Seth Curry...Why isn't he talked about for the 2012 Draft???

Mr. Basketball
Mr. Basketball's picture
Seth Curry...Why isn't he talked about for the 2012 Draft???

Why is nobody mentioning Seth Curry's name in 2012 NBA Draft talks? He is just like his brother who is off to a very good start in his NBA career, but Seth is at a better program. I guarantee that Seth Curry will be one of the best players in the nation this year. Watching him vs. UNC this year, he lit it up. He was unstoppable and very clutch. In probably the biggest game that he had played in so far in his life, he shot lights out vs. Duke's rival. He had 22 pts, 6 rebs, and 5 asts on 8-12 shooting. When he played big minutes, he produced. Next year, with Nolan Smith, Kyrie Irvine, and Kyle Singler gone, Curry a junior, will be the guy for Duke as freshman Austin Rivers adjusts to college basketball. I highly doubt that Seth Curry will not be a good NBA player after his brother's early success in the NBA.

Windy City Assassin
He is not a 1st Round guy

He is not a 1st Round guy that's my assumption of him not being mentioned. I have not seen flashes of 1st Round type of ability to go in that round with this alleged "deep class"

surve
surve's picture
Just Wondering....

he is NOT just like his brother. he is basically a shooter right now....although a damn good shooter there are quite a few things that separate him from Steph.

Seth doesnt have the PG skills. He is not as athletic or long. He doesnt have as good of range. He is not as good a defender. Handles not as good. Basically, not only does his brother do everything better than him, but he is not on par with a lot of other future prospects.

Tongue-Out-Like-23
Tongue-Out-Like-23's picture
The thing is, Stephen Curry

The thing is, Stephen Curry could be as good as Gilbert Arenas was. While Seth Curry is only seen as an Eddie House type guy. Huge difference.

JNixon
JNixon's picture
Seth Curry isn't a 2012

Seth Curry isn't a 2012 prospect because he struggles when matched up with athleticism, and he's not very quick or good off the dribble. He's not like Stephen Curry. Curry was a better ball-handler and shooter, and he's quicker. Curry could also get to the rim and finish against the more athletic teams he faced.

GottaBeTheShoes
NOT his brother.

Austin Rivers won't have problems adjusting. His game is very matured and will fit in to college very quickly. Rivers will be the better player over seth from the beginning. When i watched seth play I never saw him do anything but shoot. He shot and shot and shot. He has to learn to play differently from that. He had one good all-around game but that doesn't make him a good passer. Seth is inconsistent as a scorer too. He is a year older than his class also which makes him a Senior academically. How come at Lib. he only average 2.3 assists per game.. He should have been able to get more than that. Then in his soph year he only averaged 9 points and 2 assists in an average of 25 minutes per play. Even if he got like 35 minutes he wouldn't put up numbers that would get him drafted. Unless he sees significant improvement I don't see him getting drafted.

JordanC20
Seth should have stayed at

Seth should have stayed at Liberty he put up great numbers there...at Duke he is nothing more than a limited role player.

Going to Duke hurt him in my opinion.

Johnny Chill
Johnny Chill's picture
Seth Curry

He is projected to come out in 2013, that's why nobody is talking about him for 2012.

Mr. Basketball
Mr. Basketball's picture
Yeah because I'm sure all of

Yeah because I'm sure all of you thought Stephen Curry was going to be a lottery pick before his tourney run...yeah right. Fact is, Seth Curry had very similar numbers his freshman season as Stephen Curry, his weight is the same, they are 1 inch apart, they both are known for their shooting but can do so much more. It's a joke that people watched him play like twice at Duke on a stacked team, and then say he is pretty much eddie house when hello, that was his role on Duke because its was first year and he had Nolan Smith, Kyle Singler, and Kyrie Irving ahead of him when it came to touches. It's ridiculous to say that Stephen has better defense - neither are very good (they're equally bad). Another thing: he's not as good of a pg? And what are you basing that off of? The fact that you never saw Seth play pg yet you've seen Stephen play pg bcuz his team needed him to so therefore he must be a better pg? Well actually Seth is just as good a passer but he just didn't get to showcase that because he was pretty much the shooter/sixth man on a loaded Duke team. You act like Stephen had great assist/turnover numbers...He and Seth both had a 1:1 assist to turnover ratio their freshman year and their assists per game were .5 different...Yup I'm sure that would lead to the conclusion that Stephen is a much better pg. Or was it perhaps all of the pre-draft talk about Stephen not being a good pg that made you think he was a good pg and Seth is not? No, I'm pretty sure it was hindsight that made you think that because most people didn't think that Stephen Curry had the ability to be a very good NBA pg due to the fact that they saw him as more of SG exactly like Seth Curry. Also, seriously someone's arguing that their length is very different? They are built exactly the same except Stephen is one inch taller. And the athleticism argument is dumb too, you only say that because you don't see Seth do much other than do his role at Duke which is to be the shooter - not a skill that shows off athleticism. In addition, are you serious with the argument that he doesn't have as deep of range as Stephen?? They have identical range! Lastly, he has good handles. I'm not sure where that argument came from...If anybody would have bothered to watch him at Liberty, they would know how similar to his brother he really is. Watch this video and tell me you still think they are very different players and that Seth is nothing more than Eddie House: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEjzYaVdD4s  It's hard to discuss prospects with people who use other people's extremely early mock drafts as a bible for draft knowledge. For some of you, it's like if somebody is not in the first round now, they must suck. Or if somebody is in the lottery based on potential right now, then they will for sure be an NBA superstar or all star. Mock drafts are just individual projections and you have to realize that they are not an exact science. Just like Stephen Curry who wasn't thought highly of before the tournament, Seth will surprise people and be a good NBA player and prospect.

