This topic contains 16 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar RUDEBOY_ 8 years, 7 months ago.

• Author
    2quick4u
    Participant

so wich players from the list would you take? like the title says it only counts the 80’s stats/accomplishments for the 80’s stars and for today’s stars, from season 2009-10 to 2015.

so here we go:

1. michael jordan vs kevin durant

stats/accomplishments: 

-jordan (5 seasons): 31.1 ppg/5.8 rb/5.5 ast + 1 mvp/3 scoring champ./3 all nba 1st/1 dpy

-durant (6 seasons): 28.5 ppg/7.4 rb/3.9 ast + 1mvp/4 scoring champ./5 all nba 1st

2.. dr.j vs kobe bryant

stats/accomplishments:

-dr.j (8 seasons): 21.8 ppg/6.3 rb/3.8 ast + 1 championship/1 mvp/5 all nba 1st

-kobe (6 seasons): 23.9 ppg/5.3 rb/5.4 ast + 1 championship/1 finals mvp/4 all nba 1st

3. charles barkley vs blake griffin

stats/accomplishments:

barkley (5 seasons): 21.4 ppg/11.7 rb/3.6 ast + 3 all-star/2 all nba 1st

-griffin (5 seasons): 21.5 ppg/9.7 rb/4 ast + 5 all-star

4. hakeem olajuwon vs dwight howard

stats/accomplishments:

hakeem (5 seasons); 23 ppg/12.1 rb/3 blk + 5 all-star/3 all nba 1st

-howard (5 seasons): 18.8 ppg/12.8 rb/2.1 blk + 5 all-star/3 all nba 1st/2 dpy

5. ralph sampson vs anthony davis

stats/accomplishments:

-sampson (6 seasons): 17.1 ppg/9.6 rb/1.7 blk + 4 all-stars

-davis (3 seasons): 19.7 ppg/9.5 rb/2,5 blk + 2 all-star/1 all nba 1st

6. kevin mchale vs pau gasol

stats/accomplishments:

mchale (10 seasons): 18.7 ppg/7.7 rb/1.6 blk + 3 nba championships/5 all-star/1 all nba 1st

-gasol (6 seasons): 17.4 ppg/10.3 rb/1.6 blk + 1 nba championship/3 all-stars

7. clyde drexler vs james harden

stats/accomplishments:

drexler (6 seasons): 19.9 ppg/5.9 rb/5.7 ast + 3 all-star

-harden (6 seasons): 19.7 ppg/4.3 rb/4.4 ast + 3 all-star/2 all nba 1s

8. bernard king vs carmelo anthony

stats/accomplishments:

king (10 seasons): 21.7 ppg/5.2 rb + 3 all-star/1 scoring champ./2 all nba 1st

-anthony (6 seasons): 26.1 ppg/6.9 rb + 6 all-star/1 scoring champ.

9. isiah thomas vs stephen curry

stats/accomplishments:

-thomas (9 seasons): 20.2 ppg/9.8 ast/2.1 stl + 1 championship/3 all nba 1st

-curry (6 seasons): 20.9 ppg/6.9 ast/1.7 stl + 1 championship/1 mvp/1 all nba 1st

10. dominique wilkins vs russell westbrook

stats/accomplishments:

-wilkins (7 seasons): 26.1 ppg/6.8 rb/2.5 ast + 4 all-star/1 scoring champ./1 all nba 1st

-westbrook (6 seasons): 22.5 ppg/5.4 rb/7.4 ast + 4 all-star/1 scoring champ.

canadabasketballisrisingcanadabasketballisrising
    canadabasketballisrising
    Participant

Jordan, Kobe, Barkley, Olojuwon, Davis, Mchale, Harden, Melo, Thomas (so close) , Wilkins.

canadabasketballisrisingcanadabasketballisrising
    canadabasketballisrising
    Participant

Jordan, Kobe, Barkley, Olojuwon, Davis, Mchale, Harden, Melo, Thomas (so close) , Wilkins.

