Team Canada: FIBA top 10 in 2016?

tli232
Team Canada: FIBA top 10 in 2016?

This is what Canada's talent pool might look like in 2016. Do you guys think theres a chance of being a top 10 FIBA ranked nation heading into those olympics?)

PGs:

1. Cory Joseph (likely to be a solid NBA backup or fringe starter in 4 years)

2. Myck Kabongo (Likely late lotto pick next year; could be playing like young T.J. Ford by 2016.

3. Kevin Pangos (Will likely be a 4 year player at Gonzaga who is a second round pick)

Wings:

1. Andrew Wiggins (He'll be 21 by 2016; probably at least making starter-level contributions in the NBA)

2. (It's gonna be a reach here on down) Negus Webster-Chan? (Committed to Mizzou, 3 star prospect. I like his game)

3. Kris Joseph? (I think he's not gonna find a place in the NBA, doesn't have a go-to-skill at the NBA level

4. Anthony Bennet? (5 star recruit. Probably a mid first round combo forward after a couple years at UNLV)

Bigs:

1. Tristan Thompson (in 1 year, has shown that he can become a solid starting 4-man based on his rebounding and defensive activity alone; in 2016, probably an average NBA starting 4)

2. Andrew Nicholson (Likely a fringe starter/ solid backup by 2016)

3. Joel Anthony (will provide veteran leadership and defense)

4. Robert Sacre (probably a solid player in Europe at that point in time)

5. Kyle Wiltjer (Jury still out on him, yet to have a big role at Kentucky)

6. Khem Birch (UNLV should do him some good, no idea how he'll pan out though)

7. *Wildcards* Bhullar Brothers (Older one will be 24 with 4 years at New Mexico State)

Does this team go in the top 10 in world rankings? I'd love to hear feedback. My Canadian friends are saying it's a done deal, but I'm not so sure.

BleedingBlue
BleedingBlue's picture
There's a legit chance that a

There's a legit chance that a team like that will get on the podium at the 2016 Olympics

Golden State of Mind
They have to qualify first.

They have to qualify first. Then we can talk about medals.

joshinator1
You could also add to the

You could also add to the list

Andy Rautins (played for Syracuse) and Brady Heslip (from Baylor) to add some shooting to that team because you really need shooting in international play and in case someone gets injuried

And also Joel Anthony for a veteran defensive big man

J_01
Could also add...

4 star 2013 SG Nik Stauskas - Michigan

5 star 2013 SG Xavier Rathan-Mayes

4 star 2013 PG Tyler Ennis

5 star 2014 PF Trey Lyles - committed to Indiana

some others that aren't that highly ranked that could be solid as well: Naz Long (Iowa St), Stefan Jankovic (Missouri), Dyshawn Pierre (Dayton).

Canada in the last few years has done pretty well in junior competions and if players continue to mature and develop, Canada could become top team in international basketball especially if Andrew Wiggins does become the superstar he has the potential to be.

ENOGSIWONdede
Joel Anthony will be too old

Joel Anthony will be too old by then

R-Dot-13
R-Dot-13's picture
Canadas basketball has really

Canadas basketball has really being getting good over the past few years. And it's really being taken seriously. I actually said yesterday to my dad that next olympics I think Canada has a legit chance at podium...

fgrrghg
matt bonner will still be

matt bonner will still be lighting it up in 2016

joecheck88
joecheck88's picture
I think their year may be

I think their year may be 2020, that team will still be way too young.

GoJOSH HUESTIS
GoJOSH HUESTIS's picture
I'll take Spain and argentina

I'll take Spain and argentina on top of the USA. People forget they have slightly older and younger as well as same age kids who are just as good or better. We just don't hear much about them because they don't play H.S or college basketball out here. But they are playing pro and will be ready

Sewok15
Sewok15's picture
Canada is the new Europe.

Canada is the new Europe.

GoJOSH HUESTIS
GoJOSH HUESTIS's picture
Let's see if these players

Let's see if these players every pan out first before anointing them the new anything. They didn't even make this Olympics so they have a very Looooooooooooooong way to go. Have to prove you even belong before dreaming of winning it

Rigelz
Sport is sport

As a sport increases in popularity so there are more and more contenders. This is the life. Canada has very interesting moment with its young players, but we cannot forget Spain, Argentina, Lithuania, France....Serbia and Croatia are always near the top.... even England now has a decent team! Ten years ago they were unpresentable. This is "globalization," when a sport becomes global the competition itself becomes global. Some years ago it was Argentina the main US rival, now it's the moment of Spain, tomorrow i'm nearly sure it will be Canada, may be in twenty years it will be, Brasil, or China, or Italy or, Nigeria... we'll see. The important thing is to be always near the "vertex"... you can win or lose but you have to be there. The real strength of US basketball is being always close to maxim levels.

draft2017
possibly samuel dalembert

possibly samuel dalembert

European Baller
This thread is a comedy.

This thread is a comedy.

