USA Men's Olympic team 2014

mbunner23
mbunner23's picture
USA Men's Olympic team 2014

As I sit here and watch USA real training camp on NBA TV, I keep thinking how hard it's going to be to narrow down all of these great young players to form a team in 2014. I think guys like Durant, Westbrook, Davis, Love and Harden might come back to play. Add guys like Irving and Paul George who I think will be locks for the team. Who else makes it? What's your roster look like?

Guards - Irving, Harden, Lilliard, Westbrook, Thompson
Forwards - Durant, Love, George, Kidd-Gilchrist
Bigs - Davis, Cousins, Drummond

officerbarbrady
officerbarbrady's picture
Kawahi Leonard

Kawahi Leonard needs to be on the list and Kidd-Gilchrist should be taken off.

TomShoe
TomShoe's picture
Not bad.

I agree with most of those selections, but MKG and Klay Thompson is pushing it.

Moon River
Moon River's picture
PG

Don't forget Derrick Rose.

CodySLC
CodySLC's picture
Im going to sound like a

Im going to sound like a homer here, but i think Gordan Hayward with his shooting and all around game has a good chance to make it over MKG.

IndianaBasketball
IndianaBasketball's picture
Reports are that GordOn

Reports are that GordOn Hayward has stood out so far.

Plus he's just better than MKG.

lakeshow22
Why does everybody forget

Why does everybody forget about Eric Gordon and just assume that he's going to be injured for most of his career?

IndianaBasketball
I think Eric Gordon is done

I think Eric Gordon is done with Team USA. He wasn't happy with being cut from last summer's Olympic Team. He felt he outplayed James Harden in tryouts and that he'd already paid his dues by helping Team USA win Gold in the 2010 Fiba World Championships.

lakeshow22
That's because he did outplay

That's because he did outplay James harden and still got snubbed. Fran grad chola who was an observer of the whole camp said that Gordon outplayed harden and deserved to make it over him. Gordon was coming off a season where he only 8 games while harden helped OKC get to the finals. That seemed to play a factor as well. I'm sure Gordon will get to try out for the FIBA next year and also 2016. I don't think he's done at all

Some of the coaches also said that Gordon was the best on ball defender in the entire team. While I'm sure Haden might have been the worst

lakeshow22
I ment Fran Fraschilla. Not

I ment Fran Fraschilla. Not fran grad chola. It was auto correrct

Wahoo757
Wahoo757's picture
Are you talking about the

Are you talking about the FIBA World Cup? Summer Olympics aren't til 2016.

Rigelz
Big Men

i'm not sure Davis + Cousins + Drummond are safe picks for 2014. Ok, there are few USA big men... but this is a problem these guys could solve in future...Today... Is A Davis healthy? Is Cousins mentally ok? Is Drummond quite experienced? Difficult to say... i don't understand why so few big men are able to emerge from HS / NCAA....

mbunner23
mbunner23's picture
Yes.

Yes, FIBA world cup 2014.

benjo34 (not verified)
Olympics are 2016. But,i

Olympics are 2016. But,i think that world cup team is going to be a loadet. I would love to se John Wall made it to the team

druneave3
druneave3's picture

Guards: Rose, Irving, Lillard, Curry, Thompson
Forwards: Durant, George, Barnes, Leonard, Faried
Center: Davis, Favors

Starting Line-up: Rose, Irving, George, Durant, Davis

Yes, I left off Westbrook, Harden, and Love. These are just the players I would choose to give me the best chance to win.

OaktownWarriors
OaktownWarriors's picture
Wait up, check this out...

Remember the past two teams? Team USA likes to run, so their past rosters had guys that can run and score really quickly and didn't bother with having alot of post up guys.

Guards: Rose, Iriving, Curry, Westbrook, Lillard

Fowards: George, Durant, Thompson, Harden, Leonard

mbunner23
mbunner23's picture
If you watched the interview

If you watched the interview with Coach K. He mentioned how they would have liked to have a couple back to the basket bigs but all were hurt, or weren't ready for the big stage. With Davis, Love, Drummond and even Cousins you can still run with those guys. Davis and Drummond are extremely athletic and love to run the floor for easy lobs. You can have that, along with Love and Cousins, who can make a post move but can also contribute by rebounding, passing and also shooting.

Suckerpunch
Suckerpunch's picture
On a side note. Being an

On a side note. Being an Aussie, I hope Kyrie doesn't get a look in with Team USA. We need him more than you guys do! Try having to rely on Bogut being healthy! It's stressful

Choppy
Choppy's picture
Wait a few years

While it would be good to have Kyrie play for Australia, if we wait a few years we won't be so reliant on Bogut. Aron Baynes who plays for Spurs (and did pretty well in SL) will be more experienced and a solid big. Dante Exum and Ben Simmons who are projected to be pretty good and Thon Maker who if he develops has intriguing potential. Things looking up for Aussie basketball!

goldie92689
goldie92689's picture
2014 National Team

These projections are nearly impossible until you see the 2014 pool. We don't know the status of players like howard, aldridge, rose, gordon, curry and others. The number of players from this camp to make the world cup team will probably be low. Kyrie, Paul George, AD are most likely.

machu46
I'll definitely be rooting

I'll definitely be rooting for my man Larry Sanders to make it, but I'd be surprised if he does, especially with him getting hurt already apparently. It's nice to have a Milwaukee Buck competing for a spot though.

Greek Baller
a

The Greek team will give USA alot of problems, especially if this is your set of bigs.. smhh

Suckerpunch
Suckerpunch's picture
Yeah, it'll be hard to

Yeah, it'll be hard to contain all of your 16 year old 6ft 10 point forwards.

Junior Greek Baller
Junior Greek Baller's picture
Agreed, USA will struggle

Agreed, USA will struggle with this team, especially against Greece

XYRYX
XYRYX's picture
Give me a break. Do you guys

Give me a break.

Do you guys have cloning station somewhere???

ovaeast14
ovaeast14's picture
Blake Griffin

No mention of Blake Griffin on here for the bigs? By all accounts he was killing it last summer before the injury

IndianaBasketball
Guards: Russell Westbrook,

Guards: Russell Westbrook, James Harden, Kyrie Irving, Mike Conley Jr., Jrue Holiday and Gordon Hayward

Forwards: Kevin Durant, Kevin Love, Anthony Davis, Paul George and Ryan Anderson

Center: DeMarcus Cousins (Toughest position for me to decide, but he's the best option I guess)

---

* According to reports, Kevin Durant, Kevin Love, Russell Westbrook and James Harden are all committed.

- I think Kyrie Irving and Anthony Davis are locks.

- I like Paul George because of his versatility at both ends. Will play 3/4 in FIBA.

* I like Mike Conley Jr over Damian Lillard because he defends better and doesn't turn the ball over.

* I like Jrue Holiday's size and ability to defend both guard spots, plus he's a respectable shooter.

* Gordon Hayward seems like a sure bet to make it since the reports coming out of camp have been so positive about him.

* Ryan Anderson provides shooting, which is always needed in FIBA.

RSS: Syndicate content