With these 2010 salaries Detroit might as well....

PurpleMonkeyDis...
PurpleMonkeyDishwasher's picture
With these 2010 salaries Detroit might as well....

With these 2010 salary cap numbers Detroit might as well fire Joe Dumars now... These are all considered bad contracts other than Tayshaun Prince's since he's in the final year off his contract and can still play.

Is there any team in the league worse off? I think Detroit needs to give David Kahn a call since Dumars makes him look like a genious.

Detroit Pistons Roster - 2010-11

NO. NAME POS AGE HT WT COLLEGE 2010 - 2011 SALARY

7 Ben Gordon SG 27 6-3 200 Connecticut $10,800,000 for 13.8 pts per game and no def.

32 Richard Hamilton SG 32 6-7 193 Connecticut $12,500,000 for 18.1 pt.s per game, .409 shting %

54 Jason Maxiell PF 27 6-7 260 Cincinnati $5,000,000 for 6.8 pts per game and 5.3 rebs.

22 Tayshaun Prince SF 30 6-9 215 Kentucky $11,148,760 for 13.5 pts. per game and 5.1 reb

31 Charlie Villanueva PF 25 6-11 232 Connecticut $7,020,000 for 11.9 pts per game and 4.7 reb

9 Chris Wilcox PF 27 6-10 235 Maryland $3,000,000 for 4.5 pts per game amd 3.4 reb (sounds like bargain compared to the others)
as per espn.com

llperez
llperez's picture
ive been ripping on dumars

ive been ripping on dumars since last summer. The single worst thing he did in my book was the rip extension. He trades his best player in billups for an expiring contract in iverson which made me think "okay, hes gonna go into rebuilding mode, understandable". Nope, he then immediately turns around and gives rip a huge way overpriced extension. Why on earht did he dump billups for cap relief if he is gonna extend rip? Made no sense to me since bilups has always been more valuable to that team then rip. He then turns around and signs ben gordon to come in and come off the bench and play pretty much the same role rip does.

mrknowitall313
he the worst gm in the

he the worst gm in the league! and im from detroit. he is terrible at drafting and adding talent except the trades to get billings and sheed and drafting prince.

PurpleMonkeyDis...
Billups

Billups has been doubted his entire career... Minnesota wanted to keep him and he wanted to stay but Flip wouldn't promise him a starting job over Terrell Brandon. How sad is that? The fortune of the entire Minnesota franchise changed on Flip granting a starting position to a guy that ends up taking Saunders to the finals with Detroit how many times?

Platypus
Platypus's picture
Rip Hamilton needs to be

Rip Hamilton needs to be traded for an expitring contract for who ever wants it

PurpleMonkeyDis...
Symbol

The problem is nobody is or will be interested until it becomes an "expiring contract".

NashyMing
NashyMing's picture
RIP was extended b4 Billups was traded

The funniest part of the RIP HAM extension was that he was extended right before Billups was traded!

RIP thought he would be playing with Billups so he signed the extension and then the next day, Billups was gone and AI joined the team.

I think RIP actually went public in saying he would not have signed so quickly if he knew Billups would be traded.

Anyway, Dumars seemed drunk when he traded Billups, it didn't make sense at all. Then, he turned AI's expiring contract into overpaying Ben Gordon and Charlie V were obvious panic move in using the cap space. He should have been patient with the cap space.

Everyone knew Ben Gordon was insane to ask for 10mil a year as a 6th man. and somehow, Dumars managed to buy into that. Charlie V probably didn't expect the big contract either.

There's rumor that Hammond (who worked for Dumars) was actually the person the assembled the Piston Champion team, so once he left for Milwakee, Dumars managed to screw up and completely destroyed his "legacy" as a "good" GM.

Platypus
Platypus's picture
idea

Rip, Maxiell, and Prince for ak47

Williams - Price
Bell - Hamilton - Miles
Hayword - Prince - Miles
Milsap - Maxiell
Jefferson - Okur

Stuckey - Bynum (they wanna sign him)
Gordon - White
Ak47 - Daye - Summers
Jerebko - Charlie V - Wilcox
Monroe - Wallace - Wilcox

NashyMing
NashyMing's picture
On the bright side

The Pistons actually have a few players under rookie contract that should develop into decent players.

