Top 500 Players in the NBA via espn Derozan #101?!

chevilicous
chevilicous's picture
Top 500 Players in the NBA via espn Derozan #101?!

Has anybody been following this at all? If you haven't i don't blame you as it has been really kind of assanine. But something really sparked my interest, as i saw Demar DeRozan ranked #101 on this list, now i can't think for the life of me of 100 players better than this kid, and blows my mind even further when i see players like Mcgee, george hill, and hell his own teamate Bargani for that matter. If you have no earthly idea what im talkin about, you might want to go to espn's website, cause apparently i cant post it here without sparking the spam filter.

Scottoant93
Scottoant93's picture
Im not disagreeing with you

Im not disagreeing with you but the reason Bargs is ahead of him is because while he was injured, the team sucked even worse without him. Derozen did increase his ppg, but when many guard blow right past him, your not going to win a lot of games.

mikeyvthedon
mikeyvthedon's picture
Surprised this is the first time this list has been talked about

It has been interesting, but I think it was a pretty ridiculous way of rating players. I mean, rating every NBA player on a scale of 1-10? How can you get a good basis out of that or consistency in ratings? Hence, a pretty awful rating system with a ton of questionable players being placed in strange spots. The best part? No one has to take any credibility for the way they rated anybody! So, win-win for ESPN and the voters. Though, I guess anyone looking at the list does not really win. Taking one million years releasing the excruciating details of who is ranked where, plus getting people to try to talk about on twitter! Genius! In other words, I do not put much credibility into this list. It is mildly interesting to see where guys are put, but I am disappointed in the way that it was put together with the 1-10 ranking system. 500 Players given ratings of 1-10=hard to put much stock into it.

providencefriars1
providencefriars1's picture
Ya I have been following this

Ya I have been following this too, and I think they did a pretty good job ranking. For the most part they are accurate. Here and there there are hiccups like Derozan but you cant say its totally inaccurate. Some other questionable decisions: Grant Hill too high and a 50 rank difference between Irving and Williams in favor of Irving.

er1csh3n
er1csh3n's picture
Guards in the NBA get blown

Guards in the NBA get blown by almost every game, athletic or not, defense comes with experience and willingness.

sameolG
sameolG's picture
I just want to know who is

I just want to know who is ranked 500th so I can laugh

aamir543
aamir543's picture
I haven't been foolowing it

I haven't been foolowing it daily, just look at it once every couple days, but this is pretty ridiculous.

I am not a fan of DeRozan, I think he is a glorified chucker, but even I think he should be at least 25-30 spots higher. I just hope learns to play off the ball, and distribute the ball a bit more, and not relying on his pure athleticism all the time.

PurpleMonkeyDis...
PurpleMonkeyDishwasher's picture
Espn

The whole list is speculative at best. Derozan is never going to be mistaken for Scottie Pippen ot probably ever make an all-star team. So why are you worried about his place on the list when there many players further down the list just because they are younger players?

raybeas
raybeas's picture
I dont see the problem

In a 2012 NBA fantasy draft, I'm not drafting him before the 10th round.

Jlv2012
Ok, can someone please tell me

what's so special about Derozan?

TaylorCondrin
TaylorCondrin's picture
500th is lavoy allen btw

500th is lavoy allen btw

Malik-Universal
Malik-Universal's picture
the rankings suck who the

the rankings suck

who the hell did this

Malik-Universal
they have anderson varejo at

they have anderson varejo at 85 and gortat at 86

wow....

someone explain that to me please

aamir543
aamir543's picture
They value big men much more

They value big men much more than they value glorified chuckers.

Malik-Universal
bro... i meant how is vareojo

bro... i meant how is vareojo better than gortat....

they have eric bledsoe ahead of jerryd bayless to... idk how that works.. but clearly the dumbasses who made these are pretty stupid

aamir543
aamir543's picture
I mean,Gortat had a breakout

I mean,Gortat had a breakout season this year, but it's not like Varajao completly dissappeared. Even though he played for the worst team, he was almost getting a double double before the season ended, and although one might think Gortat has more chances to be a legit starter in the long run, Varajao's has a stronger body of work, so I don't really mind him being ahead of Gortat.

Malik-Universal
he doesnt even have any

he doesnt even have any offensive skills... is an overrated defensive player, and is a huge flopper...

granted hes a very good rebounder and hustles, thats about it

OhCanada-
OhCanada-'s picture
Lol Beasley ranked

Lol Beasley ranked 109th...what a joke.

aamir543
aamir543's picture
Ok, I wouldn't argue either

Ok, I wouldn't argue either way as to who is better, cause both play a different style, and are solid big men in their own right. Although I did previously state that I don't havve a problem with Varejao being ahead of Gortat, I do think that this past season, Gortat displayed great offensive and rebounding skills this past season, but that was with an insanely fast pace Suns team. Varajao is not an offensive player, get he still almost gets double digits in that catagory. And if you look on basketball reference, you will see that according to the number of win shares, per 80 games this past season, varajao had just about a couple tenths of a win share advantage in both offense and defense, and that with the cavs being so bad. If you look at the win shares for the 08-09 and 09-10 season, varajao is well past Gortat's win shares this season.

Although I will agree with you that Gortat did have a better season this season, it wasn't by that much, and even though this past season may have been Varajao's best season as far as points in Rebounds, he had better seasons in the past as far as advanced metric stats go. So even if we were to say that Gortat is better than Varajao(which I agree with), it isn't as big an outrage or miscue as you would think.

ProudGrandpa
ProudGrandpa's picture
I was a voter

I gave Derozan a 2

Maybe that has something to do with it

He just doesn't play good, fundamental basketball

er1csh3n
er1csh3n's picture
Wow all you hating on

Wow all you hating on Derozan? "good, fundamental basketball", are you saying that he throws up too many bad shots, because I'm pretty sure a lot of guards, even players do that. Im not a big stat guy, but 18 pts 4 rebounds and 2 assists doesn't say something? I know he's from Toronto but that doesn't mean he deserves no respect

RSS: Syndicate content