Top 100 football recruits who also star in basketball

mikeyvthedon
mikeyvthedon's picture
Top 100 football recruits who also star in basketball
Photo by Dennis Lee
At 6-foot-7 and nearing 300 pounds, Freddie Tagaloa is a beast in the paint for perennial NorCal power Salesian.

MaxPreps takes a look at 10 Top 100 football recruits expected to sign next week in the midst of productive and successful basketball seasons:

Dorial Green-Beckham, WR, Hillcrest (Springfield, Mo.)
MaxPreps Top 100 rank: No. 1
Headed to: Undecided
On the gridiron: Hauled in 119 passes for 2,233 yards and 24 touchdowns for 11-2 Hornets as a senior.
On the hardwood: Helped Hillcrest win a state title as a sophomore and is a two-time all-state selection.

Andrus Peat, OL, Corona del Sol (Tempe, Ariz.)
MaxPreps Top 100 rank: No. 8
On the gridiron: Participated in the Under Armour All-American Game earlier this month.
On the hardwood: A key contributor for Arizona's top-ranked team, Peat has helped the Aztecs achieve a 19-1 record and go 4-0 at the VisitMesa.com Arizona Basketball Challenge in December.

Photo by Louis Lopez
Arik Armstead, Pleasant Grove

Arik Armstead, OL/DL, Pleasant Grove (Elk Grove, Calif.)
MaxPreps Top 100 rank: No. 16
On the gridiron: Helped Pleasant Grove go 13-1 and capture the Sac-Joaquin Section Division I title.
On the hardwood: After an impressive showing at the MaxPreps Holiday Classic after Christmas, Armstead elected not to re-join the Eagle basketball team following a trip to the U.S. Army All-American Game. Pleasant Grove is 18-1 and a Top 25 team in the state of California according to the Freeman Rankings.

Zach Banner, OL, Lakes (Lakewood, Wash.)
MaxPreps Top 100 rank: No. 21
On the gridiron: The massive tackle (6-8, 295) helped Lakes to an 11-1 mark and Class 3A quarterfinal appearance.
On the hardwood: Banner was a key cog for the school's 2011 state championship team and had a big hand in one of the biggest comeback victories in the country this season, scoring 16 points and grabbing 13 boards as Lakes erased a 28-point deficit against Garfield (Seattle) last week.

Jarron Jones, OL/DL, Aquinas Institute (Rochester, N.Y.)
MaxPreps Top 100 rank: No. 22
Headed to: Notre Dame
On the gridiron: One-time Penn State verbal commit was part of a 10-2 Aquinas team that reached New York's Class A semifinals.
On the hardwood: Jones and the Little Irish are the Rochester area's top-ranked team and No. 5 in the New York State Sportswriters Association Class AA poll.

Deontay Greenberry, WR, Washington Union (Fresno, Calif.)
MaxPreps Top 100 rank: No. 45
Headed to: Notre Dame
On the gridiron: Greenberry caught 66 passes for 1,208 yards and eight touchdowns to help Washington Union capture the a state title.
On the hardwood: The future Fighting Irish pass-catcher didn't make his hardwood debut until Jan. 17, collecting 12 points and nine rebounds in a 75-40 win over Kerman.

Photo by Jim Redman
Adolphus Washington, Taft

Adolphus Washington, DE, Taft (Cincinnati)
MaxPreps Top 100 rank: No. 49
Headed to: Ohio State
On the gridiron: "Diesel" had a hand in 90 tackles and racked up 23.5 sacks as a senior.
On the hardwood: One of Ohio's most productive post players, Washington and Taft are favorites to repeat as Ohio's Division III state champions.

Cyrus Jones, WR/DB, Gilman (Baltimore)
MaxPreps Top 100 rank: No. 76
Headed to: Alabama
On the gridiron: After rushing for 2,365 yards and 24 touchdowns last fall, Jones committed to the BCS national champions at the Under Armour All-American Game.
On the hardwood: Alabama head coach Nick Saban was on hand to watch Jones pump in 23 points in a December win.

Erik Magnuson, OL, La Costa Canyon (Carlsbad, Calif.)
MaxPreps Top 100 rank: No. 81
Headed to: Michigan
On the gridiron: Magnuson played both sides of the ball for La Costa Canyon, a San Diego Section Division II semifinalist.
On the hardwood: The 6-7, 285-pounder is averaging 4.4 points and 4.2 rebounds per game for the 20-2 Mavericks.