ExumInferno
    Participant

No Bird or Magic, that seems strange to not have them mentioned.  Both are better than LeBron, and it seems that no mention of L James is strange too.

Still a good game to play, here are my picks.

Jordan, lots of points.

Erving, old Doctor versus old Kobe, an interesting choice.

Barkley, did more and didn’t have one of the best point guards, at 76ers, setting him up like Blake has today.

Olajuwon, he wasn’t a nightmare for his own team, or a Dwightmare.

Davis, Sampson was already breaking down with injuries.

McHale, he was close to MVP in maybe 1987, but they do have similar games with inside scoring and also blocks so that is a good pair to compare.

Harden, very close.  Drexler would have to go to Houston to win, maybe Harden will have the same story.

Carmelo, B King was too much trouble off the court for his teams.

Curry, maybe the shooting gets him the pick, or maybe he isn’t as mean as those Pistons were.

Wilkins, easily, he was always the top player on his team and Westbrook does play in the shadow of Durant.

ExumInferno
    Participant

No Bird or Magic, that seems strange to not have them mentioned.  Both are better than LeBron, and it seems that no mention of L James is strange too.

Still a good game to play, here are my picks.

Jordan, lots of points.

Erving, old Doctor versus old Kobe, an interesting choice.

Barkley, did more and didn’t have one of the best point guards, at 76ers, setting him up like Blake has today.

Olajuwon, he wasn’t a nightmare for his own team, or a Dwightmare.

Davis, Sampson was already breaking down with injuries.

McHale, he was close to MVP in maybe 1987, but they do have similar games with inside scoring and also blocks so that is a good pair to compare.

Harden, very close.  Drexler would have to go to Houston to win, maybe Harden will have the same story.

Carmelo, B King was too much trouble off the court for his teams.

Curry, maybe the shooting gets him the pick, or maybe he isn’t as mean as those Pistons were.

Wilkins, easily, he was always the top player on his team and Westbrook does play in the shadow of Durant.

PulseGlazer
    Participant

1. Jordan because stop comparing people to Jordan already.

2. Kobe – Dr. J was incredible, but at his best in the ABA where defense was… optional.

3. Charles – could play away from the hoop without his rebounding suffering. 

4. Olajuwon – I refuse to dignify this nonsense.

5. Probably AD eventually, but Sampson was probably going to win a few titles if he didnt mess himself up.

6. McHale, but barely.  He was just such a tough cover and he could cover any position 3-5 and hold his own on a switch with most 2s.  That’s invaluable.

7. Harden eventually, Glide now.  Glide made several finals in one of the toughest eras ever, but after Jordan crushed him, he was never the same (the numbers bear this out).  Assuming a Jordan never crushes Harden and he avoids injury, he will probably overtake Drexler.

8. Melo just because King got hurt and was never the same. Prime of life? King and it isn’t close.

9. Isaiah is a top 20 player ever. Steph had 1 elite year. Let’s not go nuts.

10. Westbrook. Nique didn’t play D.

PulseGlazer
    Participant

1. Jordan because stop comparing people to Jordan already.

2. Kobe – Dr. J was incredible, but at his best in the ABA where defense was… optional.

3. Charles – could play away from the hoop without his rebounding suffering. 

4. Olajuwon – I refuse to dignify this nonsense.

5. Probably AD eventually, but Sampson was probably going to win a few titles if he didnt mess himself up.

6. McHale, but barely.  He was just such a tough cover and he could cover any position 3-5 and hold his own on a switch with most 2s.  That’s invaluable.

7. Harden eventually, Glide now.  Glide made several finals in one of the toughest eras ever, but after Jordan crushed him, he was never the same (the numbers bear this out).  Assuming a Jordan never crushes Harden and he avoids injury, he will probably overtake Drexler.

