So Norvel Pelle (#1 Center in c/o 2011 by Rivals) Will Put His Name In The Draft

M-Eazy
So Norvel Pelle (#1 Center in c/o 2011 by Rivals) Will Put His Name In The Draft

Does anybody see him getting picked up? At 6'11 210 I don't see him being successful down low...does he have a mid range game? Anyone know anything about this kid? Besides the fact that he's been ineligible everywhere he's tried to go.

JoeWolf1
JoeWolf1's picture
If he tests well in the

If he tests well in the combine and holds his own in pre-draft scrimmages, someone might try for him in the late 2nd round. The last 8 or so picks over the last couple years have mainly been stash picks anyways.

mikeyvthedon
mikeyvthedon's picture
As intriguing as Norvel will be

Will probably have to GET to the combine first. Last year they only took 61 and out of those, 50 got taken in the draft. Norvel Pelle is intriguing, think I put some vids on his profile and if not, check him out on youtube, because he is long, lanky and a nice athlete. I am guessing he has been working a bit, think he was at some kind of prep school, just has not really gone up against top dogs.

My guess is he will need to get to a bigger team try-out and really stand out there to even get invited to the combine. Would be different if he were playing pro, just seemed like he was trying to go the college route and than thought it was a lost cause. Think he will more than likely go undrafted and have to grind through summer league, training camp or the D-League.

JM40
I mentioned this guy in a

I mentioned this guy in a post earlier this month about former HS players that are college busts, and recieved all kind of negatives. He's a perfect example of a highly ranked HS prospect who never made it through the collegiate scene and declared for the draft in hopes of some team taking a flier. He MIGHT get taken from picks 55-60 if a team has a pick to burn and wants to gamble on an American kid rather than some unknown Euro or African player.

Taylor Gang Mike
Taylor Gang Mike's picture
http://www.youtube.com/watch?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OnDQr86hFM This kid looks like a Lottery Pick, seriously. He looks like a KG or Andre Drummond. Im sure teams are not gonna want to gamble on him, so im seeing early/late 2nd round. Hopefully my Sixers get him tho

Scott42444
I agree with you, he looks pretty good...

I am not going to pretend like I am an NBA scout. I believe that I am pretty decent at statistical analysis once guys make it to the NBA draft stage and then to the NBA. SO THAT BEING SAID....

I agree with you Taylor Gang Mike. Here is what I don't understand. Nerlens Noel was the #1 Center prospect from the 2012 class, Norvel Pelle was the #1 Center prospect from the 2011 class. Noel played pretty well at Kentucky, but blew out his knee AND didn't exactly lead his team (filled with McDonald's All-Americans AND with a HOF coach) to the promised land. Kentucky was ousted in the first round of the NIT, even with a 1st Round NBA Draft pick replacing Nerlens.

Why was Noel's 20-some odd college games, combined with a blown out knee ligament, not enough to oust him from the Top 3 picks but Norvel Pelle not playing ANY college ball with NO injuries such a career destroyer for the latter? It doesn't make sense to me. I watched that YouTube link you posted and he looks DAMN GOOD. He just looks like he has great athleticism and good court awareness with quick feet, quick hands, and great athletic ability. He just looks like a "basketball player" (which is a compliment that I don't give out all the time, it also applies to "baseball players") who is almost 7 feet tall (which is of course the one thing that can't be taught later). Why would he fall out of the draft completely but Noel will be Top 3? I just don't understand it. I understand that not being able to qualify for college is a red flag, but even my boy Derrick Rose had problems. He just cheated to get to Memphis (I love the guy, but from what I have heard that is true and I don't blame Rose one bit because the NCAA is a damn scam to begin with). I would LOVE for the Bulls to take a flier on him in the 2nd Round if he is still around. He was ranked #1 for a reason and he didn't drop off the basketball map because of

#1 Injury

- OR -

#2 Bad Play

So I guess I just can't fathom why he would drop off so much. Yes, he hasn't been playing against top notch competition but neither is Nerlens Noel for the next 9 months. I don't see the difference (I do understand that Noel could just be THAT much better of an NBA prospect, it just seems like a very apt comparison since they are consecutive #1's in their class at the same position and seem to have similar skill sets).