JNixon
JNixon's picture
You really think people

You really think people watched Curry play twice last year? Do you have any idea how many times they played on not just regional TV, but national games? Seth Curry and Duke has been watched by most avid college basketball fans repeatedly due to the amount of games Duke played nationally.

He's not nearly as good a prospect as Stephen Curry was. And I didn't even think very highly of Curry coming out of Davidson. Stephen is quicker, able to finish and play against athletic teams better, and Curry is a much more natural PG. Seth Curry didn't get to play much PG due to Smith and Irving, I agree. But still, there's no way he's a guy who would ideally be handling PG responsibilities for an ACC team, especially a good team like Duke. Seth Curry didn't even play extended PG minutes at Liberty! Stephen was playing with a prolific PG his 1st 2 years at Davidson named Jason Richards if you remember that name. I believe he might have led the nation in assists once or twice. I don't even know anybody on Liberty's roster and he didn't play much at PG at a school like that, so why would he play it at Duke? I don't see how he's even close to the prospect Stephen was. Curry got the Jimmer Fredette treatment and still led the nation in scoring as a Jr., while proving to be a PG. If a team did Curry that way, I feel very comfortable saying he would struggle mightily.

DowJonezBFG
Curry wasn't even a top 3

Curry wasn't even a top 3 player on his own team last yr, and most likely wont be this yr. The kid could play but i wonder if his last name was something other than "Curry" would this post even exist?

providencefriars1
providencefriars1's picture
I dont think Seth Curry will

I dont think Seth Curry will get any more playing time this year than last since Duke brings in Rivers and Cook and only loses Smith for guards. Duke also has Andre Dawkins who takes some of Curry's pt.

M-DYMES
M-DYMES's picture
Seth Curry would be lucky to

Seth Curry would be lucky to find a "roleplayer" role in the NBA IMO. I think he is going to struggle mightily in the NBA where he will be facing bigger, faster, and stronger players. He's a decent player who will be a quality roleplayer in college, but once he has to play with the big boys consistently, I just don't think he has the game, talent, or athleticism to keep up.

mlum
seth curry will definetly be

seth curry will definetly be a starter in the 2011-2012 season and i would expect him to be a bit of a combo guard. alrite heres my take on his game. He is longer and taller then steph which gives him better tools to work with. hes already a verypure shootter will good smooth mechanics and can shoot off the dribble as well as catch and shooting. He does a very good job changing speeds and using his limited quickness and now he can be a first round draft pick in the 2013 draft because he does have more freedom and playing time this season and coach k did say he has stepped uo his game this season. Although curry does have a chance to become a solid nba draft pick he must improve his handle and his footspeed but with those 2 improvments i could see him being a late lottery pick

surve
surve's picture
@mr. basketball

I read your post, and I will be fair with you. you make a decent argument....but, I am mainly basing my assumptions on what I saw Curry do at Duke this past season. I had high expectations for him coming in..and he was heavily hyped as a transfer.

Let me start by saying, if Curry was that good, Duke would not have struggled like they did at the end of the season, although their record was good...they squeaked by some teams.

Ok, we know Irving was going to be the man from day one and that Smith was going to be a POY candidate, so we didnt expect him to come in and make a lot of noise...but when Irving went down...I was like this is Seth's big chance....but he wasnt given full time PG reins. Why not? Particularly since Smith was their most consistant scorer and played better off the ball.

