SB Nation's top 100 NBA players of 2017

David Stern a.k...
David Stern a.k.a. da muthaf@cking leader of da krypts's picture
SB Nation's top 100 NBA players of 2017

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/8/19/4615826/top-100-nba-players-2017-list

Has anyone seen this ridiculous list SB Nation made?

LOL at Serge Ibaka above John Wall, Chris Paul at #16 and Dwight higher than him, Nerlens Noel higher than Jabari Parker, Drummond at #3 and so on...

Just terrible.

So...Does anyone want to give THEIR top 10 or more? It's quiet this time of the year in the basketball world so why not?

I know these lists get negged like hell, but they're quite interesting.

I'll start. IMO it's gonna be:

1. Lebron. Science makes players last longer and longer these days, Kobe had knee issues, but overcame them and still plays at the highest level well in his 30's. Grant Hill played all the way up to this season after all the problems he's had. Even after ACL tears players come back the same as they were before, some even better. So I'm confident that Lebron, who is built like a tank, plus is one of the most durable players in the league will have a long lasting career and still be at the top at 32 years old.

2. KD. Will be 29 in 2017 and in his prime. Still, I don't think he'll ever be the best player in the league, the only reason being the guy above.

3. D Rose. Yes he is coming off an ACL tear, but there's no reason to think he's not going to be as athletic as he ever was and he's gonna be in his prime in 2017. He said that he's a lot better as a player than he was before the tear. We'll just have to wait and see if that's true, but I believe it is.

4. Russel Westbrook. If only his decision making will just be a tad better than his decisions on what to wear, he's guaranteed to be a top 5 player.

5. James Harden. I feel like this will get me negs but he was 23 last season and will be 28 in 2017. His defense needs major improvement but there's no reason to believe that that he's not going to improve steadily like he has since when he came to the league. He has the work ethic and the physical tools to eventually be a good defender. On the offensive end, what he did as a 23 year old was already great. He's only gonna get better and better.

6. Kyrie Irving. He's only gonna be 25 in 2017 but he is amazing already. One of the most skilled players I've ever seen. Hey, maybe Cleveland is gonna have a decent team by then and let Kyrie show that he's not just the best player on a bad team? But seriously, think of what this kid is gonna be 4 seasons form now?

7. Stephen Curry. All depends on his fragile ankles, but the dude is already the best shooter in the Nba. He's crafty, he's quick (enough) and he's young. And he's gonna be a hell of a player in 2017 if he stays healthy.

8. John Wall. Serge Ibaka is a great player no doubt, but the fact that he's above Wall on that list is a joke. What I saw from Wall towards the end of the season leads me to believe that he's gonna be a top 10 player in the league. I mean even in his rookie season he dished out 8 assists to a mediocre Wizards team every night. As his jumpshot improves he's gonna be an all around point guard capable of doing everything.

9. Anthony Davis. I'm not totally sure if 2017 is far enough as he is only going to be 24 by that time. But when he polishes his game he's gonna be one of those guys who's gonna get a statline of 25pts., 17reb., 5blk. and you won't be surprised anymore, because he's gonna do it every other night. You won't be surprised the same way as you're not when Lebron gets 29,11& 7 because you're just used to it.

10. CP3. With his skill-set and drive to win I won't be surprised if he's just as good as now when he's 32 in 2017. He already had injury problems in his career, but with the treatment top athletes get these days it's less likely that his prime and his career will be shortened by injuries

Next in line (no particular order): Wiggins, Dwight, Griffin, Love, Jabari, DMC (if he grows up), George, Rondo, Drummond.

SDE
SDE's picture
dumb post

Nobody knows if these players will even be playing in 2017 injuries do happen.

jmarg25
jmarg25's picture
Well yea nobody can predict

Well yea nobody can predict injuries, but it's not a dumb post.

wrector
wrector's picture
Pretty silly article. It's

Pretty silly article. It's not even worth going to all that work because its a completely useless list. Trying to rank players who haven't even played an NBA game, let alone a college game, among proven NBA players...why?

