Steve Adams of New Zealand(2012 pitt commit)

McDunkin
McDunkin's picture
Steve Adams of New Zealand(2012 pitt commit)

Thought he was an interesting player since i saw he will be playing in the Adidas Nations for team Asia

“He’s about 6′10″, 6′11″, and about 225 or 230 pounds,” says Kenny McFadden, Adams’ coach in Wellington, as well as the Development Officer of basketball in the country. But I think he’s going to eventually be over 7′0″ feet. He’s only sixteen.”

According to McFadden, large is something that runs in the Adams family, both in numbers and the size of the people.

“He’s one of eighteen kids,” says McFadden, “and all the boys are around 6′10″ or 6′11″ and all the girls are 6′5″ or 6′6″. His sister, Valerie Vili, is an Olympic shot putt gold medal winner and is 6′6″. She’s the biggest woman you’ll ever see.”

Size is also one of Adams’ strength, and not just his height. “He has the biggest hands I’ve ever seen. I’ve never shook Shaq’s hand, but his may be the only that are bigger. When Jamie shook his hand for the first time, he said, ‘oh my God’”.

But don’t think Adams is not athletic, says McFadden.

“He has a huge vertical jump. And he can step out and shoot a three-pointer and has even brought the ball up the floor. We don’t have a lot of big men here and when we get one as big as Steve he could easily just stay down low and dominate everybody. But we teach what few big guys we have to do everything”. But his best physical asset, according to McFadden? “His aggressiveness. He’s extremely aggressive

Three weeks ago Adams led Team Wellington to the New Zealand U19 championship by scoring 33 points and grabbing 23 rebounds in the title game against North Harbour, an eye-catching performance that naturally led to tournament MVP honors and probably upped the Panthers’ interest in him in a big way. The year before, as a 15 year old, Adams was also the MVP of the New Zealand U17 championship as he led the Team Wellington U17s to that title as well with a 19 point performance. In addition to his club honors, Adams also started for the New Zealand U17 national team in the 2009 FIBA Oceania U17 championships as a 15 year old where he posted a line of 2.7 ppg, 8 rpg, and 2 bpg while matching up against the older and highly regarded Daniel Carlin of Australia.

http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2010-0711/meet-steven-adams-2012-pitt-co...

redheadedbastard
redheadedbastard's picture
boo new zealand

boo new zealand

Kinguy11
Will you be saying boo New

Will you be saying boo New Zealand when Steven Adams gets selected in the first round of the NBA Draft

RSS: Syndicate content