Freddie Tagaloa, OL, Salesian (Richmond, Calif.)
MaxPreps Top 100 rank: No. 94
Headed to: California
On the gridiron: Tagaloa and the Pride went 14-0 in 2011 en route to their second-straight North Coast Section title.
On the hardwood: He first gained national notoriety as a member of the Salesian basketball team, helping the Pride win a state title as a freshman. In Tagaloa's four seasons with the program under head coach Bill Mellis, the Richmond school is 106-21.

-Jason Hickman, MaxPreps.com

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/3KJa20YhEeGDlQAmVebEWg/top-100-football-recruits-who-also-star-in-basketball.htm

These are only Top 100 football guys in MaxPreps, so I guess that is why Shaq Goodwin (Memphis commit, possible McDonald's All-American) is not listed. I know DGB is a really good player, though I am not sure if he has plans to play in college. Also have heard great things about Adolphus Washington as a basketball player, supposedly a complete beast of an undersized PF. No idea if he will suit up for Thad Matta, either.

I know that 6'8 Arik Armstead and 6'9 Zach Banner both are looking to play basketball as well as football in college. They both have legit size and length, would be a welcome addition to any hoops team they join. Banner, who is the son of former Pro Bowl LT Lincoln Kennedy, is favoring USC and Washington. Meanwhile, Armstead's recruiting has hit crazy town and he is open to a number of schools. Word is, Oregon is a possibility (YES!) as well as Notre Dame, Auburn, Alabama, Washington, Hawaii, USC (apparently back in the picture) and Cal.

PrecociousNeophyte
PrecociousNeophyte's picture
There is also this guy Ronnie

There is also this guy Ronnie Stanley, a ND football commit that plays basketball at Bishop Gorman. espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/122218/ronnie-stanley

mikeyvthedon
mikeyvthedon's picture
Mos def

Know about Stanley, though I do not know if he will be playing at Notre Dame next year. Pretty sure he is a back-up for Gorman, though they are pretty stacked. Seantrel Henderson (who is a soph at Miami), who many considered the top O-Line prospect in 2010, played AAU ball with Harrison Barnes. Jacoby Brissett, who is currently a QB at Florida, was also a major hooper and I remember killed a tourney last winter. Terrelle Pryor was also a really highly regarded basketball player in his HS days.

With other guys who are more well known as ballers than gridiron studs still in HS, Willie Cauley (Kentucky) and Zach Peters (Kansas) are a couple 2012 bigs who had a huge football impact as HS Seniors. I know Mickey Mitchell, one of the top players in the class of 2015, is seen as a legit QB prospect. Also, I heard Big Baby could have played football at LSU as well. Either way, a lot of major prospects tend to play a few sports, pretty damn well too.

Grandmama
Grandmama's picture
Dorial Green-Beckham is going

Dorial Green-Beckham is going to be a monster in the NFL.

Hale
Hale's picture
That's a cool find Mikey.

That's a cool find Mikey. Buckshot, so true.

Hitster
Hitster's picture
I think only a couple of guys

I think only a couple of guys ever played both NBA and NFL or in what were there forerunner leagues. Danny Ainge played MLB with the Bluejays I seem to recall and Baseball HOFer Dave Winfield was drafted in the NBA, NFL and MLB.

There have been several MLB and NFL crossovers in recent times such as Bo Jackson and Deon Saunders but not any NBA/NFL guys.

There is a theory that with basic speed or strength you can excel in more than one sport look at several Olympic sprinters/hurdlers going to the NFL or even being used in the Bobsleigh at the Winter Olympics.

If you ever research duel code sportsmen going back a hundred or so years you can find some amazing feats.

raybeas
raybeas's picture
Gary Harris

Michigan State recruit. All-State WR and Top 15 BBaller nationally.

cuseflynn10
cuseflynn10's picture
Draft

Dave Winfield, Mickey McCarty, and Dave Logan are the only players to get drafted in three different sports. Winfield was the only one drafted 4 times though. That's ridiculous. Imagine hearing your name called on 4 different occasions.

Krypt14
I thought Bo Jackson got

I thought Bo Jackson got drafted to the NBA, or maybe offered a contract..?

Krypt14
I thought Bo Jackson got

I thought Bo Jackson got drafted to the NBA, or maybe offered a contract..?

RSS: Syndicate content