thats it, im now officially 100% on the players side

llperez
llperez's picture
thats it, im now officially 100% on the players side

mike connley for 9 mill per and jared dudley signed for about 4.5 mill per. Im done seeing the owners side on this upcoming labor talk stuff. Conley is one of the worst starting pg's in the lague and dudley is a role player who should be no more then a 9th or 10th man in this league. I have zero sympathy for the owners if they cant keep themselves from spending stupidly.

Hale
Hale's picture
Jared Dudley isn't that bad.

Jared Dudley isn't that bad. He is a very good shooter and a solid defender, and since he arrived in Phoenix he has gotten much better. I do agree with you, I'm on the players side as well. Just sticking up for my Suns.

llperez
llperez's picture
dudley is not that bad. But i

dudley is not that bad. But i think he was overpaid. I havent seen the grizz play yet this year, so if conley has shown some huge strides since last year then my appologies. BUt that dude is not worth 9 mill. If teams spend like this, then everyone in the league is gonna be getting paid and if they cant resist from overspending then thats on them. Let the players get their money.

llperez
llperez's picture
i mean the suns just gave

i mean the suns just gave frye 6 mill and now dudley 5 mill. Thats 11 mill for 2 bench players. No wonder teams are in the red every year losing money.

Hale
Hale's picture
I agree with your point

I agree with your point completely. Not many pg's in the NBA deserve 9 mil, let alone one who has underachieved. Most Suns fans from what I've read are happy about extedning Dudley and it wasn't a ton more then what he was currently making. I liked the signing but obviously were entitled to different opinions. But everything else you've you said I agree with 100%.

EDIT: Frye is not worth 6 million. Dudley is much more valuable to the team then Frye is, Frye should have gotten like 3 year 9 million tops.

RUDEBOY_
RUDEBOY_'s picture
The signing of Conley kind of

The signing of Conley kind of puzzled me a bit..I felt they should've waited to see what his value will be on the market next year..But giving an inconsistent point guard 9 million a year ..When your 2 most important players in Randolph & Gasol will be free agents next year..Teams feared having to face Z-Bo & Gasol in the post,more then they did Rudy & OJ on the perimeter..Gay & Mayo are the team's 2 most talented players ..But losing Z-Bo and Gasol will put the Grizzlies back in the top 5 worst teams in the league...

omphalos
omphalos's picture
Could be the Grizzlies are

Could be the Grizzlies are hoping for some strides from Thabeet this season so they can let Z-Bo go and slide Gasol over to the 4. However, it's far more likely that the team owner is sick of being called cheap and has decided to spend a little as a PR move without much consideration for how good it is for the team.

llperez
llperez's picture
certain players are major

certain players are major pieces and deserve to get paid. But if you are not in the top 8 of a rotation, then you can fill out rosters with bargain guys. Rasual butler, matt barnes and quentin richardson were all free agents this summer and play the same role as dudley and they got half what he got and for less years. Those are bargains.

Im not just trying to make this about dudley or conley, but all summer long i keep seeing these deals being given out and im thinking to myslef no way are these owners struggling that bad. That or they are just dumb and dont deserve to make money on an nba franchise.

bkballer
This is pathetic 9 mill a

This is pathetic 9 mill a year for a PG thats not even top 15 in the league....

RUDEBOY_
RUDEBOY_'s picture
that conley deal will have a

that conley deal will have a ton of players that will say if conley got 9 million i'm worth 15....owners just keep screwing up...

Hale
Hale's picture
Dudley is also younger then

Dudley is also younger then all 3, a better shooter then Butler and Barnes imo and an energy guy great for the locker room, also he is top 8 in the rotation. I get he was slightly overpaid which is the general theme of the topic but he is a fan favorite for the Suns and a guy most Suns are extremely happy to get locked up for awhile.

EDIT: I mean giving out 4.5 million to a guy the fans love, who is young, a solid piece and a great team guy isn't the worst you can do. Darko, Amir and Joe Johnson, Rudy Gay, Frye, Conley deals were all worse.

esperanzafleet69
esperanzafleet69's picture
conley getting extended is

conley getting extended is one of the most RIDICULOUS things ive ever seen...that contract instantly becomes one of the worst in the league...

Chrischi
Yes Conley got overpaid. But

Yes Conley got overpaid.

But I don't think Dudley did at all. There are alot worse players who get more money than he did.

JNixon
JNixon's picture
I don't see what's so bad

I don't see what's so bad about Dudkey getting 4 million a year. Not if it's more than 3 or 4 years.

RUDEBOY_
RUDEBOY_'s picture
yeah Dudley's deal isnt that

yeah Dudley's deal isnt that bad..but there are tons of guys that can provide what he does...Conley's deal is what shocked me...Can they afford to sign both ZBo and Gasol ?

llperez
llperez's picture
dudley is getting 23 mill

dudley is getting 23 mill over 5 years. If owners are really struggling, thats to much money for a role player. They already got hill, childress and hedo at sf making good money.

