This topic contains 18 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar bigheavy 8 years, 1 month ago.

• Author
    r377r377
    r377
    Participant

Do you think Tyus Jones will be good enough to take the starting job away from Rubio at some stage next season ?

Kokayne_Dawkinz
    Participant

I think the T Wolves should give Jones a shit to run the team and if he struggle they should reach deep into the PG stacked draft of 2017 and try to draft Smith, Fox,Ball, Fultz, or even Nktalia(spell check)

Kokayne_Dawkinz
    Participant

I think the T Wolves should give Jones a shit to run the team and if he struggle they should reach deep into the PG stacked draft of 2017 and try to draft Smith, Fox,Ball, Fultz, or even Nktalia(spell check)

Biggysmalls
    Participant

I’ve been one of the drivers of the "anti-Rubio" train. His inability to score at even a backup PG level combined with his overrated defensive play makes him a guy that I’ve long disliked. 

that said, there’s no chance Tyus Jones passes Rubio. Jones makes Rubio look like the Glove 2.0 defensively. He’s really bad. That was kind of expected given he’s not the biggest or most explosive guy out there but its been scary. 

He’s also nowhere near as competent at running a team compared to Rubio. Granted Rubio is very good at the old school point guard things like running an offense, getting guys shots and getting things organized. 

Jones should be an okay backup PG, expecting him to be a starter or heavy minute guy is just setting yourself up for disappointment. 

wonzi_bells
      Participant

Especially, if you’re wanting to make that switch next season. I’m not putting my trust into Jones as a starter for a team that hasn’t realized their defensive potential yet to mask Jones’ abilities on that end, not to mention that he’d only be a second-year player.

Let Rubio be the training wheels for Towns, Wiggins and Lavine still. For as much space as he kills for them out there, he honestly still is making the team better on that end. 

Also, mentioned above, the thought to wait for a point guard in the 2017 NBA Draft seems like the ideal place for a Rubio replacement. That class is stacked with point guards like it’s 2009. Also, outside of picking Simmons in this upcoming draft and/or signing Mike Conley or Nicolas Batum or someone equal or better (i.e. Chandler Parson, Kevin Durant, and not Harrison Barnes, Kent Bazemore or Evan Fournier), I do not see the Timberwolves making the playoffs in the 2016-17 NBA Season.

I saw in another tread thinking that the Timberwolves could follow an OKC path with their model, which is theory is correct with how Wiggins and Towns are two potential stars like Durant and Westbrook. It’s just those players and their surrounding teammates at the time with Sefolosha, Jeff Green, Harden, Krstic, Nick Collison, Ibaka and Maynor all fit with each other and had specified roles. Then their best player was on his in third year in Durant and could create and score at each level of the court while Minnesota’s best player seems like it’s Towns already and he’ll be a year behind in second season and can’t create a shot like Durant can while Wiggins’ isn’t yet efficient in doing so. Then surrounding players aren’t best fit as well. Dieng is best played at the five, Muhammad doesn’t space for Wiggins all that well, Wiggins and Lavine are both at their best at the same spot and Rubio’s spacing is still an issue if the goal is playoffs.

So, if I were to bet, I’m not sure I like the chances of the Wolves making the playoff next season still, so that 2017 NBA Draft pick would still be available in a spot where they might be able to grab one of the many point guards in that draft. Plus, with management still in limbo with Newton and Mitchell and the potential minority stakes sale to Kaplan, I don’t think they should make any major longterm moves, outside of the draft and role player signings, without solving that issue first and then taking the time to analyze and get familiar the with the team and their needs.

wonzi_bells
      Participant

Especially, if you’re wanting to make that switch next season. I’m not putting my trust into Jones as a starter for a team that hasn’t realized their defensive potential yet to mask Jones’ abilities on that end, not to mention that he’d only be a second-year player.

Let Rubio be the training wheels for Towns, Wiggins and Lavine still. For as much space as he kills for them out there, he honestly still is making the team better on that end. 

Also, mentioned above, the thought to wait for a point guard in the 2017 NBA Draft seems like the ideal place for a Rubio replacement. That class is stacked with point guards like it’s 2009. Also, outside of picking Simmons in this upcoming draft and/or signing Mike Conley or Nicolas Batum or someone equal or better (i.e. Chandler Parson, Kevin Durant, and not Harrison Barnes, Kent Bazemore or Evan Fournier), I do not see the Timberwolves making the playoffs in the 2016-17 NBA Season.

I saw in another tread thinking that the Timberwolves could follow an OKC path with their model, which is theory is correct with how Wiggins and Towns are two potential stars like Durant and Westbrook. It’s just those players and their surrounding teammates at the time with Sefolosha, Jeff Green, Harden, Krstic, Nick Collison, Ibaka and Maynor all fit with each other and had specified roles. Then their best player was on his in third year in Durant and could create and score at each level of the court while Minnesota’s best player seems like it’s Towns already and he’ll be a year behind in second season and can’t create a shot like Durant can while Wiggins’ isn’t yet efficient in doing so. Then surrounding players aren’t best fit as well. Dieng is best played at the five, Muhammad doesn’t space for Wiggins all that well, Wiggins and Lavine are both at their best at the same spot and Rubio’s spacing is still an issue if the goal is playoffs.

So, if I were to bet, I’m not sure I like the chances of the Wolves making the playoff next season still, so that 2017 NBA Draft pick would still be available in a spot where they might be able to grab one of the many point guards in that draft. Plus, with management still in limbo with Newton and Mitchell and the potential minority stakes sale to Kaplan, I don’t think they should make any major longterm moves, outside of the draft and role player signings, without solving that issue first and then taking the time to analyze and get familiar the with the team and their needs.