8. Melo just because King got hurt and was never the same. Prime of life? King and it isn’t close.

9. Isaiah is a top 20 player ever. Steph had 1 elite year. Let’s not go nuts.

10. Westbrook. Nique didn’t play D.

Arc12345
    Participant

Jordan, Kobe, Sir Charles, Olajuwon, Mchale, Harden, Melo, Isaiah, Westbrook

I don’t think the first 4 need justification. I think people forget how great Mchale was, because other than Duncan, he’s probably the 2nd best PF ever. His post moves were nasty.

Harden’s offensive game is so diverse and his outside shot is lethal.

Melo: best scoring moves ever in my opinion. From anywhere on the court, inside or out. Watching his smoothness and comfort with such complex moves is astounding.

It’s tempting to put Curry, but I can’t do it yet. Isaiah really was special, and what heart. But if Curry plays remotely close to his current level for a few more years, I’d give him the nod.

Westbrook is the best GUARD in the NBA. What I mean by that is he can play the 1 or the 2 and be equally lethal. It’s hard to argue he’s the best 1 or 2 in the league, although I think you could. But nobody can do either as well as him. His defense and heart is all time great. When Larry bird said he hopes Westbrook wins 10 MVP’s, I listened. Bird’s opinions and praise don’t come easy. Westbrook is great.

Arc12345
    Participant

Jordan, Kobe, Sir Charles, Olajuwon, Mchale, Harden, Melo, Isaiah, Westbrook

I don’t think the first 4 need justification. I think people forget how great Mchale was, because other than Duncan, he’s probably the 2nd best PF ever. His post moves were nasty.

Harden’s offensive game is so diverse and his outside shot is lethal.

Melo: best scoring moves ever in my opinion. From anywhere on the court, inside or out. Watching his smoothness and comfort with such complex moves is astounding.

It’s tempting to put Curry, but I can’t do it yet. Isaiah really was special, and what heart. But if Curry plays remotely close to his current level for a few more years, I’d give him the nod.

Westbrook is the best GUARD in the NBA. What I mean by that is he can play the 1 or the 2 and be equally lethal. It’s hard to argue he’s the best 1 or 2 in the league, although I think you could. But nobody can do either as well as him. His defense and heart is all time great. When Larry bird said he hopes Westbrook wins 10 MVP’s, I listened. Bird’s opinions and praise don’t come easy. Westbrook is great.

Illadelph
    Participant

Dominique versus Westbrook is not a great choice comparison.  Nique was a hyper-athletic scoring machine, who is 6’8" and could dunk and bang with anyone.  Westbrook is a hyper-athletic scoring machine who is 6’3" and plays in the backcourt. 

That said, I would take ‘Nique any day of the week over Westbrook.   ‘Nique routinely posterized everyone in his path.  Wilkins imho is a way overlooked NBA star who unfortunately played for a perenially crappy Hawks team for nearly all of his career.  The fact that the Hawks didn’t make sure he finished his career with them is just unforgivable.  OK, rant over.

Illadelph
    Participant

Dominique versus Westbrook is not a great choice comparison.  Nique was a hyper-athletic scoring machine, who is 6’8" and could dunk and bang with anyone.  Westbrook is a hyper-athletic scoring machine who is 6’3" and plays in the backcourt. 

That said, I would take ‘Nique any day of the week over Westbrook.   ‘Nique routinely posterized everyone in his path.  Wilkins imho is a way overlooked NBA star who unfortunately played for a perenially crappy Hawks team for nearly all of his career.  The fact that the Hawks didn’t make sure he finished his career with them is just unforgivable.  OK, rant over.

