Top SG in 2011 draft = Alec Burks ?

mess.eee
mess.eee's picture
Top SG in 2011 draft = Alec Burks ?

Is Alec Burks the top SG in 2011 draft ? I did not watch a single Colorado game, and didnt even see any of their highlights on ESPN, so I have no clue on what type of game Alec Burks has. But looking at his numbers, he looks like a very good player for an 18 year old freshman. He is projected to be a lottery selection for 2011 mockdraft here on nbadraft.net, but he is no where to be found in the draftexpress.com 2011 mockdraft.

Can anyone elaborate more about this kid and how good he is? If he came out this year, would he be the top SG in this draft?

And if anyone has some highlight clips of him, please post some links because I cant find a single highlight of his on youtube.

OhCanada-
OhCanada-'s picture
Great post ive had my head

Great post ive had my head wandering on Alec Burks for a while as well.

TaylorCondrin
TaylorCondrin's picture
im in the same boat, i guess

im in the same boat, i guess its hard to get a good read on a player when the only teams that get exposure on tv are kansas, michigan state, duke, and syracuse

The Squirrelyq
Burks

Well, I watched the one game that Burks played against Kansas/ as many games as I could on TV and have followed his high school career (I played with him in AAU when we were both freshman in high school, he was 5'8" then, and I still couldn't guard him). He isn't a great shooter, but he is a ridiculously smooth player with amazing ball handling skills. He is definitely a slasher, once again, otherworldly ball handling skills. If he is going to be a strong scorer at the next level he will have to work on his jumper and hit the weight room. Disclaimer: I am not a Burks expert, I just like to pretend I am because I used to play on his team =P

OldSkoolBasketball
OldSkoolBasketball's picture
I agree with the squirrel

I agree with the squirrel I've seen one game live from him and he is clearly the best player on the team. He is pretty good at driving to the hoops and pretty good ball handling skills but he needs improve on his perimeter game and he isn't that strong. But I like his game and I hope to see improvement next time I see him play.

Grandmama
Grandmama's picture
Top SG in 2011 draft =

Top SG in 2011 draft = Harrison Barnes.....hands down....if he comes out

midwestbbscout
midwestbbscout's picture
barnes

is considered a 3...but Will Barton is better than Burks easily....

mess.eee
mess.eee's picture
@ uncle buckshot

Even tho he has guard skills, Harrison Barnes is more ideal to be a SF in the NBA because of his 6'8 215lbs frame.

and @ midwest

Its hard to put Will Barton over Burks when Burks has already established himself as a legit prospect. Barton is certainly more highly touted in high school, because Burks essentially came out of no where and wasnt really highly recruited.

midwestbbscout
midwestbbscout's picture
oh yeah

i realize that.....its more of I dont have all too much faith in Burks than it is Will Barton being a sure thing....just saying if the draft was today excluding all players in this years draft I probably take Barton before any other scoring guard...

Adi Joseph
I'm not crazy about Barton,

I'm not crazy about Barton, one of the skinniest players I've seen (right up there with John Henson). I think it will take at least a few years for Barton to hone his body and game.

As far as Burks, it's a shame he didn't get the hype he deserved. Until getting hurt against Iowa State -- an injury he rebounded from quickly and smoothly -- he was the only freshman to have scored in double figures in every game. He has great athleticism, a perfect frame for the 2 at the NBA level, a smooth handle and a developing jump shot. In many ways, he's the prototype for an NBA shooting guard.

He still must fill out and develop that jump shot even more, but he could very well be similar to Jimmy Jackson or Eddie Jones in terms of NBA production.

I can't speak for why he hasn't drawn hype across the board, but I do feel strongly that he is a great prospect. William Buford may have more upside as far as 2011 shooting guards go, but Burks better fits the NBA as he operates so well off ball.

JNixon
JNixon's picture
I watch alot of Big 12 ball,

I watch alot of Big 12 ball, and Burks is a decent prospect. Top SG in any draft? Hell no. And to whoever said he's the best player on Colorado's squad either looks at the stat sheet and doesn't watch them play, or watched a game where Cory Higgins didn't play for one reason or another...Higgins is hands down the best player on Colorado's roster. Burks was the best prospect though.

Burks is very long but also painfully skinny and weak. Very smooth and a good ball-handler as everyone says. He's a nice athlete all-around and is a threat in transition mostly. He's not more than decent as a shooter from mid-range and will rarely even shoot a 3 unless he's very wide open for the most part. He's not likely to pass the ball much. He's not a good defender other than the occassional play in the passing lane, where he can use his length. He does have the potential to be a great defender though, but right now he's too weak alot of times.

I actually think he's more of a 2012 prospect. Right now he scores mostly in transition and off cuts to the rim, not because he can break down the D consistently off the dribble or because he shoot very well like a potential 2-year-and-out prospect should be able. It's good that he scored like he did this past season, but he's gonna have to show the ability to show more of a skill level to prove he's a true NBA prospect. He's a long-term prospect. Even if he left early next year, he wouldn't be likely to contribute much in the NBA until a few seasons down the line.

JoeWolf1
JoeWolf1's picture
Adi Joseph, I don't think he

Adi Joseph,

I don't think he got a ton of hype, but he won Big 12 newcomer of the year over Xavier Henry, Avery Bradley, Jordan Hamilton and others. Playing for a sub par Colorado team last year didn't get his hype going, but he got the props he deserved by the Big 12.

I've seen him play 3-4 times last year and he has good athletic ability and can get to the rack, and judging by how Colorado finished the season, I think they will be an improved team next year who may be a NIT team or one of the first teams out of the tournament. If Colorado fails to improve I think Burks stock will suffer. If Colorado can gain some momentum and Burks could ride their buzz into the draft I think he could be a top 20 pick because of his potential, but I don't think he's quite ready to produce in the NBA, but he has the potential. If I had to make a comparison right now...I'd say Desmond Mason.

RSS: Syndicate content