Toronto Raptors 2017/2018

OhCanada-
OhCanada-'s picture
Toronto Raptors 2017/2018

I dont like this years roster at all. At first I liked the idea of getting the young guys to step into the rotation but I havent liked what Ive been watching so far.

To be honest Im kind of worried about this years group. They are expecting alot of the young because of mismanaging the cap. The core group is returning with Lowry, Derozan and Valanciunas which basically means no defence unless Lowry is playing D but last year we didnt see much of that and he is only a year older. Ibaka has joined that group and will be starting at PF and likely playing C but his defence has also fallen off quite a bit. Miles will likely start as the opposite wing to Derozan and play small ball PF like he did in Indiana. Powell will likely be the 6th man. That means Dorrell Wright will be getting backup PG minutes, Siakam will see minutes at PF/C, and a few other players will need to step up. Caboclo? Anunoby? McDaniels? Van Vleet? Nogiuera? Poeltl?

So far in preseason none of the bench players have stepped up and proven to be reliable rotation players other than Powell.

Siakam has had his moments. He gives energy and runs the floor. He has extended his range to the 3 but its still a work in progress and he is unsure of himself. Very hesitant and still clumsy. Defensively he tries his best but has his limitations. Just a high energy guy, isnt really intimidating anyone like others that play the same role as athletic defender/rebounders.

The brazilians are just too soft. What a joke. Caboclo and Nogeuira are hard to watch. Especially Lucas who is supposed to be a shotblocking Center but helps guys up and compliments them after fouling them. Hes just too nice I hate it.

Anunoby has been cleared for contact and is now playing but we cant expect much from him. Hes still recovering and even pre-injury he was a raw prospect whos physical tools and potential gave him a draft stock. He may take some time before he is NBA ready.

Van Vleet prejects to be a solid 3rd gaurd. Great...

Dorrell Wright is going to have to be a big time performer this year and take a huge role. He will have to be our swiss army knife and play a Shaun Livingston/Iman Shumpert type role. Theres alot of places he needs to improve but if his shot can become consistent, he stays healthy, he keeps his defensive awarene....too many ifs. Probably wont pan out.

The Eastern Conference is so weak this year that even with all these issues Toronto should pull off a 45-50 win season but without big contributions from the role players the worst may come into perspective here and Toronto may have to target a rebuild. If Derozan or Lowry gets a major injury they may have to throw in the towel and start tanking for R.J. Barrett.

OhCanada-
OhCanada-'s picture
I do want to add that CJ

I do want to add that CJ Miles is a great signing and should be an excellent off the ball shooter for this team. We need alot from the young players to be relevant come playoff time but I just havent seen much progression.

Miko4rm206
Miko4rm206's picture
Dorrell Wright is Delon

Dorrell Wright is Delon Wrights Older brother who is no longer in the LEAGUE. Just thought i would throw that out there

cohenbc1
I agree in that the guys they

I agree in that the guys they lost -- Patterson, Joseph, Tucker, Carroll -- could be four-fifths of the All-Glue-Guy Team. It's crazy to just let all those guys walk and expect unproven youngsters to take their place.

On the other hand, they still bring back the core of a 50-win team. Other than Cleveland and Washington no one in the East can say that. I kind of expect to see them in the 2nd round of the playoffs again.

Jr. ROXAS
Jr. ROXAS's picture
Letting Norman Powell free

Letting Norman Powell free will give them so much of a boost offensively that Tucker and Carrol ever gave. Joseph was a solid guard but was the definition of tunnel vision. Wright is a lot more creative than Jospeh, although Joseph is the better shooter. Both are good defenders. Patterson is the only guy they will miss a lot.

Hitster
Hitster's picture
I agree they have lost some

I agree they have lost some good bench depth but the starting 5 is coming off the team's 2nd best ever season and with the East not being that deep, I'd still say the Raps are a top 4 team out there and will win nearer 50 games than 40.

For a team which hasn't a huge previous legacy, I'd say to the fans enjoy this team and any play off runs they may have. Personally I don't see them ever getting past Cavs or maybe Boston but they should make play off Semi Finals or could sneak into the Finals if they avoided the Cavs.

Of the younger guys, I'd like to see Poltl step up this year as he was a top 10 pick and was considered a mobile big, he needs more minutes and should push on this year if the potentialm is there.

OhCanada-
OhCanada-'s picture
With all that being said

With all that being said watching them against the Pistons tonight, ''DELON'' Wright (not Dorrell my bad) is going to be a problemn defensively and quite honestly he always has shown that but never got consistent minutes. His shot is falling though and if he can shoot even just 35% from three he becomes a very valueable asset.

Anunoby is a big boy. He always has been impressive physically but now that I see him standing next to pro's it really gives a good idea how big this guy is. He has great basketball sense and seems like a team player, just needs to work on his jumpshot because that will be his bread and butter next to Derozan and Lowry and its no secret anyone playing on this team needs to be able to stick set jumpshots.

RSS: Syndicate content