Curry did save Duke on several occasions and came up big, particularly when Singler was struggling, for that he deserves credit. He is a good scorer, but not a consistent one against big time opposition. This is due to him not having very much else to his game YET. He doesnt show much confidence in handling the ball, when pressured in the backcourt, he looked unsure of himself. Defensively, he did ok, but he had good help. The bottom line is, when Irving went down, the fact that Curry didnt play big time minutes at PG is more of an indictment of his ballhandling abilities being that he had a 20ppg scorer playing beside him. Curry is a shooter and a scorer primarily at this point, but still not on the level of his brother at the same age. I do agree that going to Duke probably hurts him because with the arrival of Rivers and Cook, his chances to improve or showcase his ability to play PG will be limited.

bdiddy5115
Although I do agree with many

Although I do agree with many of your criticisms that he is not the player his brother is, I'm going to reserve my final judgment of him as a prospect til after this year - when he gets a full chance. He really played within the offense last year, deferring to the "guys" (Irving, Smith, Singler), while stepping up when he had to.

I feel he could surprise some of us this year.

iguapops420
iguapops420's picture
I've been a Seth supporter

I've been a Seth supporter since I first saw him at Liberty. I'm still not sure if he's an NBA level player, but I definitely expect that he is going to surprise A LOT of people this year with his pg play and scoring.

He may not be as quick as Steph, but a lot of people claimed Steph wasn't very quick until he hit the NBA scene with a vengance. Seth is stronger than Steph and I don't exactly think he's any less long by size. If I'm not mistaken Steph had a wingspan the same as his height.

BTW, Derek Fisher is neither quick nor athletic, andhas almost NO pg skills, yet he has made a 15 year career filling a role. I could see Seth having a similar career. At the very least he could be a Troy Hudson, Damon Joes type. I think he actually has better pg skills than Eddie House.

wenich
@ Mr. Basketball Come on Dell

@ Mr. Basketball

Come on Dell you could have used your own name

mlum
if hes not a great player y

if hes not a great player y did coach k recruit him knowing austin rivers was on the way????

surve
surve's picture
^

what??? lol. dude, Curry was enrolled at Duke 2 years ago...Rivers was a Florida Gator verbal commit in 2008, then he decommitted...he didnt commit to Duke until the end of 2010, over a year after Curry had been a student at Duke.

RUDEBOY_
RUDEBOY_'s picture
Dispite what you read,Seth

Dispite what you read,Seth has the potential to play point guard..But he struggled in the ACC last season..I guess the competition level,defenses,playing in Duke's system and being rusty from sitting out a year cause him to not feel comfortable..He looked confused on the court and coach K basically wanted him to be a spot up shooter..At Liberty he drove to the basket more and created plays for teammates..A few scouts were comparing him to Devin Harris....

I expect him to be 1 of the most improved players in the nation next season...

kobyz
kobyz's picture
he is similar to Jannero

he is similar to Jannero Pargo, fringe NBA player at best.

kobyz
kobyz's picture
speaking of Jannero Pargo,

speaking of Jannero Pargo, probably he make the case for the most athleticism's difference between two brothers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyIOv73kAJI&feature=fvwrel

iguapops420
iguapops420's picture
Nice assesment Rude. A lot of

Nice assesment Rude. A lot of people are underrating Seth's abilities based on a first year in a tougher conference alon with a lot of rust. I personally think his potentially is actually pretty good.I don't see quite Devin Harris as he doesn't have Devin's athleticism, but he can definitely make a career out of being a steady quality PG.

JNixon
JNixon's picture
How was he rusty?? He

How was he rusty?? He practiced with the team the entire time he sat out. And he practiced against guys like Jon Scheyer and Nolan Smith. That guy just doesn't have the athleticism to do alot of what he did at Liberty. He'll improve as he gets adjusted to having more responsibilty, but he's not anything noteworthy as an NBA prospect. Just because he's the brother of Stephen and the son of Dell Curry doesn't mean he's going to be a true NBA player either.

He probably will play some PG next year, but not in a traditional sense. He will bring the ball up the court, pass it, and look for ways to get jump shots. Much the same way Ashton Gibbs or Derek Fisher play the position.

iguapops420
iguapops420's picture
You know as well as anyone on

You know as well as anyone on this sight that practicing against the same players day in and day out is nowhere near the same as playing against real competition. I respectfully disagree. He may not be abything special or anything at all, but he can very much become a 10 year nba player with the right niche'. Not like Derek Fisher has ever been a quick or athletic player. Nor did he ever have any PG skills outside of making smart decisions(even though he STILL has bad shot selectoion and goes into his wanna be A.I. mode from time to time) but that didn't stop him from making 15 year 5 NBA championship career for himself.

