Toronto Raptors and the 5th pick
The Toronto Raptors are a team I feel sorry for. It seems like to me they are one of the worst if not the worst defensive team in the league. I like to watch an underdog team turn things around and rise up. Ever since Chris Bosh left this team this team isn't the same. Who should this team draft? Should they trade Andrea Bargnani? As far as who this team should draft below are players they should draft and these are not in order either.
1) Jan Vesely- Why am I so high on this kid. For starters he's 6'11. He can play either forward position. He has the height advantage to score over most defenders. I still feel though he will go to either Utah at the 3rd pick or Cleveland at the 4th pick.
2) Brandon Knight- a combo guard who is compared to Jason Terry. The Raptors actually need the best player available and just nearly start over. Also is good at staying in front of his man. Raptors desperately need defense and i think Knight could bring a little of that.
3) Jonas Valanciunas- I think if they draft Valanciunas then Bargani can go back to playing the 4. Valanciunas is an aggressive rebounder which is what the Raptors need.
4) Kemba Walker- this might be a reach going into the top five. I like how quick Walker is though and he would be interesting if Vesely, Knight and Valaniunas by chance are off the board.
So who should the Toronto Raptors pick? Tell me your thoughts on this all this was an article written on http://nbaballinstuff.blogspot.com
I still think Toronto needs to target a small forward. Their backcourt is pretty solid with Calderon, Bayless, and DeRozan(and Barbosa, if he stays). Their frontcourt is decent too with Bargnani, Davis, and Johnson. So I'm thinking a 3 who can also play the 4 some. Jan Vesely gets my vote to at #5.
The Raptors have some good pieces in Bayless, Derozan, Johnson and Davis.
Johnson is a borderline starter with solid upside as a point forward, but more suited as a 6-7 man.
Bayless showed signs of great potential last year, with some monster performances.
Derozan is the future of the team, and Davis is a future starting PF/C
What we really need to do is Draft a versatile wing player who can compliment Derozan offensively, along with be an above average defender.
Jan Vesely is who we should draft. He has the potential to be a good offensive player, as he is athletic, and he has the potential to improve his jumper. He also has potential to be a defensive stopper with his size and athleticism. He is in my opinion who we need to draft.
Another thing we can do, is trade for a late lottery pick to pick Biyombo, or Tristan Thompson, who both have the potential to be huge shot blocking presences in the paint.
We also need to trade both Bargnani and Calderon, either for a SF or a C, depending on who we draft. We could also trade them for future picks, or picks this year.
Also, although I my first choce would be Vesely I wouldnt be surprised to see T-Dot draft Kawhi Leonard as well. He's a pretty solid defender, and a good run-and-gun type of guy, but I still like Vesely a little more.
if they don't get Kanter who is exactly the player they need from this draft cause he gives them great compleament upfront for both Bargnani and Ed Davis with his versatility as a bigman(he rebound very well, can shot and has post game), if not it recommend for them to maybe trade down some but to take Jordan Hamilton who will be the best fit along side DeRozan on the wing and i love the future potential of Bayless/DeRozan/Hamilton combination on the 1-2-3 spots.
If we can trade up for Kanter or if he falls to #5 that would be great, otherwise I'd go with Kemba Walker.
Calderon's days as starting PG are over while Bayless looks more like a combo guard/scorer off the bench.
I think Kemba can become a very good NBA point guard while also bringing some much needed leadership and excitement to a rebuilding Raptors team
raps need to keep it very simple in this draft assuming they keep their pick
1 b knight
2 k walker
3 k leonard
the raps are tryin to move away from the european soft label that they haveEARNED .... and none of the euros in this draft is special enough to risk taking that step back
I'm think Kyrie, Williams and Knight are probably gone by the time we draft.
F the current roster. Draft the best player available. This year there are some legit euro prospects who are NOT soft.
1) Kanter - I think he has as much talent as any player in the draft, except maybe Kyrie. Dominant post scoring is very hard to come by. I also think he'll be solid on D and rebounding. This is a no-brainer if he's available.
2) Valanciunas - Not great in terms of athletiicsm, but seems to be a smart player. Moves around the court in a similar way to Big Z.
3) Walker - Solid player. A safe pick with a higher ceiling than people might realize. I think he can be a legit PG.
4) Veseley - athleticism is there... but I'm not seeing a ton of skills on the offensive end. Potential is there on both ends of the court, but he looks like a question mark in many areas. very poor FT% is a bad sign, he has a lot to wrok on. AK-47 comparisons seem appropriate. If Veseley can make those kinds of defensive contributions he'll be a great pick. He does have major bust potential as well.
5) Tristan Thompson / Kawi Leonard. Not sure which will be better, but I'd be happy rolling the dice with either
I'm really hoping Kanter falls to Toronto at #5.
I'd love to see the Raps use him at center while Ed Davis and James Johnson round out the rest of the starting frontcourt. I'm concerned about outside shooting with those three and Derozan at the 2 but with Bargs coming of the bench as your sixth man things should be ok.
Now that Valanciunas is confirmed that he wont be playing in the NBA until the 2012-13 season I see the Raptors taking Kemba Walker.
B Knight and Enes will be #3 & #4 or else I'd pick them up so I see BC wanting a prospect who can produce now and help win games.
BC's contract comes into play with this pick as well, he has a 2 year contract (Not giving him much room for error), so selecting Jonas or a long term project along those lines is just not happening.
I've called this for a few weeks now but I really think Kemba Walker will be our 5th pick.
Plus my case against Vesely is him & DeRozan would not be a good wing combo, yes they are both athletic.
But there outside shooting is a glaring weakness and a believe Vesely will always be a mediocre player in the NBA, the SF position is absolutely loaded in next years draft class so I think that can be addressed then we just have to patient.
James Johnson & Kleiza as a SF combo will be okay if we can't acquire one through free agency. Still don't think they are starters but they will be decent for us.