GottaBeTheShoes
Especially putting Drummond

Especially putting Drummond at 3.. I know Drummond has a lot of potential but he has proven very little, while Westbrook, Rose, Kyrie (who is only 21), etc have at least shown the ability to play.

Not to mention, you can't predict injuries, Kyrie and Wall both have injury question marks right now.

Wiggins hasn't played a game in college and apparently he's a superstar by the time he's 22, that's pretty damn rare. This poor kid is overhyped and it's sad, he's not the next Lebron, quit putting him under that pressure.

Read 91-100, it's a good laugh.

In fact a lot of these don't really make much sense to me. If KD can surpass Lebron that quickly, he must be a beast by then. This is just a silly thing to try predict.

@OP, I do like your list though.. Definitely prefer it to the article.

Mikez
Mikez's picture
The trade ideas on this forum

The trade ideas on this forum are better than that top 100

razorSHARPE
razorSHARPE's picture
In 2017...

I'll still be a worthless single and settle for game shows

http://cache.bordom.net/server/?type=image&size=full&id=aHR0cDovL3gwMjYudXBsb2FkZXJ4Lm5ldC94L2ZhZ290Mi5naWY%3D

Shouts to McKrypt. #WeOutChere

Memphis Madness
Top 25 in 2017 1. Kevin

Top 25 in 2017

1. Kevin Durant -- the man child who should be in top form in 2017.

2. Derrick Rose -- best point guard coming up. Already has one MVP under his belt and will also be in his prime in 2017.

3. LeBron James-- I am expecting a sweep for LeBron in 2013-2014 (MVP, title, Finals MVP, DPOY), and eventually a four-peat, but by 2017 he will have a lot of mileage on him, especially because I think he will go after one final gold medal in Rio. 2016-2017 will be LeBron's 14th season so he will still be awesome, but maybe not at the top of the list. I still expect 24 points, 7 rebounds, and 6 assists though. Look for the Heat (or another team) to manage his minutes too.

4. Russell Westbrook -- Westbrook is the other half of the league's best superstar combo. Actually the best super star combo at this point since Jordan and Pippen in 1995-1996.

5. Kyrie Irving -- So smooth, so polished. A pure point guard with an awesome shot. Think Chris Paul with better range.

6. Paul George -- the third best wing in the game behind Durant and LeBron. So fun to watch, so much talent. The leader of a great Pacers contender.

7. Steph Curry -- video game shot and nifty passing too. Would be higher except for nagging injuries.

8. John Wall -- another premier point guard, and the guy who single handedly brought NBA basketball back to DC. A perennial MVP candidate now.

9. Kevin Love -- Has put up fantasy league stats forever, and that hasn't changed. Still putting up digits, but is now winning more. Having figured out the game, the T Wolves are THE must see game on NBA TV every night.

10. Ricky Rubio -- Kevin Love's partner in crime and the Stockton to Love's Mailman. The reigning assist king is making pass-first point guards trendy again.

11. Blake Griffin -- the new Human Highlight Film is in his prime and still dunking strong. Has also added some nice post moves and a legit 18 foot jumper.

12. James Harden -- Silky smooth and herky-jerky at the same time. He can score, pass, and get to the line. The Howard, Harden, Lin squad has peaked but James Harden keeps rolling on. This beard ain't gray yet.

13. Andrew Wiggins -- top 5 talent and athleticism, but he is still learning the game. The league's best dunker since Vince already has a couple of dunk crowns under his belt and also has a terrific slashing game. His shot is improving (career high in 3 point percentage so look for him to move up even higher on this ranking).

14. Andre Drummond -- somewhere between Dwight Howard and Shaq. Best shot blocker and rebounder among young bigs. Still dreadful from the line but he can still overpower nearly any center and has even added a nice drop step and a quick jump hook to his arsenal.

