Top Point Guards in 2011 draft.

the barron
Top Point Guards in 2011 draft.

So right here I have ranked the top 20 PG's in the upcoming draft. Although this draft doesn't have a John Wall/Derrick Rose type consensus number 1 pick the top 4 PG's, I feel will have an impact in their first year. Nobody impressed me more this past year than Kemba who like a true leader lead his team to a championship, I wouldn't be surprised if 5 years down the line he is the best floor general out of the bunch. Stone out of UTEP will be a steal and is one of the most underrated players in the draft. A 6'6 unselfish guy who can defend 3 positions and set up the scorers on the team. Anyway here is the list:

1. Kyrie Irving 6'3 Duke
  2. Brandon Knight 6'3 Kentucky
  3. Kemba Walker 6'0 UCONN
  4. Jimmer Fredette 6'2 BYU
  5. Darius Morris 6'4 Michigan
  6. Julyan Stone 6'6 UTEP
  7. Reggie Jackson 6'3 Boston College
  8. Nolan Smith 6'3 Duke
  9. Shelvin Mack 6'2 Butler
  10. Norris Cole 6'2 Cleveland St.
  11. Cory Joseph 6'1 Texas
  12. Demetri McCamey 6'3 Illinois
  13. Ben Hansbrough 6'3 Notre Dame
  14. Andrew Goudelock 6'2 Charleston
  15. Jacob Pullen 6'0 Kansas St.
  16. Isaiah Thomas 5'10 Washington
  17. Kevin Anderson 6'0 Richmond
  18. Talor Battle 6'0 Penn St.
  19. Jackson Emery 6'2 BYU
  20. Randy Culpepper 6'0 UTEP

In all I see 4 lottery picks, and maybe 7-8 first rounders in total. This is a deep PG class and don't discount the shorter guys on the lower part of the list. A few years back I had JJ Barea ranked in the 17-19 range, so you never know which of these likely undrafted players will make an impact on the next level.

capecodder
kevin anderson

Could be the next Barea

Chrispy
Chrispy's picture
I know I'm pushing it here, but...

was anyone else as impressed as I was with the D of Jackson Emery? I knew nothing about the guy heading into this year and was tuning in to BYU only for the Jimmer show, but every game I watched I found myself paying as much attention to Emery on the D side as to Jimmer on O. Don't know if he is an NBA player, but he should get (and would if I ruled the world) a whole lot of burn at some camps to see if he could be a shut down situational guard. Oh, and Norris Cole could be a steal, but we all know that !

bloodshy
bloodshy's picture
Emery, Yes.

The guy was truly a shut-down guard. Probably the best I've seen in my limited NCAA observation. His O is soooo limited though. All he can do is hit the 3. Seriously.

Chrispy
Chrispy's picture
Agree

But he is WAY better on O than the next 'shut down guard' guy Dogus Balbay! Like I said, probably won't get any burn ever, but teams could do worse for an end-of-the-bench-practice-hard guy! He will have to earn it at camps and summer leagues though. No reason he can't make a pretty penny overseas in the hand to hand combat of the European leagues.

scoutguru
I'm just wondering. Do you

I'm just wondering. Do you not think Josh Selby is or projects as a point guard and do you see him more as a small 2 guard, or is juust simply not in your top 20?

McDunkin
McDunkin's picture
I would actually move Dogus

I would actually move Dogus Balbay into the 17-20 range with the showings he had at the Eurocamp.

When healthy his speed and athleticism are/were top notch...but then again he hasnt had 2 healthy knees since his days at Brewster Acadamy so i doubt he will get drafted or even get much NBA burn outside of preseason games

Chrispy
Chrispy's picture
Yes... But

The man can't make a 4 foot jumper. I love his ferocity on D, but like you said his athleticism has taken a few knocks. I remember watching games where his man wouldn't even be within 10 feet of him because he is no shooting threat at all. Period. Won't work in the NBA where spacing is at a premium. I agree with you that he won't make it past some camps. Europe too?

the barron
Balbay and Selby

For Josh Selby I see him more of a SG, than a point. Some of these combo guards could be considered either PG or SG, such as Alec Burks, but I feel both Selby and Burks could succeed better at the 2. Dogus Balbay was the first guy out of my top 20, so he was 21. Again his offensive liabilities and his injury got hime out of this list.

RSS: Syndicate content