BTW, didn't you also consistently say Jrue Holiday wasn't going to be a pg either. And I'm pretty sure I stated that Steph Curry was going to be a player similar to Derek Fisher at Best Mike Bibby. Proof tht we're both wrong occasionally. Though I'm sure neither of us thought that Nolan Smith was going to be a first rounder either his second year at Duke.

surve
surve's picture
I am sorta with Iggy....

I like Curry, but I just dont see the upside...at least not yet. He looked amazing at Liberty, but really didnt show that kind of flash at Duke. He showed that he can get hot and shoot with the best of them, but other than that, his all around game looked suspect.

Practicing is not the same thing, but it shouldve gotten the rust off...then after which...its just facing different competition. He just did not look comfortable with the ball in his hands. He looked as if he was better off the ball. Smith...understandably because of the experience level, looked much better with the ball in his hands....even though he plays better off the ball.

I think what some of us are paying the most attention to is...he had a shaky year and now his developement may be hindered with the addition of Rivers.

abcdefghijkl
Seth Curry

Too small to be a SG in the NBA and doesn't really have any PG skills and can't create for himself very well like Steph can. Also, can't play a lick of defense.

surve
surve's picture
anyone here still think Curry

anyone here still think Curry is a rising prospect for 2013?

Johnny Chill
Johnny Chill's picture
Euro ball

Seth better start learning some Spanish, Italian, Greek, Russian, or Turk.

JoeWolf1
JoeWolf1's picture
Nepitism will at least get

Nepitism will at least get him on a roster. Not sure what kind of impact he'll have, but Steph worked with CP3 before the draft, how many guys can boast that? Between his brother and dad's connections he'll have EVERY opportunity to make a roster. The NBA will find a spot for a good shooter and high IQ player who's last name happens to be Curry.

uknation
uknation's picture
His last name means nadda.

His last name means nadda.

Theres another Griffin out there with bounce who isn't in the NBA

Theres a Zeller out there who won't be in the NBA while Tyler and Cody will be

Last name gets you on summer league rosters not NBA rosters.

And there are a lot of better shooters in europe who aren't on NBA rosters

The8thDeadlySin
The8thDeadlySin's picture
Griffin and Zeller are both

Griffin and Zeller are both in the D-League.. So it does get you a little further than Summer League..

FastAndFurious
FastAndFurious's picture
D League really is the same

D League really is the same thing as summer league, NBA teams already know who they want or already know which guys could really play in the League its all about opportunity, it's alot of guys in the D League with GREAT numbers that won't ever play in the NBA, but players like Mike James who is old(No offense) gets a call up, the NBA is more about politics and I will always believe that, if your not top flight talent, then you will have a very tough time making it to the NBA.

The8thDeadlySin
You get paid to play in the

You get paid to play in the D-League.. Not in Summer League.

FastAndFurious
FastAndFurious's picture
This dude 8thdeadlysin is a

This dude 8thdeadlysin is a clown

Duh you get paid in the DLeague but it's chump change,not even worth mentioning.

Far as the opportunity to get in the NBA, it's the same, you might even have a better chance getting into the NBA from summerleague than the DLeague in all honesty.

JoeWolf1
JoeWolf1's picture
Last name only goes so far,

Last name only goes so far, but resources get you further. As indicated in my first post he'll have every opportunity before the draft. His brother got Chris Paul individual workouts to help him work on his point guard skills, you think Seth won't get the same?

Dell has connections, Steph has connections which means Seth has connections. Think it's any accident Corey Higgins is playing for the Bobcats or Coby Karl plays for Denver every preseason?

Steph is going to have to earn his spot, I never argued that. A coach isn't going to play him because he's a Curry, but he'll have more of a foot in the door than your rull of the mill 6'2'' guard dropping 12 points a night.

The8thDeadlySin
Wrong. Not a clown.. I'm a

Wrong. Not a clown.. I'm a college student. Good try though.. Also, do you have a figure on what people get paid in the D-League or are you just guessing what someone would get paid?

How come when I challenged you, you called me a name? It wasnt very nice...

Dale Worthington
Dale Worthington's picture
Luke Zeller is in the

Luke Zeller is in the D-League? Seriously?

Wow, to this day, he is one of the worst college basketball players I have ever seen.

FastAndFurious
FastAndFurious's picture
Yea D League salary ranges

Yea D League salary ranges anywhere from $12,000 dollars a year to $24,000 dollars a year, as I stated nothing to brag about at all, I could work a summer job for a few months and make more than most of them, nothing to brag about at all.

The8thDeadlySin
Your awfully good with that

Your awfully good with that Google thing.. I'm happy for you.

uknation
uknation's picture
You get paid in summer league

You get paid in summer league as well genius. Those two play D-League because they can actually play on that level not because of their names

RSS: Syndicate content