Hale
Hale's picture
Hill doesn't have too much

Hill doesn't have too much time left in this league. Childress and Hedo are 3 games into their PHX careers, who knows how long they will be there. And Dudley usually replaces Richardson when he goes in anyway, I'm just glad to have him. Great role player and provides 3 important aspects in shooting, defense and energy.

kanyedabest
kanyedabest's picture
dudley gettin 5 mill, frye 6

dudley gettin 5 mill, frye 6 mill, warrick gettin bucks, HEDO gettin 10 mill...........but u wont pay amare 19 mill/????

conley deal is absurd

Hale
Hale's picture
Amare is my 2nd favorite

Amare is my 2nd favorite player, I would've paid him and let Frye walk (or if he accepted paid much less) and not picked up Hedo. Dudley is more valuable then those others anyway. Warrick wasn't a bad pickup either.

Mr.Knick 32
Mr.Knick 32's picture
This is the issue. Conley for

This is the issue.

Conley for 9 mil when you could have gotten Rubio for rookie deal?

Dudley is paid about right. I think he's underrated.

B-ball fan
I agree with most of the

I agree with most of the posters that Dudley is paid what he is worth. He will be making about the average salary for an NBA player.

The Conley deal is ridiculous. If Memphis is to make the next step, they need a new, improved pg. Conley has been in the league a while, and has never been a top 20 pg. Memphis is one of the worst passing and pick and roll teams in the entire NBA, a chief cause of which is poor pg play. Conley also doesn't really provide scoring or super efficient shooting. I think Memphis will regret this deal before the season is over.

sheltwon3
sheltwon3's picture
Dudley contract seems

Dudley contract seems reasonable but the thing is Suns was competing against themselves and overpaid him . If owner are really hurting, Dudley should not get this deal. Also owners are trying to trim current NBA contracts and yet they give these deals away. Owners are not making money because they are stupid or have hired stupid people.

SubZero
SubZero's picture
Conley is overpaid, but he

Conley is overpaid, but he has been playing better this year. He's averaging 15 points, 8 assists, 5 rebounds, and 4 steals. Isn't worth 9 million, but I think they should keep him

sheltwon3
sheltwon3's picture
I agree that should keep him

I agree that should keep him but not at 8 to 9 million.

llperez
llperez's picture
if the grizz want to keep him

if the grizz want to keep him for 8 or 9 mill per, fine. ANd if they want to give gay the max, then fine. But dont tell me about how you are struggling and are osing millions and must have a lockout. If i were a gm, i would be looking around for bargains everywhere i could and saving the big bucks for the stars.

BothTeamsPlayedHard
BothTeamsPlayedHard's picture
The thing is, the current CBA

The thing is, the current CBA is actually structured as well as any in US sports. It ties the players' share to revenues and does not artificially cap spending of high revenue teams to benefit the lower ones but uses the tax to subsidize them. I don't think there needs to be a complete overhaul, and I am sure part of the reason David Stern and Adam Silver are throwing out anything and everything is that they don't have a better plan that would be ok'ed by both the likes of the Lakers and Knicks as well as the Bucks and Grizzlies. In the end, I think that the pool will be so dirtied by the inevitable NFL lockout that the NBA gets something done to save itself from the bad pub. The players' share will go down to about half, years on contracts will go down, annual raises maxes will go down, and roster exceptions will either go away or be reduced.

mj23mj23bestever
conley did get over paid for sure but imo they had to keep him

totally agree he got over paid but they grizz are trying to build around the young nucleus of conley mayo gay and gasol i think gasol will stay with zbo being the odd man odd also agree dudley is paid what his value is bascically makin the ave rage salary and hes an aver age nba player so it makes sense imo

OhCanada-
OhCanada-'s picture
The owners do it on

The owners do it on purpose..Cmon do you really think they are losing money from this? Owners are not losing money, dont believe the hype. They build up Salary Caps, Cap Rules, etc, etc. But the only thing that matters to the owners is the income, (unless your madman billionaire Mark Cuban). The owners feel like the CBA they created isnt making them enough money so if they keep giving players high contracts they can get together and say "well hey, you players are costing too much, we need a new CBA", but if they appropriatly spend their money and make decent offers they will have no arguement for a new CBA thus losing money in the long run.

There are no extreme fanancial losses in NBA basketball, they just want more money.

llperez
llperez's picture
i disagree ohcanada. I do

i disagree ohcanada. I do absolutely think they are losing money. Even the players union has admitted they realize the nba is losing money. Nobody is really questioning if the nba is losing money. Its just a matter of how much and why.

RSS: Syndicate content