That team has no chance in hell at being a top 10 level in the world, much less winning medals in world tournaments.

You guys need to lay off the drugs.

I mean seriously - stop smoking crack.

European Baller
I'll take Spain and argentina

I'll take Spain and argentina on top of the USA. People forget they have slightly older and younger as well as same age kids who are just as good or better. We just don't hear much about them because they don't play H.S or college basketball out here. But they are playing pro and will be ready

Argentina? They have a small handfull of semi decent young players, with only one that has any chance to be great. They will be lucky to even win a bronze at Americas in the years to come.

Spain's future of winning medals will almost immeiately end as soon as Pau and Navarro stop playing. Spain would not sniff a medal at any of the 3 major tournaments without them. And their upcoming generations are simply nothing more than average by European standards.

GoJOSH HUESTIS
GoJOSH HUESTIS's picture
The same young Argentina team

The same young Argentina team that was 2 points away from beating Canada in the bronze medal game of the u18 team. Yep. Seems they have zero future or the u 19 team who was in the same position

European Baller
As a sport increases in

As a sport increases in popularity so there are more and more contenders. This is the life. Canada has very interesting moment with its young players, but we cannot forget Spain, Argentina, Lithuania, France....Serbia and Croatia are always near the top.... even England now has a decent team! Ten years ago they were unpresentable. This is "globalization," when a sport becomes global the competition itself becomes global. Some years ago it was Argentina the main US rival, now it's the moment of Spain, tomorrow i'm nearly sure it will be Canada, may be in twenty years it will be, Brasil, or China, or Italy or, Nigeria... we'll see. The important thing is to be always near the "vertex"... you can win or lose but you have to be there. The real strength of US basketball is being always close to maxim levels.

Please get serious.

GoJOSH HUESTIS
GoJOSH HUESTIS's picture
Yea at makes sense because

Yea at makes sense because before Paul Spain was nothing and there's no way players in argentina will get better as thy get older. GTFOH

J_01
Canada

Why are some people trying to make such a big deal about Canada possibly being top 10 in the future? Canada has done really well in junior competitions lately and all the players mentioned are going to be playing D1 college basketball in the US. Also in recent years the number of Canadian players in the NBA has been steadily increasing. It is not so impossible that Canada becomes top 10 in the world in the future. It is true that teams like Spain and Argentina will also improve as their junior teams also have some good young talent, but you can't deny that the increase of talent over the last couple of years in Canada has been the most drastic. With the top ranked high school prospect in the world right now (arguable) in Andrew Wiggins he'll be a great guy to build the national team around. Canada has a bright future and if players pan out and live up to their potential there is no doubt that Canada could end up as one of the better teams in international basketball.

European Baller
Everyone that posted in this

Everyone that posted in this thread besides me is nuts.

LerinErin
Thanks for that objective

Post. Are you currently reading how to win friends and influence people.?

moochiee
lol you're a dumbass European

lol you're a dumbass European Baller, top 10 is easily reachable for Canada if their past FIBA finishes are any indication.

mikeyvthedon
mikeyvthedon's picture
Still think it will take a bit more time

Nonetheless, Canada is starting to get actual depth and have possible go-to players, which is pretty exciting and a chance to believe they can make the next Olympics. I do not know about top 10, but I certainly feel that moving up to the 12-14 range is possible in the near future. Canada is currently 24th in the world and have a pretty fair amoung of ground to make up:

http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/even/rank/p/openNodeIDs/943/selNodeID/9...

At the very least, the expectations are going to be much higher and Canada will actually have a mind set of competing for a medal rather than the usual one of that being unobtainable at the Men's level. The last time Canada won a medal was in the 1936 Olympics (Silver, at least) and I would say the last really legit team Canada had competing for one was in 2000. Canada finished 5-2 and barely lost out to eventual Silver medalist France in the quarterfinals (68-63). Lithuania was more than likely the 2nd best team in said Olympics, but Canada was up there.

That team had a player who could compete at a high level against any competition, Steve Nash. Ever since Nash left the Canadian Basketball team, they have not been close to the same. He had some help, but separated them from the pack. With Andrew Wiggins, Canada Basketball is looking at an athlete who indeed can compete with ANYBODY. Of course he still needs work and will be pretty young at the next Olympics (think 2020 will be when the medal will be expected, if the Olympic format remains without an age limit). Andrew has the speed to be an absolute menace on both ends of the floor and the ability to be much of what Nash was as the de-facto go-to player.

The PG position will be pretty well taken care of. There will actually be selection from Cory Joseph, Myck Kabongo, Kevin Pangos and Tyler Ennis (who is a really solid 1 prospect in his last year of HS. Also, do not count out Kevin Zabo). Their will be shooting in a few players tli left out who will likely be on the squad, Andy Rautins and Xavier Rathan-Mayes. Negus Webster-Chan was originally a player many were high on, but his hype has cooled down quite a bit. Still a decent option, just feel that he would be behind those guys on the depth chart (already was behind X at Huntington Prep). Nonetheless, this is a stable of guards that provides a good deal of depth and versatility.