@activehustle
@activehustle's picture
I can see the Spurs taking a

I can see the Spurs taking a chance on him (no I'm not a spurs fan)

Taylor Gang Mike
Taylor Gang Mike's picture
@Scott42444 you make GREAT

@Scott42444 you make GREAT point. Seriously that is interesting. I think Gm's will look at Noel's body of work pre injury and draft him off his name. But Norvel SHOULD be top 10... But with the red flags and with guys like "Renardo Sidney and Jeremy Tyler" being red flags before him, then Gm's will get scared off.. So like i said i see him getting a slim chance, maybe hes a good kid, maybe not but the question is will rich guys take a chance and invest money on him over a "Noel or Len or WCS"

Siggy
This kid has proven nothing

This kid has proven nothing outside of not being able obtain eligibility anywhere.
He was not the #1 center in his class and he was not around the same league as a prospect as Noel. He'll be lucky to earn a camp invite after going undrafted.

Scott42444
I agree, he has proven nothing...

...I guess what I am having trouble with is the fact that failing to obtain eligibility shouldn't always lump him together with some of the other top high school prospects who have injuries, or get kicked off a team, or are deemed "uncoachable", or have legal concerns. Like I said, I am NOT someone who pretends to be able to scout high school basketball players. That being said, we could have 2 straight #1 NBA Draft picks who weren't even on the radar as 1st round picks before their senior (high school)/freshman (college) seasons with AD and McLemore. So, I guess it's a VERY inexact science to begin with. But I am SURE that I saw at least 1 reputable scouting source rank him as the #1 center prospect in the class of 2011. That doesn't equate to surefire NBA greatness, I understand. It just seems like there are guys who leave college after their freshman year, big men in particular, who are VERY far away from being polished players. Cauley-Stein is a good example to me. He is going to be a 1st round pick. This guy won't get drafted? Seems to be a decent gamble in the 2nd Round for an NBA team. Especially in a relatively weak draft year AND without many great bigman prospects.

Scott42444
Also, whoever is giving him advice...

...on trying to emulate KD is doing him ZERO favors. He should be working on his post game for 8 hours a day. Well, working on his post game and working out to add strength. If I were trying to enter the NBA draft and had nothing to do but practice (I am guessing a bit here since I don't know if he has a 60 hour a week job, but I didn't hear that anywhere) I would look at the NBA and find what it is that is a WANTED commodity. I would then see if I could develop my game to help fill that void. He has the size and athletic ability to do that but instead he wants to shoot 3-pointers. No matter how many shots he takes a day, there isn't a 1 in a Quadrillion chance of him ever raising his 3-point ability to that of the top shooting prospects and NBA veterans. But, being a back to the basket center who can hold his spot in the post? That is something that he could excel at. But, I guess nobody is nominating him as a Rhodes Scholar so maybe I am asking too much.

KanyEvil27
Jeremy Tyler?

Jeremy Tyler?

mikeyvthedon
mikeyvthedon's picture
Here is what I think people are missing here.....

As far as Scott talking about Nerlens versus Norvel, they were in two different atmospheres. Nerlens was dominant on the AAU circuit, a disruptive defender and while he was not leading Kentucky to the promised land, he made the a hell of a lot better when he was playing as opposed to when he wasn't. Also, while I disagreed with Nerlens being the #1 PLAYER (not just center) in his class, that class was full of huge, big men who were highly rated. As far as overall player, hard to rank Nerlens outside of 5 and as far as center, he was #1.

Norvel was rated #1 by Rivals. That is one site with their own opinion and other sites did not necessarily go along the same lines. Norvel was the 23rd ranked player overall by Rivals and the centers after him were Rakeem Christmas, Adjehi Baru and Johnny O'Bryant. They did not rank Anthony Davis, Cody Zeller or Khem Birch as centers, all would have most definitely been ahead of Norvel. Pelle was seen as nice athlete, but I think he weighs almost 15-20 pounds less than Nerlens does right now. We do not know what he was like against top competition.