NBAjunkie81
    Participant

He played almost his entire prime in the ABA where he won 3 League MVP’s & won 2 Championships in 3 Finals appearances… Giving Dr.J a total of 4 League MVP’s (ABA & NBA) & 7 Finals with 3 Rings (ABA & NBA) Erving was a Monster at nearly 6’8” Dr. J Averaged 30+points, an Insane 12 rebounds & 5 assists – the man was like an Alien that landed on Earth & just Dominated all time great players…..There were Many futre NBA hall of famer players who started in the ABA  & I listed some below – I’m not saying that anyone should pick Dr. J over Kobe – or anyone else – but for the purposes of these types of conversations, it is important to understand the Dr. J absolutely rescued professional basketball in this country before Bird & Magic took it to the next level…

During the Seasons the ABA existed (1968 – 1976) the NBA Only had 13 teams – the talent levels were Extremely similar – when you look at the rosters it’s actually remarkable how many Hall of Fame NBA players began their careers in the ABA & even among All Time Greats like Artis Gilmore, Dan Issel, Lou Dampier, Mel Daniels, Roger Brown, Rick Barry, Connie Hawkins, David Thompson just to name a few – these are NBA Hall of Famers who started in the ABA…

People do not realize that since the NBA began in 1947 – EVERY single NBA & ABA Championship winning team has been led by an NBA Future Hall of Fame player – there are ONLY two teams that were not – the 1971 Utah Stars & the 2004 Detroit Pistons… I believe that Chauncey Billups of the 04′ Pistons will eventually be elected to the HOF & the Utah Star were led by All Time Great Zelmo Beaty – a 6’9” beast who was Dominant but didn;t play long enough in the NBA to make the NBA HOF – but he Definitely would have had he played in the NBA – but that gives you an idea of the great players & the talent on all the ABA teams…

NBAjunkie81
    Participant

He played almost his entire prime in the ABA where he won 3 League MVP’s & won 2 Championships in 3 Finals appearances… Giving Dr.J a total of 4 League MVP’s (ABA & NBA) & 7 Finals with 3 Rings (ABA & NBA) Erving was a Monster at nearly 6’8” Dr. J Averaged 30+points, an Insane 12 rebounds & 5 assists – the man was like an Alien that landed on Earth & just Dominated all time great players…..There were Many futre NBA hall of famer players who started in the ABA  & I listed some below – I’m not saying that anyone should pick Dr. J over Kobe – or anyone else – but for the purposes of these types of conversations, it is important to understand the Dr. J absolutely rescued professional basketball in this country before Bird & Magic took it to the next level…

During the Seasons the ABA existed (1968 – 1976) the NBA Only had 13 teams – the talent levels were Extremely similar – when you look at the rosters it’s actually remarkable how many Hall of Fame NBA players began their careers in the ABA & even among All Time Greats like Artis Gilmore, Dan Issel, Lou Dampier, Mel Daniels, Roger Brown, Rick Barry, Connie Hawkins, David Thompson just to name a few – these are NBA Hall of Famers who started in the ABA…

People do not realize that since the NBA began in 1947 – EVERY single NBA & ABA Championship winning team has been led by an NBA Future Hall of Fame player – there are ONLY two teams that were not – the 1971 Utah Stars & the 2004 Detroit Pistons… I believe that Chauncey Billups of the 04′ Pistons will eventually be elected to the HOF & the Utah Star were led by All Time Great Zelmo Beaty – a 6’9” beast who was Dominant but didn;t play long enough in the NBA to make the NBA HOF – but he Definitely would have had he played in the NBA – but that gives you an idea of the great players & the talent on all the ABA teams…

Stop_basketball_nonsense
    Participant

So in naming stars of the 80’s, why isn’t bird& magic mentioned? Like magic vs russell_ or carmelo vs  bird. Ithink an even fairer comparison would be lebron( who im not sure why he wasnt named, but its not my list) vs magic. I keep bird vs melo. 

Still my winners are — jordan

Kobe ties with Dr.j

Olajuwon by how many free throws Dwight has missed

McHale, but by slightest of margins, I feel gasol had a span from 2008-2010 where he was the best big in the league.