You of course have Andrew Wiggins, who can play either wing spot. Kris Joseph should get valuable experience either in the NBA or overseas, along with the fact that veteran team members Denham Brown and Carl English will still more than likely be around. The biggest issue for this team could be in the middle. As much as I love how Tristan Thompson and Andrew Nicholson will complement each other, not to mention that they both provide great length, they are not typical international bigs. This could work to Canada's advantage at times, but when you play the countries with the true low post guys, they could definitely struggle.

I see Anthony Bennett as a likely stretch 4 who can play 3 at times. He will provide nice athleticism and a strong body that should fit the team very well. Trey Lyles and Kyle Wiltjer also should be definite possibilities and I would be surprised if one or both were not in heavy consideration in 4 years time (especially Wiltjer, who will be done with college and probably have quite a bit more girth). Their is a deep stable of bigs, just not necessarily with the combination of talent and skill that other countries will possess. This is an area for growth and again something I feel will probably become quite a bit more solid in the 2020 Olympics as opposed to 2016.

Canada is indeed producing quite a bit more basketball talent and I give a lot of credit to the Canada basketball and of course these kids who are really working on turning Canada into a competitive country. European Baller, while I agree that the team above does not seem like a top 10 basketball power at the moment, I would like to know what your rankings are. You sure talk a big game, just never really back it up with anything whatsoever. Greece came in 9th and 10th in the past two U16 European Championships. They came 14th and 8th in the past two European U18's (with this years yet to happen).

I know that Greece won in 2008 and came in third in 2007, just saying that it seems like the new generation of Greek basketball players is not exactly blowing Spain, Lithuania, Turkey or France out of the water. I know those same boys did pretty well in the U20's in 2009 and 2010 (1st in 2009 and 2nd in 2010). Also know that they came in 14th and 8th in the last two. So, just saying your team is not exactly killing these Canadian boys.

Andrew Wiggins is a player I truly believe is the best 1995 born prospect I have seen. I know he went up against Mario Hezonja in the past and has done quite well against him. He played with a group of players born between 1992-94 in the Nike Hoop Summit and was indeed, the best player on the team. Led them in scoring, led them to a victory (with definite support from some really nice European prospects, but was indeed their go-to guy and player relied upon). Now, this is not saying that Andrew will definitely make them medalists or get them to top 10 status if everything remains the same in the 2016 Olympic system. What it does mean is, I do not think Canada is even close to the joke you seem to think they are. Tell me who will be better before completely laughing them off and coming up with statements like that about Argentina and Spain.

European Baller
lol you're a dumbass European

lol you're a dumbass European Baller, top 10 is easily reachable for Canada if their past FIBA finishes are any indication.

You are out of your freaking mind.

If you really think there are not 10 federations with better talent in 2016 then you sure the hell know nothing about basketball.

USA

Croatia

Serbia

Greece

Lithuania

Slovenia

Turkey

Russia

Lithuania

France

Right there just off the top of my head I named 10 federations with much better young talent pools than what was posted here for Canada.

Hell, that proposed Canadian team couldn't even sniff touching the upcoming generations of Croatia, Greece, and Serbia.

moochiee
Jugding by the fact that your

Judging by the fact that your entire list outside of the USA is European countries, I assume that you're pretty ignorant to anything happening outside the continent.

Past Canadian finishes

2012 FIBA U17 World Championship - 5th

2010 FIBA U17 World Championship - 3rd

2011 FIBA U19 World Championship - 11th

2009 FIBA U19 World Championship - 7th

2007 FIBA U19 World Championship - 10th

Clearly as the past performances indicate, there is no doubt that Canada is at the very least in the discussion for top 10 in 2016. From the list of countries that you provided in those 5 tournaments France finished ahead of the Canadians once (2007), Turkey finished ahead of Canada once in 2007 as well and haven't even been able to qualify for one of those World Championships since. As well Slovenia didn't qualify for a single one of those either, and Russia's only appearance was in this last 2011 U19 tournament where they finished nicely in 3rd. Still I have no idea what basis your making your assessment on besides most likely a huge bias towards European countries. Soon enough the Canadian team could easily be filled with young talented NBA players, including a player that many believe to be a future superstar in Andrew Wiggins, so i really don't see what is so ludicrous about them being a top 10 team in the near future.

mikeyvthedon
mikeyvthedon's picture
Just wondering?

Do you ever have anything nice to say about people that play anywhere outside of the European Union (whether they play there now or started there before)? Certainly seems not. Not to mention, have you actually seen Andrew Wiggins or a majority of those players play? Well, we know the answer to my first question, guess that is the same answer to my second one.

Nonetheless, you can not make me dislike Greek basketball players. Just really dislike your general attitude and unwillingness to speak to people or spread awareness of these opinions you obviously feel strongly about. It is a waste.

RSS: Syndicate content