The reason Nerlens is rated where he is, even with the injuries, is because their is at least some semblance of an idea of what he can become due to what people have already seen. With Pelle, that is monumental guess work. Had he come to Iona, destroyed the practices or even went to a JUCO that played legit competition, than you could be harping about him being underrated. Right now, he is just a 6-11/210 pound risk. Here is a more recent video of Norvel:

He is absolutely intriguing. He is long, athletic, can run, block shots. He makes a few jumpers. Now, this is a highlight video, mind you. Do we see him getting posted up by anyone near his size? Do we see him posting someone with legitimate size? Would that one "up and under" really not get swatted to the fourth row in the NBA, or NCAA for that matter? I think even with the injuries, Nerlens Noel has fewer variables and unknowns than Norvel Pelle.

Also, to continue the Norvel/Nerlens comparison, Nerlens was not ranked less than #2 in his class by any scouting service (#1 by everyone except Rivals, I believe). Norvel was #23 by Rivals (#1 center), #79 by Scout (#16 PF) and #77 by ESPN (#12 PF). So, take #1 center as it was in a class where people had a hard enough time figuring out the difference between who was a center and who was a PF, plus one website had him well above the other two.

The same website who had Michael Beasley and Eric Gordon above Derrick Rose in 2007 and Kyle Singler above Kevin Love that same year. I mean, COME ON! Beasley maybe but as much of a stud as EG was, D-Rose was the goods. I say so with full knowledge I had my own, pretty bad top 10 ranking with Rose smack dab at #1 and anyone who watched Oregon HS basketball knew Kevin was above Kyle. They ranked BJ Mullens #1 in 2008 (I had Brandon Jennings. May not have been perfect, still think it was a better choice than Mullens). Got back with John Wall the next year, while ESPN inexplicably had Avery Bradley #1. With all the flack John Wall gets, safe to say he is turning into a bigger piece of the puzzle than Avery. However, than Rivals went with Josh Selby #1 in 2010 over the likes of Harrison Barnes (my favorite, and most at the times), Jared Sullinger (the next most popular choice) and Kyrie Irving (a player who most definitely looked like a better future PG than Josh Selby).

Well, that last paragraph was just food for thought. You never know who these sites see when or what they see. Their scouting reports are usually not very complete and they tend to rely on where the player is ranked as a guide for how good they are. With that being said, their are some who are claiming up to 7 players from the HS Class of 2013 could compete for the #1 pick in the draft this year, while the only names still legitimately mentioned with a chance from the Class of 2012 are Marcus Smart or Nerlens Noel. I am not a fan of taking Nerlens #1, just know more about what to expect from him than I do from Norvel Pelle and I know that just because you are the #1 center in the Class of 2011, it does not necessarily put you at the same place as the #1 center in another class.

NYBALLAS
Ricardo ledo better take a

Ricardo ledo better take a look at what Pelles done to his draft stock by not playing and delcare this year and not wait. His name and abilities are still fresh in NBA peoples minds without that second thought questioning him. I know he hasnt played this year but what he can do on the court is still fresh in our minds. Plus next years class is stacked at his position and if he steps in and isnt top notch it will hurt him cause hes had a year of practicing with and against college players plus a year of college coaching plus another year for his body to develop so its almost like unless hes a top player at his position its just gunna hurt him.

WolfRob
WolfRob's picture
I don't even know what your

I don't even know what your talking about? What has this guy done to his draft stock? Playing against kids at the YMCA and banging out and filming it, isn't gonna get him drafted? A 6'11 210 lb kid isn't getting drafted. Believe that

M-Eazy
After watching the youtube

After watching the youtube highlights I'm wondering why he's listed as a center?

TheLastWord
Wingspan is pretty weak for a

Wingspan is pretty weak for a center. He has the hops but at 210 lbs, not sure how much potential he has to get to the minimum need for center (250ish). Late 2nd round flier worthy.

j1232e
2nd round

I think teams should use the D league more with players like this, sign him to a minum salary for 2-3 years and keep him playing minutes in the dleague running your system. Let him learn how your system works, and if he doen't work out after a year or two it's not a big loss but if he willing to learn and work hard he is rewarded with a bigger contract. I really think every team should have their own dleague team in the same city or not far from home and only run and practise what the nba team is trying to do,

topotamolder
The next Jajuan Johnson?

The next Jajuan Johnson?

RSS: Syndicate content