Thoughts on 2008 prospects
What are your thoughts on the following 2008 Draft prospects now that they have been in the league for a while?
- Derrick Rose-
- Michael Beasley-
- O.J. Mayo-
- Russell Westbrook-
- Kevin Love-
- Danilo Gallinari-
- Eric Gordon-
- Brook Lopez-
- Jerryd Bayless-
- Anthony Randolph-
- JaVale McGee-
- George Hill-
- Mario Chalmers-
- DeAndre Jordan-
- Bill Walker-
1. Derrick Rose
2. Russell Westbrook
4. Brook Lopez
5. Eric Gordon - might be higher if he could stay healthy
6. Michael Beasley
7. Danilo Gallinari
8. O.J. Mayo
9. George Hill
10. DeAndre Jordan
11. JaVale McGee
12. Mario Chalmers
13. Jerryd Bayless
14. Anthony Randolph
15. Bill Walker
- Derrick Rose- Hands down arguably the best player out of this class. As of now he is a LOCK for the MVP, the question is will he lead his team to getting the award that amounts the most.
- Michael Beasley- I said it while he was in Miami, all he needed was a change of scenery to become the player he is today. He will never be an All-Star but that does not mean he will never be a star player when his career is over.
- O.J. Mayo- Out of all the prospects on the list his situation is very sad. This is a guy who has been a starter since the 7th Grade, to now come off the bench & get less than 20 minutes a night. He deserves a new change of scenery as well. I really don't think the 6th man role fits him well at all.
- Russell Westbrook- If Iverson was 6'3'' this would be the end result. He reminds me of a bigger version of Iverson at G'Town/Rookie year in Philly, by the way he comes through the lane & dunks on anyone. Couple more years of play like this he will be a Top 3 PG in the league.
- Kevin Love- I knew he was a beast, but never knew he was so driven to have 50+ consecutive games worth double-doubles. This guy is a Hall of Famer already.
- Danilo Gallinari- I got bashed for this before, but I'm going to say this again.....I believe he has the potential to be the BEST foreign player in the league.
- Eric Gordon- Health-health-health. Health is a major issue for this guy, for him to be such well built he has a problem with staying healthy. Has the potential to give you 20ppg any given night.
- Brook Lopez- I don't know when this guy is going to get it together on the boards. He does well in every other category except rebounding.
- Jerryd Bayless- 1 of my favorite players in the league. 4 teams in 3 years is not a good look, I pray he doesn't become a career journeyman ala Jimmy Jackson. I honestly think that if Toronto gets rid of Calderon, he has a permanent home. Although he is better suited as a 2 he can play the 1 & will be a 1 whenever he gets the opportunity.
- Anthony Randolph- I have so many mixed thoughts on him. I honestly don't know if he is fools gold or not. He had a good year in Golden State & once he got to New York he faded away. Hopefully he gets back on track so no one will right him off as a Lotto bust.
- JaVale McGee- So 1 demensional. JaVale is a shot blocking machine that goes all out on the defensive end, but he needs to work on the offensive end more than defensive. All he needs is a Hall of Famer vet such as Hakeem Olajuwon to work on his post moves like Ewing/Abdul-Jabar has worked with Dwight & Bynum.
- George Hill- When or if Tony Parker ever leaves we will forget all about him from the way Hill plays. I really underestimated this guy, but he has played solid ball.
- Mario Chalmers- Will never be more then just a role player/spot up shooter. This guy got overpaid coming into the league solely off a National title shot. He is not a PG & never will be one, he is in the way.
- DeAndre Jordan- Most dominate Center in the game is Dwight Howard. Once DeAndre puts all the pieces together he will be in a arguement for being a Top 5 Center in the league.
- Bill Walker- Surprised the sh*t out of me with his outside shot. Bill has came along way from being just strictly an athlete who dunks 10 times out of 10. He is shooting over 40% from the 3. I never thought he would work on his game aside from being just a dunker, but hey when you have 2 major knee injuries you have no choice but to elevate your game to stick around.
I think this has been a solid class. The top 5 players from this class could rival any than the LeBron-Melo-Bosh class. I do think Beasley is overrated tho. I know he is having a good year, but it's on a bad team. He is a player without a true position. I don't know if he could be a starter on any team fighting for a playoff spot this year.
I think Beasley could play for a team like Denver or New York & not lose a beat.
Whose spot would he take tho? Make Amare play the Center in NY, Play the 3 in Denver?
I was just speaking in general. You said he is flourishing on a bad team & would not be able to do it on a good one. Those are 2 systems I see that would work for him.
Looking at this makes me realized how good that draft was. I think Mayo will rekindle his game somewhere else hopefully next year.
Gordon will show people that he is an elite 2 guard if he can stay healthy especially with the Clippers on the come up with Blake Griffin, DJ, 2 solid point guard in Mo Williams/Bledsoe. They have money, a young small forward in Aminu with unlimited potential, Chris Kaman's contract or service depending on what they with him. Gordon could stay healthy and help lead the Clips like OKC did this year and the past year.
Gallo could wind up being the man in Denver but I am sensing he will take his talents elsewhere and be a top 10 scorer.
Bayless should learn from Billups in how to be a playmaker and work on his shot. I think people forget that Billups came in as a scorer. He was not the athlete Bayless is though
I just wish some team throws minutes at Randolph just to see if he can develop and if he doesnt drop him but if he does than you have a very talented player. I think he will be that talented player but I will not be sad if he gets dropped for a better player in the future.
George Hill should try to get moved now when more teams are needing a good point guard. I think he could go somewhere and get comparisons to Rondo but with a better jump shot. He will not be the future in San Antonio and he needs to realize this and move on and be a starter on a team that really needs his services. I wonder if Knicks can find a way to get him.
Bill Walker has made himself a lot of money compared to what he is making now but he needs to work on getting smaller so that he does not get injured as much and can play more minutes. He may not get the time in New York but I am sure other teams have eyes on him.