Ad, but considering Ralph got hurt & never reached his prime davis wins by default.

Harden v. Drexler, drexler 

Melo v king get to watch king so undecided

Thomas over curry. Thomas just tougher and better defender

Barkely over Blake

Dominique over Westbrook, if this year with westbrook not being able to lead the thunder into the playoffs, with bad shooting percentages doesn’t highlight the fact that he needs to chill & refine his game, and show us he isnt a true #1 option then people have forgotten what a true stR is.

Forget pluses & minuses old school alwys beats newschool. In every aspect of life new school derives from old school. new school always changes up the system & usually the product suffers. Big men on the perimeter who can shoot 3s but are so perimeter oriented that when they get switched onto a guard they can’t post the guard up because they lack the skills.guards that can’t feed the post & take too many shots because them playing pick & roll is the offense. OLd School please come back, the mavs are in decline & spurs getting old can’t depend on them forever.

Stop_basketball_nonsense
    Participant

So in naming stars of the 80’s, why isn’t bird& magic mentioned? Like magic vs russell_ or carmelo vs  bird. Ithink an even fairer comparison would be lebron( who im not sure why he wasnt named, but its not my list) vs magic. I keep bird vs melo. 

Still my winners are — jordan

Kobe ties with Dr.j

Olajuwon by how many free throws Dwight has missed

McHale, but by slightest of margins, I feel gasol had a span from 2008-2010 where he was the best big in the league.

Ad, but considering Ralph got hurt & never reached his prime davis wins by default.

Harden v. Drexler, drexler 

Melo v king get to watch king so undecided

Thomas over curry. Thomas just tougher and better defender

Barkely over Blake

Dominique over Westbrook, if this year with westbrook not being able to lead the thunder into the playoffs, with bad shooting percentages doesn’t highlight the fact that he needs to chill & refine his game, and show us he isnt a true #1 option then people have forgotten what a true stR is.

Forget pluses & minuses old school alwys beats newschool. In every aspect of life new school derives from old school. new school always changes up the system & usually the product suffers. Big men on the perimeter who can shoot 3s but are so perimeter oriented that when they get switched onto a guard they can’t post the guard up because they lack the skills.guards that can’t feed the post & take too many shots because them playing pick & roll is the offense. OLd School please come back, the mavs are in decline & spurs getting old can’t depend on them forever.

RUDEBOY_
    Participant

1.jordan

2.is really really tough

3.2 yrs ago i would’ve immediately said barkley..becuz blake has expanded his game so much recently,its kind of close..but barkley gets the slight edge…

4.hakeem..without a doubt

5.im old enuff to remember seeing sampson in college..the most athletic 7 footer to ever play until kg came along…….im going with davis..becuz injuries hurt sampson’s career..

6.i’ve said that mchale,hakeem & pau are the 3 best post players i’ve ever seen…..pau is a great passer..but mchale was the better defender..and also clutch offensively….mchale gets the nod..

7.drexler

8.melo

9.thomas gets the nod….curry hasnt done it long enuff yet..thomas was a great leader,competitive,could turn up his offense when the team needed…

10.dominique

RUDEBOY_
    Participant

1.jordan

2.is really really tough

3.2 yrs ago i would’ve immediately said barkley..becuz blake has expanded his game so much recently,its kind of close..but barkley gets the slight edge…

4.hakeem..without a doubt

5.im old enuff to remember seeing sampson in college..the most athletic 7 footer to ever play until kg came along…….im going with davis..becuz injuries hurt sampson’s career..

6.i’ve said that mchale,hakeem & pau are the 3 best post players i’ve ever seen…..pau is a great passer..but mchale was the better defender..and also clutch offensively….mchale gets the nod..

7.drexler

8.melo

9.thomas gets the nod….curry hasnt done it long enuff yet..thomas was a great leader,competitive,could turn up his offense when the team needed…

10.dominique

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login