age

anyway, for those itrested in folowing kids, 97. generation is probably one of best ever in europe and this 2 greek kids belong to the list, just like I said

besides this kid "Vas",Lovro Mazalin is averageing 17-8-4 at the moment, Turkish Okben Ulubay 11-6-2. Nedim Djedovic, Stefan Peno are some of very talented 97 born kids

http://u16men.fibaeurope.com/en/cid_z8jOMILgHCsbXTL1wG4sq0.pageID_LBWgm3WVHY6XVgO-jDW193.compID_YUjW-7-FJ,kK9s431Lyr41.season_2012.roundID_8817.html

European Baller
puhani &$#%#&@! YOU

puhani &$#%#&@! YOU

pohani komarac
still can't handle truth?

still can't handle truth? even when i'm likeing greek prospects? if you wannt i can give even more links to confirm you lied

i like this 97. greek generation, maybe next golden greek generation, and maybe they change fortune of greeks in nba, but they don't need your lies. respect bro!

ENOGSIWONdede
He is too young wasn't

He is too young wasn't Derrick Caracter and that scrub who plays for New Mexico St. or somewhere the two best 14 year old prospects ever?

European Baller
still can't handle truth?

still can't handle truth? even when i'm likeing greek prospects? if you wannt i can give even more links to confirm you lied

i like this 97. greek generation, maybe next golden greek generation, and maybe they change fortune of greeks in nba, but they don't need your lies. respect bro!

No way in hell are you Croatian.

LerinErin
European Baller

I enjoy your posts.. Never a dull moment, but dude it is really scary that as soon as you post you give your self a plus. The instant a post of yours go up it has a plus... man you really need to take this less seriously.

LerinErin
Any way peace

And for the record I agree with you in the Rubio thread

LerinErin
Any way peace

And for the record I agree with you in the Rubio thread

pohani komarac
No way in hell are you

No way in hell are you Croatian

Yes I am

Yes, here....just like with Stefan Peno who play for Barcelona for year and is 8mounths younger, Luka Doncic etc, juts like with Vas birthday..... here for sample Bosnian Edin Atic (97.) from Kos sarajevo trensfer to real Madrid. transfer happend in February

http://www.kip.ba/2012/02/18/mladi-edin-atic-od-ljeta-u-redovima-velikog-real-madrida/

Also in link Barcelona wannts Croatian Sandro Antunovic (98.) who plays in same team as Edin, at that time 13 years

need more??

Stop making things up

European Baller
No way in hell are you

No way in hell are you Croatian

Yes I am

Yes, here....just like with Stefan Peno who play for Barcelona for year and is 8mounths younger, Luka Doncic etc, juts like with Vas birthday..... here for sample Bosnian Edin Atic (97.) from Kos sarajevo trensfer to real Madrid. transfer happend in February

http://www.kip.ba/2012/02/18/mladi-edin-atic-od-ljeta-u-redovima-velikog-real-madrida/

Also in link Barcelona wannts Croatian Sandro Antunovic (98.) who plays in same team as Edin, at that time 13 years

need more??

Stop making things up

Go play at realgm and interbasket with the other 13 year old trolls.

McDunkin
McDunkin's picture
but you're one of the worse

but you're one of the worse trolls here European Baller...practice what you preach bro

aamir543
aamir543's picture
Hey EuroBaller, if you don't

Hey EuroBaller, if you don't mind, can you just give us your opinion on Davis Bertans, I'm really high on him, I think the Spurs got a steal.

European Baller
Hey EuroBaller, if you don't

Hey EuroBaller, if you don't mind, can you just give us your opinion on Davis Bertans, I'm really high on him, I think the Spurs got a steal.

I think he's a nice hustle player and he goes after rebounds good. He's not much more than that though.

iguapops420
iguapops420's picture
I thought that Bertans as

I thought that Bertans as listed as a below average rebounder for his height and primarily a tall shooter? Am I wrong or has he changed?

BT, we need no European war's developing through forum talk. Let's take it down a notch Euros lol.

European Baller
I don't think of Bertans as a

I don't think of Bertans as a shooter.

Wait, which Bertans are we talking about here?

iguapops420
iguapops420's picture
http://nbadraft.net/players/d
Lakers_own_u
For a greek player

For a greek player

RSS: Syndicate content