This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar Clean187 7 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
    OhCanada-
    Participant

Whats going on with Sacramentos pick and how is Philly and Chicago involved. Ive seen this information confused and a ton of wrong awnsers so Ill set it straight for everyone. Basically the Kings are screwed but we all knew that. I should just end the thread there but it gets worse.

Philly owns the right to swap picks Sacramento if its top 10 the pick is peotected 11-30 because if the Chicago situation. So if Sacramento ends up with a better record than Philly the76ers will swap picks.

Chicago owns the right to Sacramento’s pick this year if Sacramento ends up with the 11th to 30th record. If the pick is 1st to 10th the pick is protected but the Kings then convey a 2nd round pick.

If Philly swaps picks with the Kings and the swapped pick is outside of the Top 10 it is then conveyed to Chicago. If Philly swaps picks and the swapped pick is inside the top 10 they keep it.

So the Kings can still retain a pick this year but both them and Philly will have to finish in the bottom 10 if the league standings. Even if this does happen the Kings will be destined to another mid-low lotto pick.

Chewy
    Participant

Chicago could get their hands on that pick. Each time Sac fell just inside their pick protection range. Chicago is in a rough situation and getting a player will some potential for once would be a nice change. Sure Doug and Denzel look solid. I like em. But who honestly thinks either will even make an ASG?

Hitster
    Participant

Cheers for explaining that OhCanada. The best that Sacramento could hope for is that they finish with similar record to Philly inside top 10 or Philly end up in the draft lottery or they both end up in the lottery.

Philly will effectively have two shots at the lottery and takes best of those and also has a possible Lakers pick as high as 4.

Chicago could end up with a couple of decent first rounders too (including their own)| so their front office will have a few options in the draft or some very nice trade ammo. 

Endlessknight
    Participant

Pretty sure if the Kings pick is top ten before the swap they get to keep it, even if it ends up being outside the top ten after the swap with the Sixers.

Swim34061
    Participant

Here’s a question I’ve not seen answered…does Philly have the ability/right to pass on the swap?  Say Philly finishes just 1 spot behind Sacramento in the top 10 and doesn’t think jumping one spot is super valuable…do they HAVE to exercise the option to swap or can they roll this forward to next year? 

Endlessknight
      Participant

Why would a team NOT want to move up, for free, in a draft?

Swim34061
    Participant

Because if it…for instance…yielded a better long term result to pass in the short term.

But that’s my question…do they have the ability to punt it to next year for example, where they could theoratically benefit even more?

Endlessknight
      Participant

How could it possibly lead to better long term results?

OhCanada-
        Participant

Some teams used to.forfiet thier 1st round pick for cap savings. I think thats what is being suggested although either way it is very unlikely they would do this.

Edit.-NVM I was completely wrong with my interpretation of the question. Im not sure if they have that right its a good question. I dont think they would pass on it though in risk of Sacramento finishing outside of the top 10 therefore making them miss out. Its too risky.

Swim34061
    Participant

The Kings have been in the lottery (top 10 actually) for the past 10 seasons.  They’re quickly headed there again this year and have given little indication next year would be any different.

Philly meanwhile is certainly on the ascend and will likely be a non-lottery team next season.

Therefore – stirctly as an example – if the Kings finished post lottery 8th and Philly 9th, I would personally take the 9th pick and the right to swap the following season where they will almost certainly be a wider gap between the picks, versus moving up a single spot and probably have a non-lotto selection next year.

But my question was really whether this was a use it or lose it situation or if there were any implication if that swap weren’t exercised this season or not.

Clean187
    Participant

Philly can’t kick the can on the pick swap. It can only be exercised this year, or not at all.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login