15. Anthony Davis -- One of the better guys in the league. May not have SUPERSTAR stats or upside at this point but he is a real gamer who can win games with offense or defense.

16. Brad Beal -- one of the last few true shooting guards in the league. Lighting up DC and the perfect complement to John Wall.

17. Rajon Rondo -- the current elder statesman of point guards. Still getting 10 plus assists a game, getting steals and rebounding. Also shooting better and added some nice Tony Parker-esque moves for a resurgent Boston Celtics team.

18. Julius Randle -- a true beast. A legit power forward with low post moves but also some versatility. Compares very favorably to a prime Z Bo but with more athleticism and better passing skills.

19. Brook Lopez -- still a bit too soft and still not the best rebounder, but one of the best scoring bigs in the game. Often overlooked but still a guy who can score 20 plus points on any given night.

20. Victor Oladipo -- a high octane, high motor guy who packs a lot of punch at the 2 guard spot. Can lock guys down like a prime Tony Allen, Alvin Robertson, or Sidney Moncrief, but can also slash a bit like D Wade. He won't score 40 every night but count on him for 18-20 points, 5-6 rebounds, and 4-5 assists every game.

21. Kawhi Leonard -- the lone holdover from the Duncan-Parker-Ginobili days is still getting it done in San Antonio even if his stats haven't rocketed up like many thought they would. Still good for 17 points and 8 boards a night with a couple of steals and blocks thrown in. Basically this era's Shawn Marion with even better on ball defense. Still not a knock down shooter from straight away, but he has perfected the corner 3.

22. DeMarcus Cousins. Cousins gives you more positives and negatives than anyone. Goes for 22 and 11 every night with decent assist numbers, but also turns it over at a high rate and takes too many bad shots. He's still highly combustible and not as clutch as you would like. Reminds many people in Sacto of Chris Webber (both good and bad).

23. Nerlens Noel -- the best shot blocker in the league by far. Runs the floor very well and can effect the game without scoring. His rebounding has steadily improved every year and is not close to dominating in that category too. Still not the best shooter but he only takes shots he can make. His jump hook is decent and can now do it with either hand. He's worked on his free throws so he is ok there too. Also one of the best passers among centers.

24. Marc Gasol -- the elder statesman among big men. Uses his smarts to score just as well as ever. He has added even more moves to his tool set and is still hitting mid-range jumpers as well as ever. Good rebounder, and is still the best passing big man in the game. Gives you great all-around low post defense too. So smart and talented. One of the best leaders in the game too. A true all-star center.

25. Jabari Parker. Part of the mythical 2014 draft class. Not as high on this list as Wiggins or Randle, but Parker might be an even better shooter and pure scorer. Not the athlete as Wiggins and lacks Randle's strength (or even his passing creativity) but he can hold his own on offense. Good for 20 points a night while still chipping in on the boards and on defense. Carmelo Anthony successfully passed the torch to Jabari Parker.

Memphis Madness
How do I lose 4 points for

How do I lose 4 points for trying to predict the Top 25 in 2017?

Mikez
Mikez's picture
Then you lost 4 more points

Then you lost 4 more points for asking why you lost 4 points, this forum is funner if you forget about points

@activehustle
@activehustle's picture
LOL you got negs cuzz your

LOL you got negs cuzz your picks were horrible! Marc Gasol in the the top 25??

Memphis Madness
^^^ I think I lost points for

^^^

I think I lost points for not making this a Top 50 List. lol

So, now I will complete the list by the end of the night.

Lipstick
Lipstick's picture
Please don't lol

Please don't lol

Hallstrom
European Baller b1tching

European Baller b1tching about why Antetokoumpo is not in Top 10...

JordanC20
Not denying James Harden is a

Not denying James Harden is a good basketball player but that is all he is GOOD..overrated

RSS: Syndicate content