Biggysmalls
    Participant

I’ve been one of the drivers of the "anti-Rubio" train. His inability to score at even a backup PG level combined with his overrated defensive play makes him a guy that I’ve long disliked. 

that said, there’s no chance Tyus Jones passes Rubio. Jones makes Rubio look like the Glove 2.0 defensively. He’s really bad. That was kind of expected given he’s not the biggest or most explosive guy out there but its been scary. 

He’s also nowhere near as competent at running a team compared to Rubio. Granted Rubio is very good at the old school point guard things like running an offense, getting guys shots and getting things organized. 

Jones should be an okay backup PG, expecting him to be a starter or heavy minute guy is just setting yourself up for disappointment. 

nath09
    Participant

I always like the thought of using a late draft pick on NCAA championship winning point guard. You get a winner, team leader and generally smart player. Looks like the T-Wolves certainly didn’t mess it up. 

nath09
    Participant

I always like the thought of using a late draft pick on NCAA championship winning point guard. You get a winner, team leader and generally smart player. Looks like the T-Wolves certainly didn’t mess it up. 

Mopgrass
    Participant

Tyus could be a good backup some day. However, a pass first 3-point shooting PG is exactly what they should be looking for. Tyus Jones is that, he’s just not the right one. They need a higher caliber version of the same guy. Frankly, there’s a shortage of lights-out, pass-first PG’s. 

Mopgrass
    Participant

Tyus could be a good backup some day. However, a pass first 3-point shooting PG is exactly what they should be looking for. Tyus Jones is that, he’s just not the right one. They need a higher caliber version of the same guy. Frankly, there’s a shortage of lights-out, pass-first PG’s. 

machu46
    Participant

Is it possible that the Wolves move Rubio in the offseason?  Yes.

Is it possible that Rubio is benched in favor of Tyus Jones? No.  Rubio is far, far better.  Rubio is an above-average starting PG IMO.

bigheavy
      Participant

I agree. I believe they actually end up moving Rubio this offseason. If they can get someone of value and maybe a pick in return Rubio is out of there. They have a lot of young talent, if they can move him and get one or two role players and a pick, then thats the move. 

bigheavy
      Participant

I agree. I believe they actually end up moving Rubio this offseason. If they can get someone of value and maybe a pick in return Rubio is out of there. They have a lot of young talent, if they can move him and get one or two role players and a pick, then thats the move. 

machu46
    Participant

Is it possible that the Wolves move Rubio in the offseason?  Yes.

Is it possible that Rubio is benched in favor of Tyus Jones? No.  Rubio is far, far better.  Rubio is an above-average starting PG IMO.

Dazzling Dunks and Basketball Bloopers
    Participant

Jones pt has been extremely limited this year. I would need to see more of him at the NBA level before making a determination about whether he can ultimately be a starting pg in this league or would be better served as a backup. There are things I absolutely loved about his game at the college level but so far the sample size has just been too small to see how his game translates to the NBA.

I do fully expect the Wolves to move on from rubio by the end of next season, possibly sooner, when and if the right offer presents itself.

Dazzling Dunks and Basketball Bloopers
    Participant

Jones pt has been extremely limited this year. I would need to see more of him at the NBA level before making a determination about whether he can ultimately be a starting pg in this league or would be better served as a backup. There are things I absolutely loved about his game at the college level but so far the sample size has just been too small to see how his game translates to the NBA.

I do fully expect the Wolves to move on from rubio by the end of next season, possibly sooner, when and if the right offer presents itself.

BossOzz
    Participant

He’s a solid third guard. And he’s still only 19, won’t turn 20 till the summer. But if you can get something from rubio, possibly a late or mid first rounder in this (weaker) draft, then yo can be bad one more year. That’s the key. With Towns and Wiggs, they don’t have a whole lot of time to get top tier guys from the draft. Those guys are getting too good. So grab best available (hopefully Brown) in this draft, trade rubio (who doesn’t have a high cieling as a starting guard for a contender) suck for one more year with a growing Jones and Lavine as the lead guards, and then next year grab a guy who has potential for all-star games. I like Rubio, but he’s underqualified to be a starter on the kind of team that Wiggs and Towns will lead. Jones can’t start for that team either, but by starting him and givnig him a ton of minutes, you ensure that you’ll get a chance for a top guard in next year’s draft, as well as giving Jonse valuable minutes for when he becomes a solid back up.

BossOzz
    Participant

He’s a solid third guard. And he’s still only 19, won’t turn 20 till the summer. But if you can get something from rubio, possibly a late or mid first rounder in this (weaker) draft, then yo can be bad one more year. That’s the key. With Towns and Wiggs, they don’t have a whole lot of time to get top tier guys from the draft. Those guys are getting too good. So grab best available (hopefully Brown) in this draft, trade rubio (who doesn’t have a high cieling as a starting guard for a contender) suck for one more year with a growing Jones and Lavine as the lead guards, and then next year grab a guy who has potential for all-star games. I like Rubio, but he’s underqualified to be a starter on the kind of team that Wiggs and Towns will lead. Jones can’t start for that team either, but by starting him and givnig him a ton of minutes, you ensure that you’ll get a chance for a top guard in next year’s draft, as well as giving Jonse valuable minutes for when he becomes a solid back up.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login