Stuckey would be a good......6th man. Although he's not a PG that Dumars envisioned to be (he actually thought Stuckey would be better than Billups...too bad), Stuckey can score. Somehow, he duplicated this by signing Ben Gordon though.

Greg Monroe seems to be pretty solid and should develop into a pretty skillful big man. 17pt 8rb 5as in a few years is very possible.

Austin Daye showed some improvements in the summer league, he can develop into a pretty good scorer and play long-arm defense (learning from TPrince).

DaJuan Summers also has potential to develop into a solid role player.

Jerebko already showed that he's a pretty solid combo forward that can play tough.

Terrico White should be a steal for the Pistons. If he reaches his potential, he can be near all-star level.

llperez
llperez's picture
realgm, are you sure about

realgm, are you sure about that? I could swear i remeber them trading billups and then when iverson came over and there was some bickering about playing time and who was gonna come off the bench, then dumars extended rip saying that he did it just to make sure rip felt comfortable he was part of the future and his spot was safe.

btown gm
some gms are make me wonder

detortit is just one of the teams that has some stupid contaracts that should never have been offered in the first place. now they have prince, hamilton, charlie-v, rip, ben gordan, maxiel who are all making big money for guys who arnt winning. prince, hamilton are the only 2 left and theyll soon be gone 2. u might not have notuced but all dumars was doing is trying replace his old squad with similar younger versions
previous/ present

billups/stuckey- 2 big gaurds that can play d and r physical
hamilton(still present but not the same)/ gordon- 2 scores who are great off screans
prince/ daye- long athletic wings who can play d and score
r-wallace/charlie v - bigs wgo can shoot the 3
b wallace/ maxiel- undersized rebounde

luckey they ot a c mornre now to help these guys on offesne

Mr.Knick 32
Mr.Knick 32's picture
Rip was extended AFTER the

Rip was extended AFTER the Billups trade.

I think the Pistons need to reboot the roster. The only players I would keep are Austin Daye, Jonas Jerebko, Greg Monroe and Terrico White. I think they need to look to deal some of these players.

I think Charlie Villaneuava would be someone Orlando would be interested in

Ben Gordon- He's a dead contract, might as well keep him.

Richard Hamilton- I think Utah would be a nice spot for him

Tyshaun Prince- DEAL HIM NOW. He's a expiring contract and I think a 2011 1st round pick can be acquired from a Prince deal

BothTeamsPlayedHard
BothTeamsPlayedHard's picture
"he the worst gm in the

"he the worst gm in the league! and im from detroit. he is terrible at drafting and adding talent except the trades to get billings and sheed and drafting prince."

Except for those moves that made them the only team in NBA history to win a title without a Hall-of-Famer and a legit contender for six years, he can't do anything right. Oh except drafting Monroe and Jerebko. Oh and Stuckey isn't half bad. Finding Will Bynum in Turkey wasn't awful either.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExWfh6sGyso

sheltwon3
sheltwon3's picture
My Arenas trade is good thing

My Arenas trade is good thing to consider to move Hamilton and Charlie V who we all know is not worth that contract.

fastdan
Rip was definetly extended

Rip was definetly extended before Billups was traded. Read this article, probably the best I've ever read on an athlete. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=090511/billups

Here's the snippet that's important to this debate though:

"He begins packing at the team hotel, when there's a knock on the door. It's Hamilton and Prince, the trio together one last time. They embrace, cry, laugh and reminisce. They call Ben Wallace, a Cavalier now, and put him on speaker phone. Wallace tells them, "I told you how they are." Hamilton is the most affected of all. He has just signed an extension, and he tells Chauncey he wants to be traded now, that if he'd known they were going to trade Chauncey, he never would've re-upped in Detroit."

llperez
llperez's picture
i just googled it. Both the

i just googled it. Both the billups trade and the rip extension happend the same day on november 3rd 2008. The billups trade was publicly announced first and then the rip extension was announced later with the statement along the lines of "we want to make it clear that despite or changes to the backcourt, we want rip to be a part of future". So i guess it basically happened at the same time.

PurpleMonkeyDis...
llperez

The beginning of the end of a good run.

Ang Puti Lalaki
Ang Puti Lalaki's picture
I Miss Isiah!!

If Isiah was still with the Knicks, Dumars would not ever be considered as the worst!!!

RSS: Syndicate content